You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tannehill's Progression

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajiggel72

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Tannehill's Progression Reply with quote

After watching tape on Tannehill from preseason- re-watching the Texans game here are my observations. Thought it would be interesting to track this week-to-week and see his progression throughout the year.

Tannehill is hesitant in going through his progressions. He often looks to the 1st reciever if he is open he locks on to them, if not he quickly looks to the number 2 (if at all) or checks it down.

He is great at checking the blitz. He slides protections, and checks to hot routes when he sees the pressure. As a side note Tannehill preformed well above average when facing the blitz.

Tannehill did an excellent job of getting the ball out of his hands quickly. When there was pressure Tannehill quickly released the ball repeatedly in under two seconds.

I wont get into the batted balls, I do not think it his mechanics as much as his throwing lanes/eyes. It'll be interesting to monitor.

Tannehill had great poise and pocket presence at the beginning of the game. Several times stepping up into the pocket to avoid pressure.

Currently does not have great timing with his receivers. I do think he gets a pass on this however because the main throw he missed on was a deep ball to newly acquired Anthony Armstrong, but again worth monitoring.

I found it interesting they did not call more roll-outs and bootlegs to move the pocket for Tannehill. They only did this once on a third in goal play. I expect to see more of these if we establish the running game early vs. Oakland.

All in all the game was not as bad as the national media has made it out to be. Tannehill performed way better than Weeden and a tad better than Luck in his debut (IMO). It was not a great debut but I definitely see the potential for greatness there.

What did y'all see?
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some of my thoughts in the other Tannehill thread, I'll quote them here.

cddolphin wrote:
- Footwork, mechanics, and confidence in the pocket are all pretty good.
- One throw can be off by a fair bit, then the next will be dead accurate. Inconsistent accuracy with some gems sprinkled in.
- Doesn't seem to have much arm strength.
- Tends to stare down his receivers, that's probably the biggest reason he had so many blocked balls.

Of course, this is just what I saw in his first game.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things of note on those batted balls:

1.) Tannehill reported to the media that after watching film "4 of those 5 batted balls were #99." He made the point that if 80% of the batted balls were 1 guy, it's probably the case that pass rusher had an outstanding day.

He also pointed out that on one deflection, the rusher was completely un-blocked.

2.) Head Coach Joe Philbin pointed out that on 2 of the batted balls, the D-Line was running stunts through which he seriously doubted they were keying in on Tannehill's eyes.

I found that interesting. Clearly Tannehill and Philbin are down-playing this as a freak occurrence. Take it for what you will.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: