You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason, Week 3: VIKINGS (1-1) vs Chargers (2-0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard on Letroy . . . it'd be nice to see him back. Just hope he doesn't re-injure himself. In his place, we all know what Evans brings, so I hope the Vikes play Guyton, Powell or Baker a lot. See how they gel.

As for Brinkley -- he needs to play this game -- play a lot and play well. He's not a back-up for this team -- either he cuts it or he gets cut.

Moving Henderson to the middle would be a bad move. You don't want to play musical chairs with your LBs because it affects everyone else's play around that particular guy and how he plays the position. If the Vikes need a different MLB, then McKinzie or Cole need to be that guy. For the team's and Brinkley's sake, I hope Jasper shows he deserves that starting role.

Barring injury, the defensive backfield of Winfield, Robinson, Smith and Raymond should prove to be a good unit. The fact Cook will be back and the talent of the depth behind this guys is far better than the past couple years, I like it . . . long overdue, but I like it.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
Haven't heard on Letroy . . . it'd be nice to see him back. Just hope he doesn't re-injure himself. In his place, we all know what Evans brings, so I hope the Vikes play Guyton, Powell or Baker a lot. See how they gel.

As for Brinkley -- he needs to play this game -- play a lot and play well. He's not a back-up for this team -- either he cuts it or he gets cut.

Moving Henderson to the middle would be a bad move. You don't want to play musical chairs with your LBs because it affects everyone else's play around that particular guy and how he plays the position. If the Vikes need a different MLB, then McKinzie or Cole need to be that guy. For the team's and Brinkley's sake, I hope Jasper shows he deserves that starting role.

Barring injury, the defensive backfield of Winfield, Robinson, Smith and Raymond should prove to be a good unit. The fact Cook will be back and the talent of the depth behind this guys is far better than the past couple years, I like it . . . long overdue, but I like it.

Moving Henderson to MLB wouldnt be a dramatic change. He already plays MLB in nickel sets. Basically, it will come down to who the staff feels can be a better 3rd LB, Jasper Brinkley or Marvin Mitchell (or Audie Cole). I would prefer Henderson and Mitchell simply because it puts better athletes on the field.

I am really interested in seeing how the DTs look. I have a feeling that MN will be looking at the waiver wire intently for a DT. I dont trust the depth and Im still on the fence with Guion holding up at NT and as a full time starter.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
ArcticNorseman wrote:

Moving Henderson to MLB wouldnt be a dramatic change. He already plays MLB in nickel sets. Basically, it will come down to who the staff feels can be a better 3rd LB, Jasper Brinkley or Marvin Mitchell (or Audie Cole). I would prefer Henderson and Mitchell simply because it puts better athletes on the field.

I am really interested in seeing how the DTs look. I have a feeling that MN will be looking at the waiver wire intently for a DT. I dont trust the depth and Im still on the fence with Guion holding up at NT and as a full time starter.

I want to see Powell get in the game sooner. With Guion re-aggravating his PCL it would make sense to limit Evans' reps. Powell has been getting doubled and had a great spin move and pressure that led to Cole's first interception.

I want to see him against at least the opponents second stringers.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Powell as well, I actually think he will make the roster. I havent been impressed with Christian Ballard and Fred Evans is very underwhelming, after spending years here and never taking that next step.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I like Powell as well, I actually think he will make the roster. I haven't been impressed with Christian Ballard and Fred Evans is very underwhelming, after spending years here and never taking that next step.

I agree. I use to love our depth but that depth hasn't really matured into quality starters in my opinion.

I am still holding out hope that Guion can offer a different element at NT. Instead of being a big road block, he will give us more penetration up inside. Which will help with QB pressure but that puts more pressure on our MLB and opens up another can of worms.

What I am tired of is watching Spielman drafting these (at best 3-4 RDE's or worse 4-3 LDE's) undersized lineman and trying to convert them into being 4-3 UT's.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the NT/DT at the starting quality level is dropping off on this team. The only starting quality level DT is Kevin Williams (and he is dropping off as well and unknown how long he will be on the roster). Without 2 talented DT/UT/NT the defense at the point of attack is lacking, especially in a 4-3.

Guion and Ballard are quality backups (in reality).
Evans is best suited for a backups backup
Powell is a hopeful.

The DT position should be our #1 need in the draft if we have a successful average season (example slightly below mid-pack which is reasonable)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I agree that the NT/DT at the starting quality level is dropping off on this team. The only starting quality level DT is Kevin Williams (and he is dropping off as well and unknown how long he will be on the roster). Without 2 talented DT/UT/NT the defense at the point of attack is lacking, especially in a 4-3.

Guion and Ballard are quality backups (in reality).
Evans is best suited for a backups backup
Powell is a hopeful.

The DT position should be our #1 need in the draft if we have a successful average season (example slightly below mid-pack which is reasonable)

I wouldnt call Ballard quality depth at this point. I do agree that Guion is an ideal backup type at this point, and he would be quality depth. Evans is just a guy, but I do see Powell as having some potential in the sense of a contributing backup type. DT is as big of a need as any come April, especially if Kevin Williams leaves.
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

The one positive that came out of the Mike Tice Era is that the Vikings went out and drafted Kevin Williams and EJ Henderson in 2003, then they signed Pat Williams as a Free Agent in 2005. That solidified the middle of the defence right through the 2010 season.

I can't foresee a scenario where DT will not be at the top of the Vikings' list of needs in the next off season.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek

Last edited by milanb on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering:

Has anyone put Trevor Guyton on the 53 projection?

I think the backend of the DB depth should be let go in favor of him, if he shows progress.

Last edited by CriminalMind on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

The one positive that came out the Mike Tice Era is that the Vikings went out and drafted Kevin Williams and EJ Henderson in 2003, then they signed Pat Williams as a Free Agent in 2005. That solidified the middle of the defence right through the 2010 season.

I can't foresee a scenario where DT will not be at the top of the Vikings' list of needs in the next off season.

Even a stop gap player like Aubrayo Franklin or Pat Sims wouldnt have been a bad idea for depth purposes this year. The staff felt comfortable with starting Guion, which is fine, he has shown enough to at least be given a shot as a starter. However, the Vikes never replaced Guion's backup spot and that could be a concern, especially if injuries persist.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Just wondering:

I think the backend of the DB depth should be let go in favor of him, if he shows progress.

He is just to small to be a DT and we have plenty of depth at the DE positions.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornerback Chris Cook (concussion) still is not cleared to practice. Frazier said he hoped Cook could practice Wednesday but that he probably would miss the third preseason game. That means more snaps for Robinson and Chris Carr. Frazier didn't say who would start.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/166987996.html?refer=y

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Just wondering:

Perfect candidate for the practice squad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letroy Guion isn't really "undersized" - he dropped weight from 330+ to 305-310 this year, and if you read what Jared Allen and Kevin Williams said about him, they want him on the line. That tells me about all I need to know about whether or not he can be a quality starter at DT. Granted, he'll typically face RGs and Centers in double-team match-ups, which is his main role. The way you force them to double-team is by a quick first step (ala John Randle or Warren Sapp) or by pure mass and strength (ala Ted Washington or Pat Williams).

IF Letroy's knee heals and holds . . . If, that works, he'll be fine as the starter. Behind him, I don't know enough about the rookies to form a valid opinion; however, I do know Fred Evans isn't the guy.

Apparently Carr will get the Start at CB this week. Hope he does well, and if not enter one blazing fast rookie.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have confidence in Guion, however if he sucks Star Lotulelei would look real good in purple. Razz

I'd still like us to pick up a DT in round 2 or 3 to eventually replace Kevin. My friend is a big Purdue fan and he was telling me Kawann Short would be a great fit for us.

Carr has done nothing but suck and he gets the start over Robinson? Hopefully this isn't permanent.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: