Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Wallace To Sign Tender After Team Returns From Buffalo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobikus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that he's reporting this weekend. Would have loved to see him report earlier this week and get worked into the offense for the third preseason game though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait is the tweet actually accurate?

So far that seems to be the only thing that says he's intown.

All I'm reading is he "could" report this weekend, not even that he will
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a tweet from a reporter, its 2012. Its where 99% of sports news originates. He was comfortable that he has two credible sources to report it.

Perhaps a stone tablet would be more credible?

...you have a forum resume?
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Its a tweet from a reporter, its 2012. Its where 99% of sports news originates. He was comfortable that he has two credible sources to report it.

Yeah sure Wink. It just seems most tweets involving news aren't 100% accurate and barely anything is edited anymore
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Yeah sure Wink. It just seems most tweets involving news aren't 100% accurate and barely anything is edited anymore

Yeah...hard to take Tweets seriously until they get confirmed elsewhere...especially from a guy that doesnt have any real rep.

Not saying it isnt true, but as turtle stated...you have to take everything you see there with a grain of salt.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelerspower... Do you ever post news articles where you actually don't just copy and paste then post a link? Guess you have no comment on the topic?

Anywho - I'm willing to bet they're giving him some more guaranteed money. I can't see us being able to afford more money up front, so it's likely some more money guaranteed.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess who's back, back, back. Back, again. Mike Wallace is back, back back. Tell a friend!
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Yeah...hard to take Tweets seriously until they get confirmed elsewhere...especially from a guy that doesnt have any real rep.

Not saying it isnt true, but as turtle stated...you have to take everything you see there with a grain of salt.

He stated he has two reliable sources. Thats what any reporter would need to go with a story. Credibility is important to a reporter. True he doesn't have an editor screening him but its the same concept learned in Journ 100. Twitter is the new AP Newswire at least in the Sports world and is significant in other areas of reporting.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

He stated he has two reliable sources. Thats what any reporter would need to go with a story. Credibility is important to a reporter. True he doesn't have an editor screening him but its the same concept learned in Journ 100. Twitter is the new AP Newswire at least in the Sports world and is significant in other areas of reporting.

Okay...and there have been false reports release on Twitter from people claiming they had "credible sources" as well.

Credibility doesnt seem to be atop everyones list.

And in the end, it isnt even about this guy in particular. Its more about the fact that Twitter....especially when it comes to lesser known reporters/analysts....has been used to spread alot of false info in the past.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Okay...and there have been false reports release on Twitter from people claiming they had "credible sources" as well.

And in the end, it isnt even about this guy in particular. Its more about the fact that Twitter....especially when it comes to lesser known reporters/analysts....has been used to spread alot of false info in the past.

It would be very difficult to say whether the info is exactly right, if he comes back tomorrow or next Monday does it lose credibility? and Im not necessarily defending the writer. I think we are generalizing Twitter here. When in reality most reputable NFL reporters, sportswriters etc now use it as their main source to release breaking news. Instant credit for them rather than being listed as an "AP Writer" etc. On the other hand, yes there are some people looking for fame and checking their credentials is recommended. A writers/reporters credibility is all he has, so long as it is a reputable form of media and he acknowledges more than one credible source, the story is likely to have some merit. If it was some blog that said he had one person say something that is definitely much less credible.

Im not arguing with you 43, just making the point that Twitter used in a journalism sense is actually where you should expect to find the majority of breaking news in the Sports world, that is a reality. I understand what you are saying. Perhaps I just didnt like how it was worded or phrased. It's not like it was Ocho Cinco spreading a rumor. Honestly the first assignment for you when you take a Journalism class is to open a Twitter account if you don't have one.

SteelersFan2333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays Wednesday- why wait until Sunday to report if youre going to? You made your point, you won't play in Buffalo even if you report today, why wait?? A few extra days to learn, shows your team you really want to be with them and get something worked out, I gotta tell you I am not really happy how Wallace played/is playing his cards this offseason, he certainly has shown it is more about HIM than anything else- hope he doesn't turn into Santonio after he gets a new contract. I would really like him back and on the team, but don't care for how he is going about it. Maybe he should watch AB for how to behave like a Steeler, I really think he hasn't done anything to improve his contract woes, if I was the Steelers i wouldn't budge from the last offer.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelersFan2333 wrote:
Todays Wednesday- why wait until Sunday to report if youre going to? You made your point, you won't play in Buffalo even if you report today, why wait?? A few extra days to learn, shows your team you really want to be with them and get something worked out, I gotta tell you I am not really happy how Wallace played/is playing his cards this offseason, he certainly has shown it is more about HIM than anything else- hope he doesn't turn into Santonio after he gets a new contract. I would really like him back and on the team, but don't care for how he is going about it. Maybe he should watch AB for how to behave like a Steeler, I really think he hasn't done anything to improve his contract woes, if I was the Steelers i wouldn't budge from the last offer.
Isn't there a new rule in the CBA about they can't play right away or practice or something after signing their contract? Maybe that has something to do with it
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
SteelersFan2333 wrote:
Isn't there a new rule in the CBA about they can't play right away or practice or something after signing their contract? Maybe that has something to do with it

Yep, its a 3 day transition.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

It would be very difficult to say whether the info is exactly right, if he comes back tomorrow or next Monday does it lose credibility? and Im not necessarily defending the writer. I think we are generalizing Twitter here. When in reality most reputable NFL reporters, sportswriters etc now use it as their main source to release breaking news. Instant credit for them rather than being listed as an "AP Writer" etc. On the other hand, yes there are some people looking for fame and checking their credentials is recommended. A writers/reporters credibility is all he has, so long as it is a reputable form of media and he acknowledges more than one credible source, the story is likely to have some merit. If it was some blog that said he had one person say something that is definitely much less credible.

Im not arguing with you 43, just making the point that Twitter used in a journalism sense is actually where you should expect to find the majority of breaking news in the Sports world, that is a reality. I understand what you are saying. Perhaps I just didnt like how it was worded or phrased. It's not like it was Ocho Cinco spreading a rumor. Honestly the first assignment for you when you take a Journalism class is to open a Twitter account if you don't have one.

I dont disagree with most of that.

My main point is is that since Twitter is such an immediate stream of media and absolutely anyone can pass along info, you have to take it with a grain of salt moreso than you would say...a newspaper. Not that Twitter cant provide quick and correct news, but its provided alot of false news as well, especially in regards to sports.

And when its a guy youve never really of, you have to be especially curious as to the legitimacy, (I know some people heard of the guy, but I never have), even when they claim they have "sources".
xjayex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sources say: ask again later.

Damn you magic 8 ball!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: