Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Patriot Does NOT take the next step?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: What Patriot Does NOT take the next step? Reply with quote

Preseason is all about being positive. If every positive prediction came true, every team would be 16-0, and make the Super Bowl. Obviously, not everything will be positive even for the most successful teams. Which young New England player will not take the next step and thereby fail to live up to expectations?
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things not looking great for Patrick Chung. I could definitely see Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson being the starting safeties by season's end.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Things not looking great for Patrick Chung. I could definitely see Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson being the starting safeties by season's end.

Was going to say the same...kid has serious potential, but we've been waiting on that for a couple of a seasons now...plus he's just too fragile.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 58 Yards: 812 TDs: 9
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

Bottom line is I can see Chung being a disappointment, but not to the point of getting benched.
Tavon Wilson has good tools. But safety is a tough position for a rookie to play. If he can figure it out fast enough to unseat Chung, who is a pretty good player even if an underachiever, I'll be shocked. Plus, even if Chung does not improve over the offseason (which I can see being the case), merely playing next to Gregory instead of Ihedigbo should put him in a more natural role for his skills.

My pick for "does not take the next step" would be Myron Pryor.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Bottom line is I can see Chung being a disappointment, but not to the point of getting benched.
Tavon Wilson has good tools. But safety is a tough position for a rookie to play. If he can figure it out fast enough to unseat Chung, who is a pretty good player even if an underachiever, I'll be shocked. Plus, even if Chung does not improve over the offseason (which I can see being the case), merely playing next to Gregory instead of Ihedigbo should put him in a more natural role for his skills.

But realistically, what are our expectations for Pryor? That he'll be a rotational DT, behind Wilfork, Love and probably Brace.
Chung, we expected to be the next Rodney Harrison.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
rabbisson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jinx Patriots players like crazy, so I shan't be posting in this thread Wink.

(See my last two Adopt-a-Patriots, Darius Butler and Sebastian Vollmer.)

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

But realistically, what are our expectations for Pryor? That he'll be a rotational DT, behind Wilfork, Love and probably Brace.
Chung, we expected to be the next Rodney Harrison.

OK, I can see what you're saying.

Chung did have high expectations for sure. But whether he irons out the inconsistencies in his game or not, he will be one of our better and more productive players. For next step I'd rather go with someone who can go from a non-factor to productive. I want to see Chung stay healthy more than anything, any improvement would be icing on the cake.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:

Is anyone expecting anything from Pryor at this point? The guy can't stay healthy and is a situational player on the rare occasions he is healthy enough to play. I'm a big fan of his skill-set but I've pretty much written him off at this point.

My pick for "does not take the next step" would be Brandon Spikes or Pat Chung - due to injury reasons more than anything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCourty. He never becomes more than an average of his great rookie season and his horrendous sophomore slump. He is mediocre and forever will be.

Sigs-Taking Requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: