Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pardon the Question, but what's with all the batted balls?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Pardon the Question, but what's with all the batted balls? Reply with quote

I've noticed somewhere around 5 Ryan Tannehill passes in two games that were batted down by the defense line. This could be a real frustration if its not figured out by the start of the season, but did anyone else notice that issue? Matt Moore had a few batted as well.
Judson49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not overly concerned with the batted balls at this point. Surely this is just symptomatic of it being early pre-season and defenses being ahead of the offenses, making it easier for them to make plays.

I mean, take a look at our defense for example, clearly you can see players all over making pla.........hang on......actually forget it.
Clutch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Merc.

My opinions:

Our Oline is giving up a lot of ground and pushing right into the qb's face. Ball is barely coming out before being knocked down. No separation.

It seems to be a technique more and more dlineman are using regularly.

Someone said Tanney has more of a slight sidearm delivery, but it shouldn't make that much difference. Its not like he's got a Bernie Kosar style.

The fact that it is happening to a lot of qb's, it seems to be a more common play by the D. They are just more successful at it nowawdays.

Could be totally wrong, just a thought.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those quick slant passes are just begging to be batted down if a real lane is not created.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Those quick slant passes are just begging to be batted down if a real lane is not created.

Yes, haven't seen the full games myself (so haven't seen all the snaps) but obviously what type of play it is makes a big difference. Sherman seemed to suggest it was mainly on three step drops.

Obviously if he is getting batted down on 7 step drops the QB has serious issues.

^ Jamison on the sig.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he had a few batted down almost every game in college

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a combination of his slightly side arm delivery and the fact he has been staring down his recievers all pre season. The DL is reading where he is throwing and getting their hands up.

Yes, this is very frustraiting and needs to be fixed asap .

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
Tetsuya_Ryuji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeyL. wrote:
I think its a combination of his slightly side arm delivery and the fact he has been staring down his recievers all pre season. The DL is reading where he is throwing and getting their hands up.

Yes, this is very frustraiting and needs to be fixed asap .

That pretty much sums it up, when you know where it's going it's not hard to know where to put your hands up.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear for some of you simply looking at the receiver is staring him down.

^ Jamison on the sig.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdolfan wrote:

Its when his head sits looking at the same direction from the time he takes the snap to when he hits the back of his drop to when he releases the ball...

Omar Kelly (who granted can be a giant tool, but he knows football) said himself that RT is a one read QB right now.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
ukdolfan wrote:

Its when his head sits looking at the same direction from the time he takes the snap to when he hits the back of his drop to when he releases the ball...

Omar Kelly (who granted can be a giant tool, but he knows football) said himself that RT is a one read QB right now.

They are gonna bring him along slowly when it comes to complexity. That's all part of growing into the speed of the NFL game. He isn't going to be like Cam Newton or RGIII who are so physically gifted that they can turn it into a sandlot game and look good. He is very gifted, but the reason Newton exceled so much from year one was not because he had some amazing pickup of the NFL game. It's because the guy is just a man among boys even in the NFL and has an accurate rocket for an arm to boot. Cam also had Steve Smith, 2 all pro running backs and a very good O-line. If Tannehill starts from day one, then he will have growing pains, and could have a season more like Peyton Mannings first year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the batted balls, I think it's a combination of O-line blocking problems and RT17 not stepping up enough in the pocket to create a lane.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hardknocks will be on in about 2 hours, lets see if they mention it there, but yea, he does seem to have a few knocked off at line, not to worried now game-1 ill worry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the O-Line, mainly the OG's, not getting the push up in the passing lanes on the short pass routes, causing the passes to be tipped.

Will we ever address the Guard position?

Larry Little #66
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone notice how beautifully the Atlanta Falcons opened up passing lanes for Matt Ryan yesterday? He had no rush up the middle and the ede rushers were funneled away from the interior guys.

It was really nice to see from a football standpoint because it really allowed him to see the field and confidently deliver the ball. Not really as a Dolphins fan, haha.

I have a lot more respect for Ryan Tannehill and the struggle he's facing after that. He's getting pressure off his guards and around the edge. It's a lot harder for him than say the guy in Matt Ryan's shoes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: