Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina (Senior)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina (Senior) Reply with quote

Devin Taylor is a prospect I don't see mentioned much in this forum. I want to get some opinions on how he grades out as an NFL prospect. He definitely has the physical skill set at around 6'-7", 260 lbs. and figures to have impressive offseason workouts that NFL teams like to see. With this upcoming draft potentially being very good at the 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB positions (depending on the underclassmen that end up declaring), could Taylor slide some come draft day?

Is Taylor a bit obscured by the surrounding talent (Clowney and Ingram) or possibly a product of the talent around him? Do you see him as possibly a Michael Johnson (former Georgia Tech defensive end) type of talent - a physically impressive prospect that just doesn't seem to be able to make an impact to the level expected?

2011 Statistics
Games played : 13
Solo tackles : 31
Assisted tackles : 11
Total tackles : 42
Tackles for loss : 8.5
Tackles for loss yardage : 47
Sacks : 6
Sack loss yardage : 42
Passes broken up : 2
Quarterback hurries : 6
Interceptions : 1
Interception yardage : 48
Interception return touchdowns : 1

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm in the minority here but he looked the best of any of the SC D-Linemen to me last season. That said, I don't know how he'll translate to the next level. Clowney obviously has more upside and as he develops he should be the best out of the recent SC D-Linemen, but Taylor is no slouch.

He might get lost in a tweener role in the NFL though...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have liked him for two years now.
Like the OP said, I just don't know where he fits...a while back he looked like he was heading for a Mario Williams ceiling that can play both rush end and linebacker...now he can still play both, I just don't know if he can reach that ceiling.

I think with his athleticism and ability ceiling of end of round one...but could fall to the 4th-5th due to the volume of rushers coming out.

#JDI
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
I know I'm in the minority here but he looked the best of any of the SC D-Linemen to me last season. That said, I don't know how he'll translate to the next level. Clowney obviously has more upside and as he develops he should be the best out of the recent SC D-Linemen, but Taylor is no slouch.

He might get lost in a tweener role in the NFL though...

I am wondering if Taylor could be a "surprise" first round pick (in the lower part of the first round) even if underclassmen like Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montegomery, and Jarvis Jones declare? It seems like he could be in the second-tier along with prospects like Alex Okafor, Dion Jordan and Cornelius Carradine (if he can take the next step) that could sneak into the back end of the first round.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see teams likely to be in the lower portion of the first round like the Chicago Bears, Cincinnati Bengals, New Orleans Saints, and Detroit Lions atleast considering the defensive end position (obviously depending on free agency acquisitions/losses).

Edit : The other interesting team would have to be the Atlanta Falcons. I have read they have supposedly used a "base" 4-3 with 3-4 looks so far this preseason, but it wouldn't shock me if the Falcons strongly considered a pass rusher that could play at either 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB (Okafor, Jordan, and to a lesser extent Taylor?).
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He strikes me as a second-round talent (high ceiling, but some questions), though he could fall simply due to the other talent that will likely be in the draft.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to make of Devin. He doesn't seem as active as he should be at times and tends to disappear as a pass rush. I think he's very underdeveloped in terms of using his arms, hands and pass rush moves.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I don't know what to make of Devin. He doesn't seem as active as he should be at times and tends to disappear as a pass rush. I think he's very underdeveloped in terms of using his arms, hands and pass rush moves.

I was watching some videos of him (which admittedly gives a limited perspective) and what jumped out at me (and I wanted to get some other opinions on this) is that Taylor seems to be consistently late coming out of his stance at the snap of the ball. And when he is in motion he seems rather slow in his motions, almost deliberate. Now maybe he is asked to handle more read-and-react assignments, but he just doesn't seem to be very explosive at the snap and doesn't seem to be very "violent" or quick in his motions when engaged with a blocker or moving towards the quarterback.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I was watching some videos of him (which admittedly gives a limited perspective) and what jumped out at me (and I wanted to get some other opinions on this) is that Taylor seems to be consistently late coming out of his stance at the snap of the ball. And when he is in motion he seems rather slow in his motions, almost deliberate. Now maybe he is asked to handle more read-and-react assignments, but he just doesn't seem to be very explosive at the snap and doesn't seem to be very "violent" or quick in his motions when engaged with a blocker or moving towards the quarterback.

I would agree with you. I think his best shot is bulking up and becoming a 5-tech. He understands gap responsibility well, he's a hustle player, he's smart on the field and for a big guy, he holds his ground well and does a better job of getting low than you'd expect from a huge guy. But as a pass rusher, he just doesn't look that skilled.

If you get him in a NFL S&C program and get him up to 295 or 300, I think he could be good in a 3-4 defense. Not Calais Campbell but still a solid to good all around DE.

But we'll see what he does this year. If he could show better burst off the ball and flexibility on the edge or power and violence, I'd bump him up a lot in the rankings.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Johnson + Jarvis Moss - the explosive first step= Devin Taylor

PSN: bench515lbs
johnmpasq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Taylor videos

vs Alabama/Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caMRfFsBOVY&feature=plcp

vs Nebraska/Clemson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WATmSQR3A&feature=plcp

vs Kentucky/Auburn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GF1WejUYsA&feature=plcp

vs Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeEUlRctbY4&feature=plcp
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmpasq wrote:
My Taylor videos

vs Alabama/Georgia

vs Nebraska/Clemson

vs Kentucky/Auburn

vs Georgia

You make some really good videos, keep up the good work!

R.I.P. Stylish
johnmpasq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
johnmpasq wrote:
My Taylor videos

vs Alabama/Georgia

vs Nebraska/Clemson

vs Kentucky/Auburn

vs Georgia

You make some really good videos, keep up the good work!
Thanks there are like 700 of them up on my 4 pages on Youtube
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
I have liked him for two years now.
Like the OP said, I just don't know where he fits...a while back he looked like he was heading for a Mario Williams ceiling that can play both rush end and linebacker...now he can still play both, I just don't know if he can reach that ceiling.

I think with his athleticism and ability ceiling of end of round one...but could fall to the 4th-5th due to the volume of rushers coming out.

I know alot of guys at one position will bump him down potentially, but teams always need more guys rushing the passer, cant see him falling that far due to it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to have a really inconsistent motor. The guy looks like he could be a dominant player, but just hasn't put it all together yet. Awesome project to work with though I will say. He plays the run with pretty good awareness and actually strikes me to be a smarter player than he was last season. If the draft was today, I would probably use a mid-2nd round pick on him.

My NFL Draft Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: