Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pardon the Question, but what's with all the batted balls?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Yep, the batted balls issue is significant. It was a problem through preseason as well. I suspect it was predominately due to offensive line woes and lanes not being opened properly, but I'm not certain.

What I do know is that the batted balls stopped drives and in many ways turned the tide of the game. I think Houston probably would have won anyway, but Miami would have been much more in that game if the ball hadn't been turned over off of those the tips.

I'm not really sure what it is, either, but I have a hard time believing it is the offensive line's fault. Their job isn't to clear their defender from jumping at the ball, it's to create lanes. It's Tannehill's job to find them and use them. He may also have an issue with patting the ball and eyeing down targets, with the DL thusly reading it. I find it hard to believe that this is on the OL.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Yep, the batted balls issue is significant. It was a problem through preseason as well. I suspect it was predominately due to offensive line woes and lanes not being opened properly, but I'm not certain.

What I do know is that the batted balls stopped drives and in many ways turned the tide of the game. I think Houston probably would have won anyway, but Miami would have been much more in that game if the ball hadn't been turned over off of those the tips.

I'm not really sure what it is, either, but I have a hard time believing it is the offensive line's fault. Their job isn't to clear their defender from jumping at the ball, it's to create lanes. It's Tannehill's job to find them and use them. He may also have an issue with patting the ball and eyeing down targets, with the DL thusly reading it. I find it hard to believe that this is on the OL.

I've got gamepass this year so have just been watching some of the plays on the end zone cameras. To me it looks like a bit of both.

The OL have somewhat created the opportunity for a pass to be blocked because they've given so much ground to the rusher so early. It means someone like Watt is too close when even after he disengages and takes a step back to jump.

But, ultimately Tannehill is responsible for recognising that Watt is only three yards away and responding to it (either by sliding in the pocket, rolling out or going somewhere else with the ball).

I would disagree with people who were saying that the blocks were because Tannehill was staring receivers down though, that's just the choice phrase of the Henne era. In most of the blocks you can see Tannehill scan other options before looking back and throwing.

It's easy to see when a QB is motioning to throw and since Tannehill very rarely pump faked it meant that the Texans were good at picking when to jump. (You'll also notice that often a dlineman who isn't in the path of the throw is getting his hands up and jumping for the block).

^ Jamison on the sig.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article that made a lot of sense. Chad Pennington said that Tannehill is releasing the ball from the same point every time. He says on those crossing routes he has to get up on that front foot and throw it over the DL.

Dilfer also said it wasn't so much on Tannehill as much as it was on predictable play calling.

UniversalAuthor
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
I read an article that made a lot of sense. Chad Pennington said that Tannehill is releasing the ball from the same point every time. He says on those crossing routes he has to get up on that front foot and throw it over the DL.

Dilfer also said it wasn't so much on Tannehill as much as it was on predictable play calling.

JJ Watt indicated that a large portion of his success was due to Hard Knocks. He said he was able to learn the snap count from watching the show. I see no reason to doubt him.

Beyond that, the batted balls issue has obviously been something that has followed Tannehill from college. Clearly, the coaches need to work on this issue with him.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdolfan wrote:
JCool333 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

I've got gamepass this year so have just been watching some of the plays on the end zone cameras. To me it looks like a bit of both.

The OL have somewhat created the opportunity for a pass to be blocked because they've given so much ground to the rusher so early. It means someone like Watt is too close when even after he disengages and takes a step back to jump.

But, ultimately Tannehill is responsible for recognising that Watt is only three yards away and responding to it (either by sliding in the pocket, rolling out or going somewhere else with the ball).

I would disagree with people who were saying that the blocks were because Tannehill was staring receivers down though, that's just the choice phrase of the Henne era. In most of the blocks you can see Tannehill scan other options before looking back and throwing.

It's easy to see when a QB is motioning to throw and since Tannehill very rarely pump faked it meant that the Texans were good at picking when to jump. (You'll also notice that often a dlineman who isn't in the path of the throw is getting his hands up and jumping for the block).

All good points.

Media interviews with Philbin had him dis-crediting the notion that Tannehill was staring-down his receivers.

Tannehill pointed out that 4 of the deflections were JJ Watt.

Incognito said---and I'm not sure I agree--that the D-line wasn't getting to Tannehill and therefore were resorting to simply getting their hands up.

I believe that, BUT, they were definitely also getting in to pressure Tannehill. The Texans D-line wasn't panicking and resorting to throwing their hands up, they were timing and predicting when to do it...successfully.

I'm not sure what to make of the JJ Watt Hard Knocks thing. I kind of roll my eyes on that stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: