Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Please remind me again....why did we need to change to a 4-3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Please remind me again....why did we need to change to a 4-3 Reply with quote

Maybe I got it all wrong but I think a coaching staff should be the ones to adapt to the talent that a team has. On offense it was clear da tuna had picked a game plan that was too outdated to keep. We had no choice but to change.

Our defense was acceptable though. Heck it was above average by all accounts. If we had added a push rusher opposite Wake, a safety, and a good nickel back we might even have been elite.

So why did we need to change it all? Right now we look downright terrible. I'm thinking it would help a lot if we practiced more running plays cuz our guys sure don't know their 4-3 running assigments.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake Burnette and Dansby didn't play. Can't make an accurate assessment of the defense based on a game that those guys didn't play. They are very pivotal starters.

Even watching the game, the problems that did arise came from problems with the linebacker play. Letting the running backs turn the corner and not covering TEs and FBs in the passing game.

I'm not worried about our defense. No need to.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
MiaDolphan13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of what dolphinologist said...other issues are growing pains adapting to a new system and assignments...im not worried either about the defense.

-Courtesy of bpastermack talking about John Beck.
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much too early to worry about our defense. Besides, can you tell me the difference between a 4-3 with Wake as a DE...............and a 3-4 with Wake as OLB with his hand in the dirt never dropping back into coverage? Still 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers and 4 in the secondary. The guys are still meshing, but we certainly need better play from whichever linebackers are on the field. Hopefully getting Burnett and Dansby back out there will help.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are really not making a radical change going from a 3-4 base to a 4-3 base. In 2011 we were in our base 3-4 only 12% of defensive plays. Nickel, dime, 4-3 and hybrid packages accounted for 88%.

It is expected that the defense will maintain about the same percentage in the base 4-3(12%) for 2012. For the Fins defensive purposes its more about being able to provide pressure on the opposing quarterbacks in early down situations.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 4, Tackles 6 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 4 : Death 17 Joe 14
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can not be stated any more clear then the starting linebackers of trusnick,guyton and misi were down right awful last fri i mean awful especially trusnick and guyton. its still the preseason and getting those starters back will help. I actually think starks,odrick and wake are better suited for a 43 so time will tell. To be honest besides a free safety the biggest need and move for this defense to be dominate is to find a very good middle linebacker and put danswby to the outside that would improve 2 spots Im not worried at this point we will be top half of league..
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about the defense, several guys were missing and I doubt we played all of our playbook. At worst the defense will still be in the top half of the league. At best, I can see top 5. I'm expecting top 10 like we have been the past three seasons.

Also, Misi has been a nice surprise these past two games. I think blitzing him was the mistake these past years.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not by that crap about Dansby, Burnett and Wake not playing. None of them are that stout against the run and Carolina ran the ball. The facts are when you play a penetrating style defense, you create running lanes. Miami played that old style 3-4 where they played the run first but rarerly got pressure on the QB if Wake did not supply it.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried about our defense. It is the preseason where the defense doesn't show many packages that they have.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOP FIVE DEFENSE BABY!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
Not worried about our defense. It is the preseason where the defense doesn't show many packages that they have.

Theres truth there. Defense is all about scheme and we've been all vanilla for preseason.

FF Member #67
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but.. really.. IMO.. although I love the guy.. Odrick at 6'5" 305 isn't the prototype 4-3 DE
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
I do not by that crap about Dansby, Burnett and Wake not playing. None of them are that stout against the run and Carolina ran the ball. The facts are when you play a penetrating style defense, you create running lanes. Miami played that old style 3-4 where they played the run first but rarerly got pressure on the QB if Wake did not supply it.

You're telling me Dansby is a cover LB then? LOL, who is this guy?! Last two posts I seen from this guy has been literally insulting to his own team.

Yup, our 3 best starters on DEF would not make an impact on our play. Logic at its best!!!!
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about Burnett, Dansby, and Misi is that they can all to some extent rush the passer. I'm excited to see our real blitz schemes come season time.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No your right odrick is not the ideal 43 end but to clarify for you i believe he is the ideal 43 DT and think thats where he plays the most while wake and vernon rush fro the outside. Odrick can rush from the inside and defend the run. thats where i was going with that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: