Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric Steinbach retires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Eric Steinbach retires Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/22/eric-steinbach-calls-it-a-career/

So much for Steinbech being the answer at Guard.

We are screwed on the right side of the line.
phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eric Steinbach retires Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/22/eric-steinbach-calls-it-a-career/

It definately is going to be ugly until Martin gets up to speed.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Eric Steinbach retires Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

While I got absolutely skewered on these boards on draft day for saying this, I think Martin lacks strength and his feet aren't as good as advertised. He seems to lunge at players as opposed to setting a solid base with his feet. Hicks is also playing poorly.

Strength and footwork are things that can be improved. I do like that Martin has worked in a similar ZBS, or at least that's what I had read when we drafted him. So, hopefully that will help him mature faster.
phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eric Steinbach retires Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

While I got absolutely skewered on these boards on draft day for saying this, I think Martin lacks strength and his feet aren't as good as advertised. He seems to lunge at players as opposed to setting a solid base with his feet. Hicks is also playing poorly.

Strength and footwork are things that can be improved. I do like that Martin has worked in a similar ZBS, or at least that's what I had read when we drafted him. So, hopefully that will help him mature faster.

Probably by the same folks that think Jake Long is infallible.

Clearly Martin has weaknesses but he's who we got so we'll have to make do this season. I surely hope he gets used to the speed and power of who he'll face on a weekly basis. He and Hicks are getting trashed in pre-season.
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest thing that I want to see out of Martin is improvement. I can accept his weakness & mistakes at this point since he is a rookie. Columbo had no excuses last year. Also, John Jerry better get his fat [inappropriate/removed] on a diet cause he can't count on someone's retirement saving him again.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
SUG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin Dave wrote:
Biggest thing that I want to see out of Martin is improvement. I can accept his weakness & mistakes at this point since he is a rookie. Columbo had no excuses last year. Also, John Jerry better get his fat [inappropriate/removed] on a diet cause he can't count on someone's retirement saving him again.

Yeah ... no opening day Prime Ribs Mad Smile

sug
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just another example that in the NFL, when your body starts to go, it just go's. I'm sure Eric thought that he would recover and return to form.

I think that Garrard will be next. I love the guy, but his body clearly isnt holding up anymore.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Eric Steinbach retires Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
While I know you are correct on this point Merc, in the last 4 seasons we haven't seen a single OL prospect get "coached up" into a solid starter. Jake Long was a #1 overall pick and his dominance carried over. Pouncey was the 16th overall pick and appears to already have all the skills to excel. And Incognito came to us due to anger management problems on previous teams, not because he couldn't play.

I hope our new coaching staff has what it takes to bring out the best in Martin, but it's far from a sure thing.
Manic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after watching some of the vids on the miami site, John Jerry is gonna be starting on friday so hopefully we see some improvement on that Oline since i believe the starts will play around 3 quarters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
Well after watching some of the vids on the miami site, John Jerry is gonna be starting on friday so hopefully we see some improvement on that Oline since i believe the starts will play around 3 quarters.

He played well last game. His issue is that he is overweight and can't move with quickness. If he can continue to lose weight than he and Martin should progressively get better throughout the season. Hicks nor Steinbeck were long term answers whereas Jerry might be.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Jerry needs to get down to about 320. When he does he'll be a solid player in this league. He has surprisingly good feet for being so huge, unfortunately he is just to big.

I think Martin will be fine, but he is doing everything opposite from what he is used to. Think about it: He has to do everything with the opposite hand/foot then he is used to do doing. I think he'll get it because he is talented, smart, and appears to want it. It just might take a month or two.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought all along Jerry was specifically scouted as a "Man'/Power Running - road grader type OL.

I don't remember reading anything about being a mobile or having great ft wk etc etc ...

And furthermore I am disgusted that he showed up to camp in disappointing phys condition.
It's not like he was even penciled in as a starter last yr.
You would think with a new regime he would show some respect - courtesy & professionalism.

Does he even want to be here ...??? Confused

sug
Manic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love that they are on him so much, cus it is a shame for someone who has all the physical tools to just waste them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand why we never finished the O-Line project. You build from the trenches out. With a new QB, we must address this in the draft before WR.

Will we ever address the Guard position?

Larry Little #66

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: