Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 ups, 5 downs vs Bears
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: 5 ups, 5 downs vs Bears Reply with quote

Ups

1. Kirk Cousins- looked like he really knew what he was doing. Had command of the huddle, threw strikes and was much better than last week

2. Alfred Morris- again, not spectacular but a solid rb

3. Aldrick Robinson- he has to make the team. He ran solid routes and made tough catches

4. Brandon Banks- proved again how special he can be

5. Niles Paul/Logan Paulsen- both looked like they should make the team. TE is one tough cut. Both made good blocks, ran good routes and made good catches. I really don't want to lose either for our future. IMO time to start shopping Cooley and Davis to see what we might get in a trade.

5 downs

1. Robert Griffin's pocket presence wasn't quite as good this week. It seemed he held onto the ball too long a few times

2. The entire first team OL struggled vs one of the best DL's in the nfl. Not too surprising but if we are going to be .500 or better they have to play better

3. Injuries to Orakpo and Meriweather are a concern. Even though not serious, it still sets us back. Reminiscent of last years nagging injuries in camp with a few major and we never got on track

4. Cedric Griffin. Maybe he can be a safety... He sure didn't like like a starting cb vs their wrs. At this point I want us to put Crawford as #3 he'a looked like a find. we are still young and developing- might as well, can't hurt

5. Our run D leaked like a sieve near the goal line. Cofield got pushed out of the way, Riley's ankles got broke, Alexander was slow to fill the hole. Our second unit though played much better vs the run but also struggled in pass D against Jason Campbell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred Morris 27 yards on two runs and minus 1 on the other 7 .. hmmmm...
The guy you left out of the ups -- Briscoe .. He's a NFL wideout for sure. Like him .
big44dog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) completely agree Cousins was impressive.

2) Morris pounding his way into a short yardage goal line role. Can definitely soften defenses up for Helu and co.

3) Robinson looked a step faster than everyone on field, need to see it vs. 1s

4) they have to find room for BB on the 53

5) ah, a disagreement. Dumping Davis for Paul would be just plain silly. Guy dropped 4 of his first 5 passes this preseason. Can't have that at TE with a rookie QB. Cooley can go because we need Paulsens blocking.

1) Griffin felt a little more heat this week, not a bad thing, he'll adjust.

2) OL needs to get healthy but even at peak health they still need time.

3) yep

4) Griffin can get cut today I won't have a problem with it. The bears knew he sucks from his Minn days that's why he was picked on. Crawfords proved he can fill the void.

5) I think by week 1 Baker mans the nose in goal line. Remember there was no Fletcher so IMO that's not nearly as big a concern as the secondary
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that DHall needs to go back on the outside. I just don't trust anyone else to play opposite Josh Wilson. Cedric Griffin on Brandon Marshall should never be allowed. Dhall played Marshall well I thought.

mike23md on the sig!
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random, but I was actually pleasantly surprised with how fast Madieu Williams looked. Secondary looked like garbage but I thought Williams held his own.

mike23md on the sig!
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
The guy you left out of the ups -- Briscoe .. He's a NFL wideout for sure. Like him .
I like him but I like Robinson more as a wr and I think we need Banks returns ability. Briscoe looked good on a few plays at the end of the game the way Billy McMullen did 3 or 4 years ago.

My question is does he play special teams??

A #4, 5 and 6 wr needs to be a special teams ace. We aren't keeping a guy around just to be a bench warmer because we know he isn't going to be a top 4 wr who sees the field on offense at the moment. Maybe we keep 7 wrs again but I'd guard against that given our injuries in other spots like OL, dl, lb and safety
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Random, but I was actually pleasantly surprised with how fast Madieu Williams looked. Secondary looked like garbage but I thought Williams held his own.
I like what I saw out of Madieu Williams also and then liked what I saw from Tanard Jackson when he came in for Meriweather. They need more playing time together but I like the group, they just need more work together. With Meriweather, and Jackson's talent and MWilliams' intelligence we have a decent group. They just have to stay healthy and keep working out together to get the communication down.

Our bigges problem was Cedric Griffin followed closely by DeAngelo Hall.

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks can make the roster as long as Aldrick Robinson. With Briscoe and Armstrong candidates to make the roster, along with four others who are assured, I still do not know how that allows Banks a spot. Yes, the touchdown showed his speed, but with the quality of blocking on that particular play, couldn't Robinson or Crawford get around the edge?

I still maintain the same view: Banks cannot be counted on because of his size, and therefore durability. I'd rather a Rock Cartwirght type of situation where a versatile player adds to their repertoire and provides consistency, whether it be a RB, TE, WR or CB.

Banks makes the squad if he has another touchdown, but we are talking about a roster spot on a team that could use some versatility, and to me Banks gives you special teams only. But, I've made this argument before and he's probably still going to make the roster.

From the game:

Montgomery and Cook were manhandled; disappointed in the 'starting line' as a whole.
Cousins showed niced zip on his passes and guts in the pocket.
Kehl looked better than Jackson (a bit concerning considering Rak's injury).
TE competition has ramped up - deciding vote goes to Niles Paul because of quickness (don't forget who the QB is)
Thompson is porky, meanwhile Crawford is making this roster.

Blknite01's masterpiece
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
Banks can make the roster as long as Aldrick Robinson. With Briscoe and Armstrong candidates to make the roster, along with four others who are assured, I still do not know how that allows Banks a spot. Yes, the touchdown showed his speed, but with the quality of blocking on that particular play, couldn't Robinson or Crawford get around the edge?

I still maintain the same view: Banks cannot be counted on because of his size, and therefore durability. I'd rather a Rock Cartwirght type of situation where a versatile player adds to their repertoire and provides consistency, whether it be a RB, TE, WR or CB.

Banks makes the squad if he has another touchdown, but we are talking about a roster spot on a team that could use some versatility, and to me Banks gives you special teams only. But, I've made this argument before and he's probably still going to make the roster.

From the game:

Montgomery and Cook were manhandled; disappointed in the 'starting line' as a whole.
Cousins showed niced zip on his passes and guts in the pocket.
Kehl looked better than Jackson (a bit concerning considering Rak's injury).
TE competition has ramped up - deciding vote goes to Niles Paul because of quickness (don't forget who the QB is)
Thompson is porky, meanwhile Crawford is making this roster.
So in other words your biased against Banks like Brian23 is.

You think Banks has to score multiple touchdowns on returns (which a lot of things have to go right for that to happen) but with the rest of the wrs they just have to make a few catches and they're on.

No one can answer this question for me (maybe they don't care or don't understand that a 4th, 5th 6th wr needs to be a special teams ace) but does Briscoe play special teams?

Crawford did nothing as a return man last week, so far he has a 17 yd return and that's it. Banks has several 30 yd returns, and a 91 yd punt return for a score.
big44dog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
I like him but I like Robinson more as a wr and I think we need Banks returns ability. Briscoe looked good on a few plays at the end of the game the way Billy McMullen did 3 or 4 years ago.

Difference with McMullen/Anthony Mix and Briscoe is Briscoe played well when he was active in Tampa. Also, even though he's a DB coach I'm sure Raheem Morris is in his corner. To me, if Banks keeps it up in returns It seems like Anthony Armstrong is the odd man out, and keeping 7 has to at least be discussed.

To Footy, wouldn't you rather a guy other teams worry about than a Cartwright type? Forcing punts to the sideline and squib kicks improving field position? Think about how many of Banks' returns were called back by penalty.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Difference with McMullen/Anthony Mix and Briscoe is Briscoe played well when he was active in Tampa. Also, even though he's a DB coach I'm sure Raheem Morris is in his corner. To me, if Banks keeps it up in returns It seems like Anthony Armstrong is the odd man out, and keeping 7 has to at least be discussed.

To Footy, wouldn't you rather a guy other teams worry about than a Cartwright type? Forcing punts to the sideline and squib kicks improving field position? Think about how many of Banks' returns were called back by penalty.
I think Danny Smith has more pull than Raheem Morris with offensive/special teams players.

I agree Armstrong is the odd man out but I'm not sure Briscoe makes it unless we keep 7. Briscoe has got to play special teams, we know Garçon, Hank and Moss aren't going to be on special teams. Briscoe has got to do it just like Stallworth did last year.

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcus21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to keep Banks who do you drop? Do you carry less O linemen, or less LBs?

I realize I have kicked this horse a few times, but booting Grossman would solve a huge problem! Grossman out...Banks in?

I got the Wrs as of now:
Garcon
Hankerson
Moss
Morgan
Robinson
Biscoe

I would like to see us keep 6 because Moss is old and gets banged up and Morgan Is still iffy in mind if he can stay healthy.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
In order to keep Banks who do you drop? Do you carry less O linemen, or less LBs?

I realize I have kicked this horse a few times, but booting Grossman would solve a huge problem! Grossman out...Banks in?

I got the Wrs as of now:
Garcon
Hankerson
Moss
Morgan
Robinson
Biscoe

I would like to see us keep 6 because Moss is old and gets banged up and Morgan Is still iffy in mind if he can stay healthy.
If cutting Grossman were an option they would of let him play last week. You don't cut a man after not letting him compete. The fact that he sat the 2nd game tells me that he's guarenteed a roster spot.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:

I got the Wrs as of now:
Garcon
Hankerson
Moss
Morgan
Robinson
Biscoe

Umm it's Briscoe! Dude is behind on the playbook and makes 2 plays vs DBs who aren't going to be in the league and people think he serves a shot?

I'm sorry but tired of it. I don't care if he's Morris' party buddy from Tampa or not, I don't think he makes the roster over our most dangerous weapon.

With Neild being on IR now, it's not an issue.

Qb: Griffin, Grossman, Cousins
Rb: Royster, Helu, Hightower
FB: Young
(7)
TE: Davis, Cooley, Paul, Paulsen
Lt: Williams, Smith
Lg: kory l, hurt
C: Montgomery, LeRibeus
Rg: Chester, Gettis
Rt: Polumbus, Lee
(14)
Wr: Garçon, Moss, Hankerson, Morgan, Robinsom, Banks
(6)

De: Bowen, Carriker, Jenkins, Golston
Nt: Cofield, Baker
(6)
Olb: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, Wilson
Ilb: Fletcher, Riley, Alexander, Robinson
(Cool
Cb: Hall, Wilson, Crawford, Barnes, Thompson
SS: Meriweather, Gomes or Doughty depending on gomes ankle
Fs: Mwilliams, Tjackson
(9)
K: Rackers
P: Rocca
Ls: Sundberg
(3)

(53) boom! That's your team baby! Super Bowl champs Laughing
Dancing

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give you something irks me -- dang long snapper -- why in the world can't a REAL O line guy do that -- I know it's very specialized .. I wonder if any team nowadays has a two way guy -- A real O-line guy that plays AND long snaps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: