Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills released OLB Merriman... Should we pick up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MaddenCity


Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Location: East Coast
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Bills released OLB Merriman... Should we pick up? Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8284576/buffalo-bills-release-veteran-lb-shawne-merriman

I think we should... He says he's in great shape and we could let him battle it w/ Haralson/#44 can't think of his name, lol..

Worst case scenerio we cut him before the regular season starts anyways.

But w Aldon and Ahmad hurt I think we should seriously look at Merriman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psychlone


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 3762
Location: Marin County, CA.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bills released OLB Merriman... Should we pick up? Reply with quote

MaddenCity wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8284576/buffalo-bills-release-veteran-lb-shawne-merriman

I think we should... He says he's in great shape and we could let him battle it w/ Haralson/#44 can't think of his name, lol..

Worst case scenerio we cut him before the regular season starts anyways.

But w Aldon and Ahmad hurt I think we should seriously look at Merriman.
Reports out of TC said he was looking great. The reason given for his release is he's not suited for the Bills new 4-3 alignment. Worth looking into BUT not at the $4 mil he was slated for IMO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frisco$finest


Joined: 25 Dec 2005
Posts: 1057
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bills released OLB Merriman... Should we pick up? Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
MaddenCity wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8284576/buffalo-bills-release-veteran-lb-shawne-merriman

I think we should... He says he's in great shape and we could let him battle it w/ Haralson/#44 can't think of his name, lol..

Worst case scenerio we cut him before the regular season starts anyways.

But w Aldon and Ahmad hurt I think we should seriously look at Merriman.
Reports out of TC said he was looking great. The reason given for his release is he's not suited for the Bills new 4-3 alignment. Worth looking into BUT not at the $4 mil he was slated for IMO.


what he said
_________________
"You look up and you see us shining down on you...." - Lupe Fiasco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinerNation21


Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 1726
Location: South Central PA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is Brooks out for? I didnt know he got hurt.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9015
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good for depth.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gore Whore 21


Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 4345
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be against this move at all. Like was said, it'd have to be at the right price, but he could excel in a 3rd down pass-rushing type role.
_________________
saintsfan on the sig

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cHaInBrEaKeRiii


Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Posts: 4352
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't mind having him but he'll want a lot of money... plus were set at starters... and we can get cheap back up in bachtiari or however you spell his name..
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FG21_PW52


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 4261
Location: 831, CA.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks, tons of money for someone who will only be in on 3rd downs and he's one knee injury away from never walking again lol. No.
_________________


janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirtyJersey9er


Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 3842
Location: Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the price is right you can never have enough pass rushers.
_________________
Welcome to the 9ers Q!

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
adamq


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 7836
Location: Missouri
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what everyone else has said. He would be a great addition as another rotational pass rusher, but money is always the chief issue.. Any kind of one year contract would be ideal, especially an incentive laden one.
_________________

-kiltman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13265
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're finally at a place where veterans might sign with us for a shot at a championship. If he takes the minimum to play a back-up role, I could see it.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 9885
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do realize he's had a total of 5 sacks since 2008, correct?
_________________


Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 28th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 178
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 872
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9015
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
People do realize he's had a total of 5 sacks since 2008, correct?
yeah but Chan Gailey said he's the Merriman of old... Wink
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 9885
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
People do realize he's had a total of 5 sacks since 2008, correct?
yeah but Chan Gailey said he's the Merriman of old... Wink


How old???
_________________


Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 28th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 178
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 872
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14015
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
People do realize he's had a total of 5 sacks since 2008, correct?
yeah but Chan Gailey said he's the Merriman of old... Wink


How old???


Good one! Yeah, Merriman was the prototypical outside pass rusher ... several years ago. He hasn't shown almost anything these past 2 or 3 years. If he wants to sign for minimum plus incentives then maybe he can beat out Johnson and Bahktiari.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group