Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ramses Barden! He Lives!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Ramses Barden! He Lives! Reply with quote

I'll admit I've been one of the people saying that Barden has had enough time to prove himself, and shouldn't make the final 53... until last night. He looked very good. Not afraid to go over the middle and gave a veteran corner fits at the goal line (you were right Shockey1979). He looked like a guy that could be a decent receiver in this league, and our 4rth best receiver behind Nicks, Cruz and Randle. He was also given a shot on special teams, and hopefully the coaches saw a glimmer of hope there to help his case.

Some other preseason week 3 random thoughts...

- Let's stay on the topic of receivers. Jerrel Jernigan? Bueller? Bueller? I'm not going to say we should cut just yet, but he's been booted off of kick return duties and I remember only one pass being thrown his way. He's become an afterthought. Right now, he's our 6th best receiver. And if we're keeping only six, I'm very tempted to take David Douglas over him because at the very least he can catch punts.

- I said it last week and I'll say it again, David Wilson is our only hope for the running game. Our offensive line can't create a hole to save their life, and Wilson's ability to improvise, get on the edge and make people miss is going to be the only way we make plays in the running game. There is something about the way Wilson carried himself that nagged me though. Some players are very energetic - they jump up immediately after getting tackled, they're high five-ing and fist bumping and laughing. Just high energy guys that are clearly loving the game. Ahmad Bradshaw is one of those guys. And I thought Wilson was going to be that type of player for us judging by some of his interviews. He was not that guy last night. He didn't seem excited, happy or energetic even after his big plays. Obviously it doesn't matter if he's busting off 30 yard gains, but the way he carried himself bothered me a bit.

- Staying on the running back topic. I really think the Giants need to scour the waiver wire after the cutdown to 53. Unfortunately, because DJ Ware knows the playbook well and can block on third down, he's going to be on the roster. If it were up to me, he wouldn't be. Andre Brown and Darel Scott haven't shown me much of anything. Khalil Bell is out there and is a better option, and James Starks and Chris Ivory may also be out there soon. I'd give them a look.

- I had no problem with the first false start flag on Eli. It's ok to use voice inflection, but once you start getting all herky jerky and somebody jumps, that's not fair. But the call on David Carr was BS.

- Rough start for Prince's career. I'm really hoping he bounces back, but it appears that we may be in a bit of a pickle at corner until then. At the moment, our 2nd best healthy corner is Michael Coe? Bruce Johnson? I don't even know. I wonder why hasn't Antwaun Molden been given a bigger opportunity. I thought he could be a decent addition for us.

- Will Hill is a lock for the roster at this point and saw playing time very early in the game last night. It's easy to see what the Giants coaches love about him. Long, fast and very aggressive. He is the Deon Grant replacement. I love it when Reese finds gems like this.

- The backup defensive tackles looked good. Marcus Thomas was as advertised. Very strong at the point of attack and actually created some havoc, by pushing his blockers into the pocket. But, he's not a quick penetrating type like Rocky Bernard. Markus Kuhn was once again very active and may be a tough cut. Do the Giants go with 4 or 5 DTs usually? I'd be tempted to IR Austin if the back issue is something that lingers.

- I don't appreciate CBS spending 3 minutes of national broadcast time talking about Bryant Gumble and Dumbledorf (or whatever his name is) becoming grandfathers and showing pictures. The only people that really care about you becoming a grandfather is your immediate family. I get that it's a special moment for you, but the rest of the country couldn't care less.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

- I said it last week and I'll say it again, David Wilson is our only hope for the running game. Our offensive line can't create a hole to save their life, and Wilson's ability to improvise, get on the edge and make people miss is going to be the only way we make plays in the running game. There is something about the way Wilson carried himself that nagged me though. Some players are very energetic - they jump up immediately after getting tackled, they're high five-ing and fist bumping and laughing. Just high energy guys that are clearly loving the game. Ahmad Bradshaw is one of those guys. And I thought Wilson was going to be that type of player for us judging by some of his interviews. He was not that guy last night. He didn't seem excited, happy or energetic even after his big plays. Obviously it doesn't matter if he's busting off 30 yard gains, but the way he carried himself bothered me a bit.

- Staying on the running back topic. I really think the Giants need to scour the waiver wire after the cutdown to 53. Unfortunately, because DJ Ware knows the playbook well and can block on third down, he's going to be on the roster. If it were up to me, he wouldn't be. Andre Brown and Darel Scott haven't shown me much of anything. Khalil Bell is out there and is a better option, and James Starks and Chris Ivory may also be out there soon. I'd give them a look.

As for the bolded part, neither did Barry Sanders... I am not saying that Wilson will be the next Sanders cause let's be honest there will never be another RB like him. I just want him to be the best David Wilson he can be. I did not mind the way that he carried himself on the field last night. To me it seemed like he took a page out of Eli's book and conducted himself in a professional manner. Jumping up and down, and fist pumping isn't needed to get your team or yourself fired up when you are breaking tackles and busting long runs. I also think that the more he see's the field the more that his personality will start to come out as the rookie jitters start to fade.

I think you're right about Ware making the roster, but we should not be giving up on Scott just yet. He hasn't really produced out of the backfield, but he has made plays on ST. I think he gets the nod over Brown. I am not in favor of cutting Scott for one of the players mentioned above, but if it means cutting Ware I would be open to it.
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised by Wilson at all, he just takes his profession very seriously. I wouldn't worry what his teammates think of him because he's the leader type (and definitely a bit nervous).

Where was this Barden all along? You have to keep the guy after that route he ran against Tillman. Problem is I also love Douglas.

I actually thought Scott looked good in multiple facets despite no blocking from the O-Line (common theme, huh?)

DTs were very impressive throughout the game

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IbleedBLUE24 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

As for the bolded part, neither did Barry Sanders... I am not saying that Wilson will be the next Sanders cause let's be honest there will never be another RB like him. I just want him to be the best David Wilson he can be. I did not mind the way that he carried himself on the field last night. To me it seemed like he took a page out of Eli's book and conducted himself in a professional manner. Jumping up and down, and fist pumping isn't needed to get your team or yourself fired up when you are breaking tackles and busting long runs. I also think that the more he see's the field the more that his personality will start to come out as the rookie jitters start to fade.

I think you're right about Ware making the roster, but we should not be giving up on Scott just yet. He hasn't really produced out of the backfield, but he has made plays on ST. I think he gets the nod over Brown. I am not in favor of cutting Scott for one of the players mentioned above, but if it means cutting Ware I would be open to it.

What he said. About Wilson/Sanders that is. It was great to scroll down and see that someone else had already said it. Sanders could pull off a 99 yard TD run and he'd just toss the ball to the ref and get off the field so they could kick the XP.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:
I'm not surprised by Wilson at all, he just takes his profession very seriously. I wouldn't worry what his teammates think of him because he's the leader type (and definitely a bit nervous).

Where was this Barden all along? You have to keep the guy after that route he ran against Tillman. Problem is I also love Douglas.

I actually thought Scott looked good in multiple facets despite no blocking from the O-Line (common theme, huh?)

DTs were very impressive throughout the game

Nice to see barden have a good game last night but I'm still not sold... Tillman was as much responsible for that TD as Barden was... He went fade the whole way any receiver in the league would be able to pick that up and go slant... Best game I've seen from him but one route does not get you on the team IMO...

Agree that Jernigan was disappointing again and barden probably deserves a spot over him now but I just don't see them cutting a 2nd year guy that is more versatile (potentially) than barden...

Finally, agree with previous poster that douglas probably ends up on the practice squad this year with a pretty good shot of making the team next year... At this point I would guess they end up taking nicks, cruz, randle, hixon, jernigan, and barden/stanback
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: