Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason, Week 3: VIKINGS (1-1) vs Chargers (2-0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJC71 wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
DJC71 wrote:
The coaches and fans who support Ponder over Webb are on the wrong side of Vikings history. Give Webb the same opportunities Ponder has had and we'll have a starting QB. Give Webb 16 games to prove himself. No? Okay. Still waiting and hoping Ponder can prove his critics wrong. Not happy about it and not holding my breath.

JMHO

You did see the first two games, right? You know, the games where he made Tim Tebow look like a polished passer? People are far toi quick to latch on to the positive and disregard the negatives, even when the latter outweigh the former.
I don't believe the latter outweighs the former in Webb or Ponder's case. They're both a bit raw. Give Webb the same opportunities Ponder has had and watch him go. Kinda wish Pete Carrol was our coach right now.

Pete Carrol? Why so Webb would be traded for a draft pick? They have their very own Joe Webb in Josh Portis who is lucky to get on the field.

I don't believe a single quarterback they had last year will be on the roster this season.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions have swayed rapidly going from weeks 1 to 2, and 2 to 3.

It's gone from "Player looks really bad tonight. Where is the progression?", to "This player should be cut/traded/switch positions", to "Wow, this player played great. I can see him starting by week x".

you see where this is going? We are putting too much emphasis on the preseason. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: The Preseason is like a dirty mirror: It gives you some of the picture, you get an idea of whats going on, but we don't know everything we need to know. There are still plenty of questions left unanswered.

So with that in mind, lets be patient, and not jump to conclusions.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on what I saw of the game:

The defense looked good, albeit against a back-up team, and Harrison Smith looks like he can be an NFL starting safety no problem. There will be rookie hiccups, but he's looked better then the Vikings norm back there.

Brinkley finally played a solid game.

Ponder took a step back, and the whole offense looked out of sync, but Ponder did have a few nice passes in there and wasn't a complete trainwreck.

Webb actually looked half way decent from what I saw, which is an improvement from the previous two games, where I would have argued with how he was playing Rosenfels should have been #2 over him.

Special teams shouldn't be a ton of concern when kicking or punting.

Finally: This is going to be a fairly long season for Vikings fans, there are going to be lots of ups and downs, we've even seen that this preseason, the offense with Ponder looked great week two of the preseason, and fairly poor this past week with hints of good. That's probably what this season is going to be like, Ponder will light up some teams with an efficient game, and other games he'll look so-so at best and we'll need Peterson to step up or the defense. But that is expected for any young QB, and I think we'll see Ponder progress more than regress this season.

french t0ast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the game, how did Kalil perform? Did he give up any sacks?

And Twitter combusts in a ball of flaming radioactive dark matter creating a infinite black hole.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

french t0ast wrote:
I missed the game, how did Kalil perform? Did he give up any sacks?

He was solid. Except for one play where he got abused by a speed rusher on a sack. It was a one on one situation and Kalil barely got his mits on the guy.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In everyone's overreaction about how terrible they thought we played this week, they are forgetting one thing: We also played without two key players (Simpson, Carlson) with another playing only a couple series (Gerhart). That's not even including Peterson, who is likely to play week 1.

To expect the offense to run smoothly without them is ludicrous, and forecasting the season based on that game is even more so.

We will be fine.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
In everyone's overreaction about how terrible they thought we played this week, they are forgetting one thing: We also played without two key players (Simpson, Carlson) with another playing only a couple series (Gerhart). That's not even including Peterson, who is likely to play week 1.

To expect the offense to run smoothly without them is ludicrous, and forecasting the season based on that game is even more so.

We will be fine.

The flip side of that argument is that the Chargers sat out a lot of their starters too.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think when backups play backups, no one looks good.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: