Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Weeden is the real deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickZambo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man its lucky we won today. If McCoy was in there we woulda won by 4!

JK

Weeden managed the game but this game was all about defense and Trent. Good team effort, and for all those people that judge by W/Ls then Weeden was spectacular!

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@NateUlrichABJ

In first 4 games, #Browns QB Brandon Weeden had 3 TD passes, 7 INTs & 60.4 passer rating. In past 4 games, 6 TDs, 3 INTs & 83.9 rating.

That is one large jump in production.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/65945/how-weeden-stacks-up-with-other-rookies

Quote:
He is second among all rookies this season in passing yards (1,912), passing touchdowns (nine) and completions of 20 or more yards (27).

Weeden's progression through the season proves the Browns made the right decision in starting him right away over Colt McCoy. In eight games this season, Weeden already has more 300-yard passing games (two) than McCoy (one) and is five touchdown passes away from matching McCoy's total from last season. Plus, unlike McCoy, Weeden can stretch the field with long passes to Josh Gordon.

Interesting article about Weeden and how he stacks up with other rookie QBs as well as the AFC North. Again, nothing too crazy but we are seeing improvement.

cattleman78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden's numbers
Passer rating 67.9 2nd lowest
Completion rate 55.1% 2nd lowest
Yards per pass 6.21 30th out of 33
31st in third down passing
2nd last in red zone efficiency

I still believe in him but man that is pretty bad quarterbacking. Sure there have been drops but there was drops last year also. He seems very hot and cold.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
NickZambo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Weeden's numbers

I still believe in him but man that is pretty bad quarterbacking. Sure there have been drops but there was drops last year also. He seems very hot and cold.

No doubt he had a bad game last week against the Ravens. He missed some wide open throws, but coming away with 5 FGs from the red zone trips isnt all on him, coaching & playcalling was atrocious as well. Weeden took a step back for sure, but I expect him to bounce back at Dallas in two weeks after much prep time. Still believing in Weeden tho

cattleman78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
Weeden's numbers

No doubt he had a bad game last week against the Ravens. He missed some wide open throws, but coming away with 5 FGs from the red zone trips isnt all on him, coaching & playcalling was atrocious as well. Weeden took a step back for sure, but I expect him to bounce back at Dallas in two weeks after much prep time. Still believing in Weeden tho

When your q.b. is 31st in third down passing we should probably run more on those 3rd and ones.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
NickZambo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
Weeden's numbers

When your q.b. is 31st in third down passing we should probably run more on those 3rd and ones.

It all depends on the context of the game. Maybe he wouldn't be 31st on 3rd downs if we weren't always facing 3rd and long after stellar play calls on 1st & 2nd...

Entropy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
Weeden's numbers

It all depends on the context of the game. Maybe he wouldn't be 31st on 3rd downs if we weren't always facing 3rd and long after stellar play calls on 1st & 2nd...

Let's say "3rd and long" is having a 3rd down of 7 or more yards.
In the Ravens game, we had about 18 3rd downs, 7 of which were for 7 or more yards.

Of those 7 "3rd and longs" we had:

- a completion for 2 yards on 3rd and 9
- a 26 yard pass on 3rd and 8
- a 4 yard pass on 3rd and 8
- a sack on 3rd and 10
- an incomplete pass on 3rd and 7
- an incomplete pass on 3rd and 11
- and a run for no gain on 3rd and 11

That's 1 for 7 on "3rd and long". The other 11 3rd down plays were converted 5 times, including one PI penalty.

Here are the 3rd and manageable results:

- an incomplete pass on 3rd and 1
- a 6 yard pass on 3rd and 4
- an 11 yard pass on 3rd and 1
- an INT on 3rd and 3
- a 3 yard run on 3rd and 2
- a 6 yard QB scramble on 3rd and 4
- drew defensive PI on 3rd and 6
- TD nullified by penalty on 3rd and 6
- a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 4
- and an INT on 3rd and 5

Now I think we will all agree that plays are not called to get INTs, throw incomplete passes, and have TDs nullified by dumb penalties.

I think we will also all agree that converting only 5 of 16 3rd downs is not great. But the Ravens won converting only 5 of 14.

The play calling was good enough to get 17 first downs, outgain the opponent, move us into the red zone 5 times and have 9 "3rd and 5 or less" chances.

Can we please pull the needle off of the "bad play calling" broken record?

It is poor execution, rookie mistakes, lack of concentration, and lack of experience that prevents our team from winning more games. That's actually good news guys. You see, that means that we just need to play more together to get better.

For many years we were losing because we didn't have the talent to win games, now we have a lot of talent, but little experience.

Weeden needs to improve...a lot, but it is likely he will. He has the talent to do well in the NFL. But his reads need to improve, his awareness needs to improve.

If that happens this year, we can beat anyone. We have plenty of talent on defense, we have some very good talent on the offensive line and at the skill positions.

The biggest problem I see with this team, as I have said several times already, is experience. We don't seem to know how to overcome adversity just yet. If you watched the Steelers play the Giants, you saw that failed fake FG play...but they overcame it and won. Experienced teams can do that. Inexperienced team can play more tentatively.

Another thing...even the greatest coach can't make up for the level of inexperience we have, good coaches just accommodate it, try to give their deserving inexperienced players more game time, different game situations, different experiences, all the while trying to win the game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
Weeden's numbers

In the Ravens game, we had about 18 3rd downs, 7 of which were for 7 or more yards.

- a sack on 3rd and 10

That's 1 for 7 on "3rd and long". The other 11 3rd down plays were converted 5 times, including one PI penalty.

- an INT on 3rd and 3

Now I think we will all agree that plays are not called to get INTs, throw incomplete passes, and have TDs nullified by dumb penalties.

I think we will also all agree that converting only 5 of 16 3rd downs is not great. But the Ravens won converting only 5 of 14.

The play calling was good enough to get 17 first downs, outgain the opponent, move us into the red zone 5 times and have 9 "3rd and 5 or less" chances.

It is poor execution, rookie mistakes, lack of concentration, and lack of experience that prevents our team from winning more games. That's actually good news guys. You see, that means that we just need to play more together to get better.

For many years we were losing because we didn't have the talent to win games, now we have a lot of talent, but little experience.

Weeden needs to improve...a lot, but it is likely he will. He has the talent to do well in the NFL. But his reads need to improve, his awareness needs to improve.

If that happens this year, we can beat anyone. We have plenty of talent on defense, we have some very good talent on the offensive line and at the skill positions.

The biggest problem I see with this team, as I have said several times already, is experience. We don't seem to know how to overcome adversity just yet. If you watched the Steelers play the Giants, you saw that failed fake FG play...but they overcame it and won. Experienced teams can do that. Inexperienced team can play more tentatively.

Another thing...even the greatest coach can't make up for the level of inexperience we have, good coaches just accommodate it, try to give their deserving inexperienced players more game time, different game situations, different experiences, all the while trying to win the game.

Pretty safe to say our head coach is inexperienced as well.

wukusimw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks to not have a top QB yet! Weeden definitely did not play as well against the Ravens as he has. He had his moments, but overall he was slow on his reads and not gutsy.

On a 3rd and 9 in the red zone he dumped it off to Alex Smith when he had a chance to gun it to Little near the cones on the right but was probably scared of Reed.

Pass late in the game to Little was thrown to the sidelines at 2 yards instead of four, brining up that fourth and two. If he anticipates that pass he can get it to where it needs to be without being picked, or he had Watson on a hook route for a first.

Pass to Momass in the red zone almost picked off by Reed was way late.

Another pass almost picked by Reed over the middle going for Cameron in the seam when Gordon was wide open right in front of his face for a first and Alex Smith running down the right for a possible TD.

Interception on throw away could have been a dump off to Richardson for a first on third down.

All this being said he still put us in position to win and did score a touchdown late in the game that was called back. However, he definitely did not look comfortable like he has against other teams. Something about the Ravens coverages irks him, but he always burns that cover zero.

Against any team though he has to anticipate better and on 3rd downs take the first and not the bombs.

I think having MoMass out there instead of Cooper actually hurt his game. With Cooper you can tell he is comfortable as he knows and anticipates where he is going to be. Not the same comfort level with MoMass and it cost us. Doesn't help that Mo doesn't attack the ball at all.

There are many games to be had, lets just hope he is able to figure out the Ravens next year a little better and that he keeps growing.
Entropy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
Entropy wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
Weeden's numbers

- a sack on 3rd and 10

- an INT on 3rd and 3

Pretty safe to say our head coach is inexperienced as well.

Yessir. And I also believe that he needs to improve as well. Of course, that will be hard to do if he is fired after the season. Well, at least hard to do with the Browns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:

- a sack on 3rd and 10

- an INT on 3rd and 3

This is your best post ever. Great stuff.
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Entropy wrote:

- a sack on 3rd and 10

- an INT on 3rd and 3

This is your best post ever. Great stuff.

Thanks bro!

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all opposed to giving Weeden time to develop. In fact, I really don't want to see the organization give up on the guy. However, at this rate, if there isn't some serious improvement down the stretch in terms of wins and passing numbers, I see a new quarterback coming to town, yet again. New ownership, new GM, new coach, high draft pick? You'd better believe that if those guys aren't sold on Weeden, they'll do anything their power to get either Smith or Barkley if they have the opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
I'm not at all opposed to giving Weeden time to develop. In fact, I really don't want to see the organization give up on the guy. However, at this rate, if there isn't some serious improvement down the stretch in terms of wins and passing numbers, I see a new quarterback coming to town, yet again. New ownership, new GM, new coach, high draft pick? You'd better believe that if those guys aren't sold on Weeden, they'll do anything their power to get either Smith or Barkley if they have the opportunity.

I agree with all this, both the sentiment and the prediction.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 30 of 46

Jump to: