Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Weeden is the real deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger murdock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Weeden was pretty terrible today.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:

Hahaha terrible?

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

roger murdock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

Hahaha terrible?

Two horrible interceptions, lots of missed throws. No true gem passes with the exception of the bomb to Gordon. Most of his yards came on cross routes and short throws. There were several plays where the Raiders were obviously sending the house and he looked shocked when the blitz came. I'd give his game a C- or D+. Classic case of the stats making the performance look better than it was. Oaklands defense is horrible and I expected much more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:

He kinda got it together a little bit eventually, but I don't really see how you can call this a good outing for him either.

Also dude needs to learns how to pump fake and not be so animated in his throws so he won't be batted 5 times a game. It's not bad luck, it's not bad blocking, it's a fixable problem by him. How Shurmur is not on him for that and never stepping up to avoid sacks kinda ticks me off. He lost like 10 yards on a sack today and when he rolls out and has pressure in his face he just starts backpedaling so awkwardly.
Ether

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Weeden has regressed since the bye week personally.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

He kinda got it together a little bit eventually, but I don't really see how you can call this a good outing for him either.

Also dude needs to learns how to pump fake and not be so animated in his throws so he won't be batted 5 times a game. It's not bad luck, it's not bad blocking, it's a fixable problem by him. How Shurmur is not on him for that and never stepping up to avoid sacks kinda ticks me off. He lost like 10 yards on a sack today and when he rolls out and has pressure in his face he just starts backpedaling so awkwardly.

A positive I thought I had seen the last couple weeks from Weeden was reading the blocking and stepping up, or shifting left/right within the pocket prior to setting up and delivering the ball.

Also what I've noticed, I don't like all of the shotgun plays, seems to telegraph that it's a pass and the defense isn't kept honest. I know he is more comfortable with the shotgun, most are, but I think we need to save that for obvious passing downs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a game earlier today where a receiver actually went over a defensive back and caught the ball around him. Great catch, but evidently Weeden has to hit his man on target everytime for you guys to appreciate anything he does. No way should Gordon have not made any effort to either catch the underthrown ball, but to not even attemtp to defend against an interception. The QB does not do this stuff alone and a bunch of rookies have not really done him any favors.

Gordon actually continued to run away from that ball even after he knew it was going to be short. That's horrible WR play.

Vince Lombardi
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:
I gotta say, I'm with the realists here - and I do NOT get the Weeden hate. Yes, he's 29 ...yes, he's a 1st year player ...no, he isn't putting up the blessed RG3 numbers ...BUT he has more good games than bad, more good series than bad and there's a REASON he played today instead of Colt. He's better. Period.

I read some of these posts, EZ and BruceB, etc ...good guys and all but regarding Weeden it makes me wonder, did he stuff you guys into lockers in HS or something? Honestly ... the anger displayed is a bit odd.

He needs to set his feet and cut down on the picks and high throws - Master of the obvious assessment right there. Point is, he'll continue to develop.

Frankly, I'm not getting all the TR love ... he's having a solid rookie campaign but certainly nothing earth-shattering, and his insistent, chronic, habitual bunny-hopping at the LOS is just tiresome. He lacks a top gear once past the scrum, and for all the ubber power he possesses he got one-armed for a loss on a sweep today - something that was a given for those of us who remember Eric Metcalf, but certainly unexpected of a 5-9, 230 fireplug. Yet - its all good with him in the forum, BEASTTTTT is the cheer any time he gets 4 + yards. Listen I like the kid, he's got a lot of positives, but the bias for him one way is about as silly as it is for Weeden the other way.

Obviously, I want both to do well, to improve, to make our offense better. I have little doubt that both will. But in the meantime, ease up on the Weeden vitriol ~ it's just not good for you.

Post of the damned century.

Weeden is a rookie QB who, at times, plays like a rookie QB. When the hell did this become a novel concept?? Some folks here seem to be unwilling to acknowledge that fact because their arse is still aching because we drafted him. Or he's not 22. Or both.

Why does his age matter exactly?? He's plenty young enough to play a year or two and then be brushed aside when the new regime comes in and 'fixes things for the last time'. I mean, that's pretty much how things work right, if we're being honest? When, exactly, was the last time a QB got a real shot at succeeding (ie playing in the same system under a GM who can actually evaluate talent for 3-4 years)?

But, of course, TRich is a 'beast' with a 3.6 ypa. He looks more like a 30 year old Jamal Lewis than MJD or Ray Rice or whomever everyone wanted to compare him to prior to the draft. Does that mean I'm not sold on TRich? No, not hardly. It means he's a rookie who's still learning the league.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some more pragmatic posts

Vince Lombardi
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

A positive I thought I had seen the last couple weeks from Weeden was reading the blocking and stepping up, or shifting left/right within the pocket prior to setting up and delivering the ball.

Also what I've noticed, I don't like all of the shotgun plays, seems to telegraph that it's a pass and the defense isn't kept honest. I know he is more comfortable with the shotgun, most are, but I think we need to save that for obvious passing downs.

Yes, and I really liked how Weeden stepped up in the pocket several times to avoid sacks, including a couple runs.

And, in case you wanted to know, we used shotgun on 12 plays (the raiders used it on like 35 plays). Weeden was 9/11 for 76 yards out of shotgun, he also ran once for 7 yards out of shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

He's just so unathletic he's limited in that regard. He's miles better than where he was the beginning of the season. Still, I wish he'd stop setting himself up to get swatted and stop overthrowing open guys.
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

He's just so unathletic he's limited in that regard. He's miles better than where he was the beginning of the season. Still, I wish he'd stop setting himself up to get swatted and stop overthrowing open guys.

I've noticed that almost all of those batted passes come on 3 step drops, it seems to simply be a matter of the defensive guy counting his steps, then jumping. I think that some of it is unavoidable, but it also could be limited more with pump fakes.

Of course, that can mess up the timing of throws as well. If you ask me, sometimes our linemen can do a better job of engaging the defensive player to avoid it and sometimes Weeden could pick a better lane to throw in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't look good today and his red zone efficiency is bad. That being said, it's not like we have any other options. The Raiders defense is bad, he didn't do much against the D, we only scored 20 points.

I don't like any of our options to replace him over the offseason, so I think he should continue getting the opportunity to improve, but anyone claiming he looked good today is just trying to be positive and not actually looking at his performance with the same critical eye they give to future NFL prospects and other QB's around the league.

I've got him as the 4th worst starting QB in pro football now, anyone think he's better than that?
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after 12 games, Weeden has 41 passes of 20 yards or more.

RG3-35
Luck-55
Tannehill-30

And just for the heck of it..Colt McCoy has 49, in his career 21 starts.

Brady Quinn has 23 in his career (19 games, 15 starts)

Derek Anderson has 123 (53 in 2007) in his career (54 games, 43 starts)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
He didn't look good today and his red zone efficiency is bad. That being said, it's not like we have any other options. The Raiders defense is bad, he didn't do much against the D, we only scored 20 points.

I don't like any of our options to replace him over the offseason, so I think he should continue getting the opportunity to improve, but anyone claiming he looked good today is just trying to be positive and not actually looking at his performance with the same critical eye they give to future NFL prospects and other QB's around the league.

I've got him as the 4th worst starting QB in pro football now, anyone think he's better than that?

You've got him? or you looked more summary stats and that's where he was ranked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 42 of 46

Jump to: