Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots cut Jonathan Fanene
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjay24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastes almost $5M in cap space according to the jetscap page. I believe teams can still transfer extra cap space to next year so that's a significant hit IMO. Money that could have gone to a Welker or Hernandez extension Evil or Very Mad
Rec: 100 (3rd in NFL)
Yds: 1,172 (9th in NFL)
TDs: 4
Stickin' it in Bill's face one game at a time.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Seriously the worst news of the offseason.

Fanene's the only proven interior rushing presence on the roster. Now its either Pryor gets healthy or we'll have no inside rush. Ugh.

I do bet Deaderick and Marcus Fortson likes this news. Gives them a shot to stick.

Fanene has never been an interior rusher. All of his sacks have come at DE in a 4-3.

Deaderick and Forston are awful in that role (and in general) and Pryor seems to not be able to get healthy. It's Kyle Love's job in base and maybe they'll move some of the edge players inside in sub packages

I don't know why you've been so obsessed as pinning him as a DE. The Patriots planned to use him as an interior rusher. They used him like that, and as evidence by how we've been playing this preseason, schematically it's pretty obvious he wouldn't be a DE.

That being said, it must have been pretty bad to just cut him instead of IR'ing him.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:

I don't know why you've been so obsessed as pinning him as a DE.

Because he's a DE and virtually all of his success in the NFL has been at DE. Notice what I said, though I know reading comprehension seems to elude you when you respond to me:

Quote:
Fanene has never been an interior rusher. All of his sacks have come at DE in a 4-3.

This is a factual statement. It's not me saying "Fanene was never going to line up inside in New England". It's not me saying "Fanene couldn't potentially be used as Mike Wright/Jarvis Green in a sub package interior rusher".

It is, however, me pointing out that expecting Fanene to succeed as an interior rusher was based on absolutely nothing except what, a week (?) or pre-season drills early in camp? There is absolutely nothing to suggest that he would have been an effective interior rusher for the Patriots. Almost all of his experience as a pro has come at DE in a 40 front. Calling him an interior rusher is less accurate than calling Devin McCourty a safety or Danny Woodhead a WR.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's a mediocre DT with some upside that the Pats could trade for and what would make sense to give up?

Early guesses for pats:
Rob Ninkovich
Pat Chung
Marcus Cannon
Ryan Mallett
Brian Hoyer
One of the runningbacks
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
Who's a mediocre DT with some upside that the Pats could trade for and what would make sense to give up?

The Pats have Ron Brace and Kyle Love as "mediocre DT with some upside". If he's healthy, Gerard Warren seems an adequate #4. Not sure they're going to find anyone better unless they are willing to part with premium picks - and why would they?

It wouldn't surprise me if they pick up a castoff in the next 2 weeks but I'd expect it to be a guy of the quality of Gerard Warren last year and not a guy who is going to make an impact.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:

Early guesses for pats:
Rob Ninkovich
Pat Chung
Marcus Cannon
Ryan Mallett
Brian Hoyer
One of the runningbacks

Why on earth would the Pats trade any of those guys for a rotational or backup DT? Ninkovich, Chung and the RB's (presumably you mean Vereen and Ridley) are integral parts of the team. Cannon is the only even remotely NFL ready backup OT (and that's saying something given how bad he's been). Hoyer you could trade, but given Mallett's poor showing, they probably need to hold on to him. Mallett has more value to the Pats than anyone else probably.

They might be able to swing Danny Woodhead or Brandon Deaderick for some team's equivalent of (last summer's Patriots version of) Landon Cohen, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the team is accusing Fanene + agent of not disclosing his medical condition. They're trying to go after the money.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Grachuus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
Apparently the team is accusing Fanene + agent of not disclosing his medical condition. They're trying to go after the money.

Was wondering how not whether. So it's good to see. I'd imagine most players should/would feel bad about accepting money that they didn't earn.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:
I'd imagine most players should/would feel bad about accepting money that they didn't earn.

I would have to disagree with you there. Most PEOPLE feel bad about giving back money. I am sure the patriots and Fanene are going to have a very litigious dispute over that money.
Grachuus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
I'd imagine most players should/would feel bad about accepting money that they didn't earn.

I would have to disagree with you there. Most PEOPLE feel bad about giving back money. I am sure the patriots and Fanene are going to have a very litigious dispute over that money.

Maybe I'm in the minority but if I say I'm going to do something and someone pays me for it I do it. If I can't I give the money back. That's called being a man.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: