Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Tannehill named starter.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patdt13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Ryan Tannehill named starter. Reply with quote

‏@ArmandoSalguero
Ryan Tannehill is Miami's starting quarterback joe Philbin announces.

@MiamiDolphins
Philbin has announced that Ryan Tannehill has been named the starting quarterback

@AdamHBeasley
Philbin names Tannehill starting quarterback.

#TeamMeowgatron
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprises.

With Garrard down it totally made sense. Its gonna be tough for Miami Brass/Philbin to pull him if he sucks. It would have been much better for him, in my opinion, to let Garrard go for a few weeks and then turn to Tannehill, but oh well. I think Tannehill gives us the best chance to win, and lets just hope he doesn't get killed by missed blocks from Hicks and Martin. Those guys look really bad to me so far.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts going through my mind:

1. I think this is for the best. Generally I feel the benefits outweigh the risks for starting rookies in the NFL.

2. Poor Matt Moore. He had a good season last year and to be named to the 2nd string this early must be devastating.

3. Having said that, Ryan Tannehill has clearly outplayed Moore in training camp and pre-season. His starting position was earned.

4. I hope our OL pass blocking significantly improves.

5. The Tannehill era officially starts now... Only time will tell if he is the successor to Marino that the Dolphins have been looking for so long...

Nacho Simulation Football League
MiaDolphan13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had the thought that once you named a rookie the starter you have to ride him out even if he sucks until you finally know for sure he isnt nfl caliber so that your not messing with his mind...today I was watching espn and Bill Polian who's opinion I respect very much was speaking about the Titans situation b/c they named Locker the starter and he said even if Locker stinks at first they can put Hassleback back in and let Locker learn more.

What are your thoughts on this and do you think we have a similar situation in having Moore as our veteran.

-Courtesy of bpastermack talking about John Beck.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiaDolphan13 wrote:
I always had the thought that once you named a rookie the starter you have to ride him out even if he sucks until you finally know for sure he isnt nfl caliber so that your not messing with his mind...today I was watching espn and Bill Polian who's opinion I respect very much was speaking about the Titans situation b/c they named Locker the starter and he said even if Locker stinks at first they can put Hassleback back in and let Locker learn more.

What are your thoughts on this and do you think we have a similar situation in having Moore as our veteran.

very few times does a rookie QB that has been labeled future of the team get pulled for bad play and still be considered the future guy, im sure it happens, but they just need to role with Tannehill the next 2 seasons and see what happens

i dont remember a year that had 4 rookies as opening day starters at QB....last year we ended with several.
Judson49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lo unto us did dawn the glorious age of the Tannehill.

Lest he not be blighted by the fetid pox of the Henne.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get 'em kid.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
FOOTBALLFAN08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner we see him, the sooner he can get cut and on to the next one.

This had to be done in my opinion. The FO sees that this team is not set up for the future around the QB, so why waste away with zero experience at QB and win 6 games.

Then next year you still wouldnt know if you have a QB after Moore would win 6-7.

This way you test Tannehill and take one less year of not knowing out of the equation.

I didn't give the Dolphins any real credit in my post because I wanted to agitate FOOTBALLFAN08, in the event he was still checking this thread.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been back and forth on this as to whether it was a good idea or not, but now that it has happened I am very excited. We know that Moore is a 6-7 win guy in the right situation but we don't know if we have correctly labeled Tannehill the future at QB or not. Let's just get started on the future and see how it pans out.

Not only that, but Moore has not produced in TC or either of the two preseason games. Let's give Tannehill every opportunity to prove or disprove that he is the future of this franchise.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Dolphinmeister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2- things I like about this new coach:
1. Naming Tannehill the starter, it is not like Miami is sitting a playoff starter to do this.
2. I have not seen the first fist pump on a made field goal.
phinmun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much like this.

It satisfies my desire to see Tannehill play, Hoo-ray!

It gives the players some added excitement moving forward.

We'll be in the media conversations about Luck, RGIII, Locker, Weeden, etc.

It'll give Tannehill an appreciation for the NFL's most challenging position and a chance to get as much experience as possible before this team eventually becomes whatever it will be on down the road.

I'm excited. This is a bold move, but I like that.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the perfkect time to name Tannehill as starter.

I listed my reasons why Tannehill should be named starter in another topic. I'm liking the way Philbin handled this.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 11, Tackles 11 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 11 : Death 30 Joe 34
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOOTBALLFAN08 wrote:

This had to be done in my opinion. The FO sees that this team is not set up for the future around the QB, so why waste away with zero experience at QB and win 6 games.

Then next year you still wouldnt know if you have a QB after Moore would win 6-7.

This way you test Tannehill and take one less year of not knowing out of the equation.

I think this move is brilliant. It ensures we get the #1 pick. Even if they do not take Barkley, they can trade it for picks. I have little hope about this season and even cancelled my NFL Direct Ticket.
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
FOOTBALLFAN08 wrote:

I think this move is brilliant. It ensures we get the #1 pick. Even if they do not take Barkley, they can trade it for picks. I have little hope about this season and even cancelled my NFL Direct Ticket.

We need a worst Miami Dolphin so called "fan" on this forum, I vote this guy.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami2DaMax wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
FOOTBALLFAN08 wrote:

We need a worst Miami Dolphin so called "fan" on this forum, I vote this guy.

Lol, Ovaw has always been this way. But to be fair, truthfully so. We are less set than we have been in years yet we also have more to look forward to than we have in years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: