Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

x0x's Worst Films of the Past 20 Years (Top 100, #81 POSTED)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x0x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: x0x's Worst Films of the Past 20 Years (Top 100, #81 POSTED) Reply with quote

Getting some inspiration from another thread. I'm going to do my 2nd Top 100 list on the forum.

This time, it's about atrocious films.

To start, the following characteristics exclude films on this list:

Student Films-A film that was shot with funding or as part of a course.

Self-Funded Ultra Low Budget-It's hard to pick a number but generally films not funded by studios or even independent investors. However there's always a limit. For sake of argument we'll say roughly under $20,000 as that should be the bare minimum for a feature that has satisfactory quality production.

Box Office Hits-Technically speaking, a box office hit is when a film grosses double its budget in net gross. While this may not be agreed upon as grounds for exclusion, we all have to remember that movies are for entertainment, and if enough people enjoyed a film for whatever reason, it cannot be constituted as one of the hundred worst. The other thing to keep in mind is when a film grosses a mass amount, it's going to get more exposure and more hate hand in hand. Thus it would keep us all level headed to exclude these pictures even if we're convinced they suck terribly.

Major Acclaim-So you thought Crash was a preachy overrated film? Well tough luck, it got an Oscar and not only that but the most valued one. Sometimes this is hard to swallow but that's life, and frankly when a film gets major acclaim, be it from Cannes, the Academy or the Golden Globes or BAFTA, it means it can't be THAT bad, even if you still hate it.

So without further a do, I give you #100 on the list, I'll be posting 10 each week (9 from 99-91 this week).

#100. Jack and Jill (2011)

Universally panned, this film is just outside the box constituting a Hit, although it did make some good money.

Let's start with the worst of this film, the jokes. They're not funny. Indeed like many comedies, the best lines most close to funny were in the trailer, and they weren't that great.

The most pathetic distinction here is it's arguably the worst Adam Sandler, movie, far worse than Just Go With It which came out earlier that year. I'm not sure at what point Sandler and the crew thought this was looking funny. I mean, the idea is not completely overdone, but the jokes, execution of them and flow is arbitrary at best.

Additional Scrutiny
5 Razzie Awards
3.4 IMDB Rating
3% RT Rating
23 Metacritic Score

99. Dragonball Evolution (2009)

I'm so happy this didn't make double its budget so I would be free to scrtunize it, because it is so very terrible.

Let's start with not being true to the series it's made from. And when I say that, I mean....well let's say you write a book about 5 cats, one blue, one purple, one white, one black and one red. Their story is to find their way home, like homeward bound. Now someone pays you to use your story and make it into a movie. They make your story into 1 green cat who befriends rocks and goes to a strip club on its way to Las Vegas.

Hope you understood my point.

Not only did this film fail at the box office, but it was universally panned for horrific miscasting, bad effects ( which matter if you're making a dragonball movie ) and dry acting.

Additional Scrutiny
3.1 IMDB Rating
14% RT Rating
1.5 Stars from AllRovi

98. 3000 Miles to Graceland (2001)

A typical bust with star-name actors in Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner. The film cost 62 freaking million dollars. It grossed 18 million worldwide.

It's not so much poor acting that kills this movie (though it's not great) but the sheer predictable plot, simply no speak of rise or climax in the story and for a film that centers around Elvis impersonaters, only one Elvis Presley song in the entire film.

I have to say perhaps I'm judging it too harsly. Perhaps it was just a forgettable film, not a horrendous film. But then the universal panning says different.

Additional Scrutiny
14% RT Rating
21 Metacritic Score
1.5 Stars from AllRovi
5 Razzi Nominations

97. Basic Instinct 2 (2006)

So I'll start off the bat by talking about Sharone Stone in this movie. Old.

As for the acting, plot and execution in the film, cheap. For a 70 million dollar production, this was inexcusable. In terms of a sequel to a classic film? Forgettable.

This is like Caddyshack II in many ways.

I suppose it's slightly redeemable if you have a thing for older women and want to watch a film in HQ video but without needing to follow too closely. Go ahead, put it on in the background while you're cooking, the sountrack isn't ear defeaning.

Additional Scrutiny
7% RT Rating
1.5 Stars from AllRovi
26 Metacritic Score
Won 4 Razzie Awards

96. Highlander Endgame (2000)

Let me assure all of you, if this list was extended to worst films of the last 25 years, Highlander The Quickening would be top 20. Alas, we have this to mull over.

I remember when this first came out on DVD. I hadn't realized it actually played in theaters. It reminded me of some Crow mash-up, as that's who the evil villain in this reminded of.

The redeeming value? Absolutely none. For a film that cost 25 Million, it used most of that on undeserved actor paycheques.

It's funny that at the end of the film when Duncan kills Connor, all Highlander fans must have sighed in that Connor would be spared from more cinematic embarassment.

For those wondering, Highlander The Sorcerer did not make the list. If you look at this film as a idrect sequel, you might just want to end with The Sorcerer.

Additional Scrutiny
11% RT Rating
21 Metacritic Score
1.5 Stars from AllRovi

95.Disaster Movie (2008)

So finally the public didn't give in and let this parody movie make profit. Otherwise Epic movie would definetly be on this list. Disaster Movie cost the same as Epic movie and it was equally bad, hard to say which is worse really. However this time around, the film lost money ( although DVD sales probably had it break even ).

The big reason this film seems to take the cake for parody films as of late, is because of the cheapened quality and literally zero effort.

What made the 90s parodies like Naked Gun So Good was the execution of the actors. All you have in this is raised eye brows and fake screaming. It's a web series shot in HQ......that's it.

But I'm done trying to justify it's place on here, this critic said it best:

" Since many of the targets (Cloverfield, Hancock, Kung Fu Panda) already have a cheeky self-consciousness, the comedy rarely seems more than a hasty patchwork of cheap-shot allusions. "

Additional Scrutiny
2% RT Rating
15 Metacritic Score
1.8 IMDB Rating
1 Star from AllRovi

94.Kazaam (1996)

Kazaam gets a lot of hate for two very good reasons. It's not funny and it looks cheaper than a television show. The many bungles in this film are not without their " so bad it's good " charm but ultimately it's a forgettable children's film. I certainly don't want my kids to ever see it.

I mean, you'd think a genie with three wishes would be a funny premise right? The trailer sure makes it seem so. But somehow, during the shooting for the film the director told to Shaq " Hey, you know how you make those funny overactions in real life on television? Triple that ".

Additional Scrutiny
4% RT Rating
24 Metacritic Score
2 Stars from AllRovi

93. Steel (1997)

So who remembers Shaq's Steel? His follow-up to the much maligned Kazaam was worse than Kazaam. It's a shame too many people forget about this tranwreck. Funny story, I actually paid to see this film in theaters. Yup, I was one of few who paid to see Shaq's Steel opening weekend. Why did I do it? Cause it reminded me of Robo-cop, that's why.

It doesn't get as much burn as Kazaam but it damn well should. You see, although Steel could be clssified an action-comedy, it fails stupendously at delivering in either category.

It's basically a story about some poor [inappropriate/removed] who decided to build himself an Iron-Man suit. That's what it is, Iron Man on Welfare.......I mean seriously. I tried sitting through it recently so I could give more in depth detail for this list but found it impossible. The one liners are so freaking bad, they're like Arnold in Collaterol Damage but worse......

Additional Scrutiny
12% RT Rating
2 Stars from AllRovi
Nominated Best Actor Razzie

92. Bio-Dome (1996)

See, I saw this movie when it came out...not in theaters though. And I have to say I had to overcome my own little guilty love for it to put it on here. I skimmed through it last night and I have to say it's a lot less funny than I remember.

Now it's not some amazing crapfest but the difference with it and most other generic 90s stoner comedies is the fact it tries to pull a Freddie Got Fingered " let's do a lot of random jokes that don't make any sense " and it does it perfectly.....Freddie Got Fingered will also be on here (SPOILER!).

I guess now you wonder how this is #92 and Jack and Jill is at #100. Well, while Adam Sandler's comedy tried to appeal to his roots in simple-minded comedy, Paulie Shore attempts to appeal to people who will both be simple-minded and on drugs. I swear this film is a lot less redeeming than Jack and Jill. Consider Stephen Baldwin, the dubbed " Idiot Baldwin " or is that Daniel??? Ah who cares right? It's the other Baldwin brother acting mentally ill...funny or sad?

The only thing that saves this movie from dropping lower is the fact it has become a cult classic where most user scores are in the 40-50% positive range. I suppose it appeals to some people...

Additional Scrutiny
5% Rotten Tomatoes
1 Metacritic Score
Won Razzie for Worst Actor (Paulie Shore)

91. Dracula 3000 (2004)

For those of you that remember when Jason X came out and how laughably bad it was. This is basically Jason X, but cheaper and doesn't even try to explain the sci fi premise.

Remember the guy who played President of the World in The Fifth Element? He's the biggest start in this film. Yeah.

I don't know what the budget was for this, the dead bodies used in the film appeared to be bought for less than $50 at a toy shop.

Not much can be found on this film as it does not appear on RT or Metacritic, no doubt due to its low distribution. However when a direct to DVD film makes some noise due to how poor it was, you have to think the critics that did see it have a good cause.

I don't list it higher because its budget must have been fairly low and most of it spent on the production, but it is incredibly bad.

Additional Scutiny
2.0 IMDB Rating

90. Highlander The Source (2007)

I don't want to waste my time writing the review for this so I'll sum it up concisely.

Boring.
Nothing happens.
The only sword fight is really freaking lame.

ONE positive, is that the original score was indeed decent. I mean, if you can somehow get the soundtrack for the film, by all means.

But skip the video.

Additional Scrutiny
3.1 IMDB Rating

89. Showgirls (1995)

To be sure, I am a huge fan of this film. I love it. But it's terrible.

I think you need a few personal character traits to be part of the cult fanhood of the film and one of them is certainly having childhood crushes on Elizabeth Berkley and Gina Gershan. If you have that, you like this film for those reasons alone.

But the other reason is I am also a fan of Staying Alive. Yes, the Stallone directing debut that once killed Travolta's career.

So I can stand the over-acting and poor execution, but it's still a terrible film.

That said, it is a bit overblown in how bad it is because you have to get a few things straight:

1. The characters are actually quite realistic. People in those professions can swear excessively and be so self centered they don't realize how stupid they are.

2. It's not really a serious film. It's not a comedy, but it's not a serious film.

Additional Scrutiny
Razzie Award for Worst Film of the Decade (90s)

88. Parting Shots (1999)

So, yeah, I'll admit I didn't see this film until I was peruzing all-time worst lists and came upon this. The premise didn't seem bad and then I saw Ben Kinsley, of Bloodrayne fame.

So after watching the whole movie, I can say without a doubt it made me laugh more than once. It really is made to be humorous in some ways, but nonetheless is a dark-action comedy. The action is quite poor and the acting is as well. It was also battered by critics so there is that.

87. 3 Ninjas: High Noon At Mega Mountain (1998)

I just can't rate a kid's movie too high on a worst films list. After all, the production is half-arsed when it comes to family pictures because let's face it, kids aren't smart enough to pick up on the crap.

Still, this film didn't succeed with its intended audience. It was universally panned and even for a kid's film the props and acting are painfully difficult to get through. The entire film can be viewed on youtube so knock yourself out. I wouldn't let my kids watch it, ever.

Do note, this was the 4th installment of the 3 Ninjas movies and by comparison you can see why this one was so terribly horrific.

Additional Scrutiny
2.4 on IMDB

86. The Avengers (1998)

Remembering when this film came out it looked good. It turned out putrid.

Keep in mind if you do choose to watch this, it cost 60 Million Dollars, in 1998. For you unfamiliar with inflation and the increase in big budget films, it was like Total Recall this year, except not as much sci fi graphics so.....where did the budget go? Sean Connery? Did you blindside production?

Additional Scrutiny
Coutless Razzie Nominations

85. Dungeons & Dragons (2000)

What is it with Bruce Payne? Dungeons and Dragons and Highlander Endgame in the same year? And if you think playing a bad villain in a horrid over-budgeted film was a 2000 fluke, you be wrong.

For years, the 45 Million disaster was highly publized for losing all that money on a sure thing...supposedly. But it has not been until the last few years that we come to realize how fantastically crap this film was in actuality. Even as a kid movie.

Anybody remember Neverending Story III? Of course you don't and don't waste time looking it up, it was horrible. But it didn't cost 45 freaking million dollars!

What's funny is I can't really pinpoint what parts of the film drive it down, it's all bad.

No wait, I'll try. Anyone remember Mortal Kombat television series? Well this film is like a long episode of that show, but the acting and action is worse and at the end you are told it cost 45 freaking million dollar.

84. Dreamcatcher (2003)

This is on here for one reason and one reason only. BIG FAT LETDOWN.

It had everybody involved to make it a masterpiece. And it blew, it blew hard.

Then pile on the box office failure and critical panning and whalla. A big fat letdown. That is all.

No, there is one more thing, painstaking boredome.

83. Freddy Got Fingered (2001)

This film, like Biodome, gets only one reprieve. It is certifiably funny when you are in a stupor. And don't kid yourself, not everything is funny when you're out of it. Not in the least. This film has a Robot Chicken-esque quality to it. Yet it's still a poor film by every review written.

Like Showgirls, it has its cult fans which has pushed its rating netwide higher than it deserves.

82. Death To Smoochy (2002)

Once again, I saw this in theaters when it came out because....Robin Williams, Ed Norton and I still have the hots for Miss Keener.

I still maintain it's a misunderstood film rather than outright bad. But I can only ignore the critical panning for so long. At #82 I am no doubt doing this film a favor. It has a decent 42% on RT which is a testament to the film's fans, like myself, but it is one of the worst box office bombs in history considering it got a wide release and nobody aside from me and a few others paid to see it.

81. Silent Trigger (1996)

Believe me, not the last Dolph Lundgren film on the list.

The name is a dead giveaway, as the film is quite silent. Deadly silent if you prefer. Nothing happens. No, seriously. There is literally 2 minutes of footage where anything noteworthy happens. No, seriously. Back in the day before youtube had a clip of everything, I had no clue of the quality of the film:

Wish I Had Seen This.

It was showing on tv one day and I was excited. Seriously, made some snacks and everything. Twenty minutes onwards I had to convince myself they were propping up the big scene. Oh, I got the "big scene".

This film is crap across the board. The 5.1 IMDB rating is an illusion. Like most of Dolph's films, not enough people who matter ever see them to knock them down to where they should be.

The 9 Million dollar budget? Apparently real, judging all other Lundgren movies, the Dolph commands a multi-million dollar salary for every film. And this is 1996 money we're talking about! The film made no money.

Additional Scrutiny
2/5 at AllRovi

*Honorable Mention*

I originally ranked Street Fighter, the Jean Claude version at #81 before finding out it actually made money at the box office.

But it's got to be one of the worst films not to fail miserably. The horrible miscast doesn't begin to scratch the surface of how badly this film failed on such a great idea. Keep in mind it was filmed for 35 Million in 1993. Even if JVC took home a third of that budget it doesn't excuse the feel of a bad television show in terms of quality and one of the worst barage of cheeseball lines to ever hit planet earth.

Last edited by x0x on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total
x0x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent Space
x0x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent Space
shawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never watched jack and Jill...but I saw the trailer. which I think is enough evidence for me to say this.

Jack and Jill should be way higher on this list...come on man, you are better then that.

sig made by mike23md
x0x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
I never watched jack and Jill...but I saw the trailer. which I think is enough evidence for me to say this.

Jack and Jill should be way higher on this list...come on man, you are better then that.

Prepare yourself.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack and Jill should be way higher. I'm looking forward to seeing what other movies are above it.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping an eye on this.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to see this.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Victor Cruz Pun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this made using the IMDB's 250 worst films list Razz Just kidding, I've thoroughly enjoyed most of Sandlers movies but didn't even laugh once during Jack and Jill so I strongly agree with it, can't wait to see how this list shakes out.

thelawoffices wrote:
Please. mission and I were butt buddies well before they ever even joined this website.
samgurl775

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be disappointed if The Last Aribender isn't high on this list. That movie butchered one of the greatest shows ever.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
I will be disappointed if The Last Aribender isn't high on this list. That movie butchered one of the greatest shows ever.

I watched it because of all the hype people on here were giving it... and I really don't see what you guys see in this show Laughing

^^ryknowssd^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
samgurl775

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
I watched it because of all the hype people on here were giving it... and I really don't see what you guys see in this show Laughing
Did you watch the whole series or just the first season? Because for what it's worth, season 2 is by far the best.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Did you watch the whole series or just the first season? Because for what it's worth, season 2 is by far the best.

I watched the movie.

^^ryknowssd^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
samgurl775

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
I watched the movie.
Ohh well that explains it Laughing For as much as I preach about how much better the book version of a Game of Thrones is better than the show, the difference between the two is nothing compared to show Avatar vs movie Avatar. If you enjoy a good story, I'd give the TV show a chance.

Troy Brown wrote:
x0x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:

Unfortunately for you, it just made it into the "Hit" pile with it's 319 Million gross.

The RT score of 6% and the Metacritic of 20 certainly agrees with your distaste of it.

I'm finishing the write-ups for #99-91, will be up in an hour probably.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: