Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Miami Dolphins Preseason Game Three
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdolfan wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
Since we are seeing just how crappy Miami's receivers are in game three, might as well post this here. Per rotoworld:

Quote:
According to the Miami Herald, Dolphins third-round TE Michael Egnew has been "terrible" in training camp.
The Herald's Armando Salguero isn't pulling punches. The 78th overall pick in the draft, Egnew was also told by OC Mike Sherman on Hard Knocks that he'd be "cut today" if Sherman were the Dolphins' general manager. Egnew may make the team because of his draft status, but he won't help Miami this season.

That isn't new. That was two weeks ago in Hard Knocks right? It's just to get under his skin and motivate him.

Reports are that he can't find any separation but his hands are as good as always. He is clearly a project right now.

As of the third quarter our 2nd string defense is playing their 1st string offense.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egnew will be fine its 2 weeks into preseason his head is spinning thats all. Go back and look at alot of the big time TE in there rookie year. heck jermicheal finly had 6 catches.
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While everyone is so quick to blame Naanee, and he did have one clear drop, Tannehill has to place those balls a bit tighter. Still, Tannehill's stats don't tell the whole story and he had an okay night. Same goes for Matt Moore.
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first game I have been able too watch. Tanninhill looked good. Quick release, throws the ball away, threads those tight passed between two DB's. The kid is cocky, and he will get picked a lot this year and that's fine. Its a growing experience. We will get him some help in the draft in regards to WR. We also need a pass catching TE. OLB is a big issue. They double teamed Wake and bake and we had no other pressure.

When the LB's get pressure on the QB it makes the DB's look good. Also, Jimmy Wilson killed a guy and did some hard time. Wild. I liked to see VD return one and ACTUALLY CATCH a ball, even though it was called back. With that said, I like Philben and his no BS attacking offense and the 4 WR and TE sets. Look for Fasano to explode if he can hold onto a ball. Looks like we are running an "let the WR's get open or dump it on the TE/RB" offense.

Either way, its good too see the pass game back in Miami.

Larry Little #66
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naanee failed. Plain and simple. This guy had the first 5 of 7 passes thrown his way and didn't catch one. I know Tannehill needs to be more accurate but almost all of his passes were catch-able and as a rookie his receivers need to help him out and make those catches. It's ridiculous to ask a rookie QB to help the veteran WR rather than the vet receiver helping the rookie QB. That's why I could understand if it was one of the younger guys sucking out their with the first stringers but not Naanee. He has no excuse.

I feel like a lot of the problems of the young receivers is the connection. They aren't used to the speed of the ball and can barely get their head around in time to see it. With Garrard and Moore earlier taking the snaps, it's no wonder that they can't get used to Tannehill's passes. With more experience with each other, all of them should get better and avoid the drops.
Judson49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of funny when you think about it that we waited all these years to have a QB, and now we have two who look decent enough to do a job yet we dont have anyone to catch the ball. This despite seemingly having about 500 WR's in the mix.

Not hilarious funny, but funny nonetheless.

Good job Egnew looks set to pick up where Marshall left off. Can only salivate at the prospect of what the other 3rd rounder brings.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Egnew will be fine its 2 weeks into preseason his head is spinning thats all. Go back and look at alot of the big time TE in there rookie year. heck jermicheal finly had 6 catches.

Yeah but didnt Finley get hurt his first season? I recall the coaches being excited about this potential. The issue with Egnew appears different. They seem to doubt his potential. Not able to get seperation when he is suppose to be a pass catching tight end is not good. Laughing Im just saying. That is like having a blocking tight end that cant block. You cant be mediocre at everything and expect coaches to praise you. I am starting to have serious concerns about Miamis second and third round picks this year.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts from the game...

Arrow How differently the two teams approached the games shows the different positions they seem themselves as being. The Dolphins wanted to try out as many people as possible against the Falcons starters in the hope someone would step up, the Falcons wanted to get their finalised starting side as much competitive practice as possible. One team is trying to fill holes, one is trying to build chemistry.

Arrow I think this fed into the formations the Dolphins used as well. Receiver has lots of decisions to be made and TE is pretty much set. I think this is why I don't remember seeing many (or any?) plays where Tannehill was throwing and both Clay and Fasano were on the field.

Arrow The defence finally showed up and played to its potential. Despite missing Dansby/Burnett and Wake playing limited snaps, one of the leagues top offences was held to field goals.

Arrow The drops and number of incompletions were disappointing. This will be overcome somewhat when Hartline returns and Bess plays his full quota of snaps in the real games. Fasano's drops were most disappointing. It was good to see a couple of young guys show flashes, but they need to show it a lot more often.

^ Jamison on the sig.
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this is probably just an ingenius way of getting at the Jets. Revis is the best corner in the game today but he's going to have to cover Legadu Naanee. What a slap in the face.

Ah...a dig at the Jets, I like Philbin already.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
You know, this is probably just an ingenius way of getting at the Jets. Revis is the best corner in the game today but he's going to have to cover Legadu Naanee. What a slap in the face.

Ah...a dig at the Jets, I like Philbin already.
I think this made my day
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...last night was a little disappointing as it was another loss but I'll try to stay positive in the few things I saw.

1.) Ryan Tannehill clearly understands the offense more than normal rookies. He might spend the whole year learning which of his offensive linemen can block and staring down some of his in- and out-breaking routes but truth be told, I'm just happy he seems to be able to throw a good ball with some zip and gets it out fast.

The few positives are that he's got a strong arm, he throws a nice spiral and he seems pretty decisive and quick about getting the ball out. At least more than typical rookies!

Long story short, while we might criticize Tannehill for some things this season, they won't be rookie things, more like sophomore things and that means he's already ahead of the game a little bit and should be able to learn at a faster rate than most rookies. Hopefully he'll get more out of this year than typical guys in his shoes.

2.) Jake Long had some serious issues in pass protection. He's simply not as fast as he needs to be by his appearance last night. Maybe Ovaw can shed some light on it here. It looked to me that he was trying his best to get back away from the LoS to catch the rusher but often let the rusher get inside. Jake Long is going to have to take some time to get used to the demands of this blocking scheme I think. It's possible too that he just isn't going to be as good in it. He allowed a lot of pressure last night.

3.) The right side of the line (Jerry/Martin) looked better after another weeks worth of work, as did the entire line's run-blocking. Reggie Bush is clearly ready to go in this offense and I think we'll start running the ball quite a bit more once the regular season is upon us.

4.) Daniel Thomas looks to have a little bit more to his running ability. He's running with a little more enthusiasm and authority. When Reggie Bush went out and Thomas was put in behind the 1st team offensive line, the running game actually looked pretty good. I'm almost willing to say that it looked a little tougher while not as explosive obviously.

5.) Bess > SUM(WR1:WR10)

6.) Fasano is not a feature TE. While some people would say he had a bad game, he's done that before and for every outstanding game he has, he almost always shows up with a bad one where he drops everything. That's just not something a week-in, week-out player does. We need someone with more speed and better hands. Fasano isn't big, fast or tall for an NFL TE so he needs to have exceptional hands the way a Tony Gonzalez does, but Fasano has shown throughout the last few years, he is not an above-average receiver. We'll need help there unless Fasano changes his game this season.

7.) D-line played a good game against a team that can pass protect really well and likes to run the ball. As someone said, Turner had to earn every yard which was good to see.

8.) Wake got pressure but did anyone else notice Vernon? Dude, he showed up. He and Wake met at the QB for a sack and they celebrated which was great to see but he was pressuring the LT and the LG had to slide his way a couple time. Vernon really made his presence felt, even though the numbers didn't show it.

9.) The LBs looked better and while Guyton had a couple opportunities to get his hands on the football, he at least broke up the play. He stood out but the unit improved versus last weeks performance. Burnett and Dansby need to return BUT I don't feel so bad after seeing Guyton and Misi make a few positive plays.

10.) The DBs are going to be a work in progress. We don't have a single CB who doesn't have a considerable list of faults but maybe together the unit will surprise us and start actually working out. I don't know what to say. When something positive happens, there's a penalty and when's there's not, someone's usually open and catching a ball. We need better coverage and more pass rush but you can't just magically make either one of those appear out of nowhere. Hopefully the unit gels with time this season.

11.) Anyone know why Marcus Thigpen is returning kicks? He hasn't shown anything to me. He doesn't look scary fast and he doesn't appear to be shifty and elusive. He doesn't seem to have the instincts for it either yet he's been out there for the past dozen or so returns through these last couple weeks. I'd rather put one of our other WRs out there. I don't see anything in Thigpen.

12.) The weather was horrendous, anybody see that? Before the game and during Matt Moore's time towards the end it was torrential. I hope Ryan Tannehill can throw in that. I was hoping he would pick up a ball and start throwing to someone on the sidelines just to get a feel for it. I'm sure he'll work on throwing some wet balls in practice though.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome write-up, I agree with everything. The only thing left to answer is what are we gonna do about receivers and TE's. Is Clay gonna get a chance to play more often? Will we see more two TE sets as a result? Will Fasano stay blocking like he normally has. Hartline coming back should help the team but who is gonna be our number three? Please not Naanee. We saw a lot of shotgun snaps with 3 and 4 receiver sets. Meaning that number 3 and 4 will be important to the team. Right now, I hope one of them is Rishard Mathews, he looks ot be the fastest(next to Gates) and although he might have some drops, gives us the best chance to get some YAC or a big play.

Dolphins stats so far: http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=MIA
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little I've seen of the scheme so far this preseason, it looks like quick, elusive and fast WRs are going to be the key. The problem we face is that while a few of our WRs may have decent hands, an even smaller number of them (maybe a couple) offer any speed.

Fasano is hot and cold in the hands department but clearly lacks athleticism.

Clay, so far, hasn't show much ability to separate either. I think we'll see him play but the coaches probably trust Fasano more. Clay showing some athleticism and speed could help his case.

Hartline's route-running and straight-line speed is dearly missed right now. What Gates does offer in that department is off-set by his lack-luster abilities to get positioned and to catch the ball. If he could polish his skills as a WR, he could benefit the offense but right now he still looks raw.

Matthews is my favorite amongst the younger, unproven WRs. I think he's got solid speed and solid hands. That combination makes him at least able to contribute as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Rishard Matthews returning kicks either as I recall he displayed some respectable speed back there on at least one occasion early in the preseason. Maybe the coaches don't trust his hands or something. I'm not sure why Thigpen seems to have been given the nod.

Either way, we're suffering right now with a lack of separation amongst all of our pass-catchers. Until we get some of the fast guys to catch I think we'll be hurting there. We can already see how Tannehill is trying to fit the ball into some windows that just aren't open. Before I criticize Tannehill I think we need to realize that those windows are often open for other guys around the league to throw into.

I know I said last year that we need a Desean Jackson type of guy...in a sense I think we still do. But any way you slice it, anybody with some ability to get separation would help right now.

**As an aside to what I mentioned, I would point out that this reasoning is part of why I didn't mind seeing Brandon Marshall go. While I believe he has a lot to offer, I don't necessarily think Marshall fits in the 'quick, elusive and fast' category of guys we want for this offense. I would relate Brandon Marshall to Jake Long. Both are terrific football players but neither is really ideal for what the Dolphins are trying to do. Marshall offers size where we want speed and Long offers strength where we want athleticism.

For the sake of interest, I might ask you...what's worse? Getting two 3rd-round picks for a WR that isn't what you ideally want or getting nothing for a free agent LT who does't fit your scheme when he leaves as a free agent? Just some food for thought guys since Jake Long's contract ends after this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: