Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LM, Vonteze, Bruce or Stupar, Goodsen, Bergstorm
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much wrong in this thread.

The Raiders had a 3rd round compensatory pick. Expecting Bergstrom to come in and beat out a savvy vet is misguided. It's wishful thinking finding day 1 starters that deep in the 3rd round and beyond. Carlisle may not be great, but he's a sold presence. Has a year left while Bergstrom comes into his own.

Satele was a liability in the ZBS, so get that idea out of you head.

Lastly, let's wait and see where some of these players land in regular season games. Talking about Chapman, Massaquoi, Miller, etc. All late round rookies have a long way to go in development to decide who was a steal and who wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
So much wrong in this thread.

The Raiders had a 3rd round compensatory pick. Expecting Bergstrom to come in and beat out a savvy vet is misguided. It's wishful thinking finding day 1 starters that deep in the 3rd round and beyond. Carlisle may not be great, but he's a sold presence. Has a year left while Bergstrom comes into his own.

Satele was a liability in the ZBS, so get that idea out of you head.

Lastly, let's wait and see where some of these players land in regular season games. Talking about Chapman, Massaquoi, Miller, etc. All late round rookies have a long way to go in development to decide who was a steal and who wasn't.

+1

Guys like Shaughnessy turned out to be steals in the 3rd round but were actually listed in a similar range to Bergstrom was

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking over some recent past drafts and we seem to for some reason find some pretty good players in the 3rd and 4th rounds :

Jared Veldheer / Jacoby Ford in 2010
Matt Shaughnessy / Louis Murphy in 2009
Tyvon Branch in 2008
Jonnie Lee Higgins / Michael Bush in 2007
Kirk Morrison in 2005
Justin Fargas in 2003

Whilst most are not game breakers, they were certainly starters and decent role players which is decent return for 3rd and 4th round picks IMO.

Too early to tell on DVD, Chekwa, Barksdale, Jones aswell as Bergstrom and Burris but odds are 3 or 4 of them could contribute. Burris, Jones and Bergstrom are my favourites to get significant playing time over the next couple of seasons so while i was dissapointed to have passed up on Chapman and Ta'amu in the draft, i've got some confidence that Burris and Berstrom in particular could make a splash.

Burfict to me looks like an accident waiting to happen on and off the field..........
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LM, Vonteze, Bruce or Stupar, Goodsen, Bergstorm Reply with quote

silver_surfer wrote:
At that point in the 7th round roll the dice Reggie, Vonteze would be been brilliant. First round talent there in the 7th , sure it would of been a gamble but its a late round pick they all are.. Bruce Campbell wasnt the best but I would of gave him one more year to play back up guard and maybe it would click. If not I would upgrade in 2013 via mid round pick or FA. Lamar Miller also had a 1st round grade, young fast good size and was great in Miami.

First round hype available in the 7th until proven otherwise IMO. In hindsight if we were to draft again we would have taken Rod Streater somewhere i'm sure!
silver_surfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well he is playing good for the Bengals
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silver_surfer wrote:
well he is playing good for the Bengals

He's not playing on the first team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: