Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Prospect Profile : Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Prospect Profile : Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia Reply with quote

High character, high effort, dedicated player who is a team leader. Good range and ball skills in the secondary. Willing run defender. Asked to play some linebacker due to injuries while at Georgia and showed he can play around the line of scrimmage. Impact special teamer.

I see Williams as a versatile defender based on his experience playing safety and also playing closer to the line of scrimmage when needed based on personnel. His ability as a solid special teams contributor is a big plus along with the fact that by all appearances he is a dedicated, team-oriented individual. In our defensive scheme, he could project potentially at free safety/strong safety hybrid or more likely as our long term solution at the jack safety position because of his ability to cover and play the run.

Shawn Williams
Position : Strong Safety
Height : 6'-1"
Weight : 218 lbs.
Class : Senior
Born : May 13th 1991
Hometown : Damascus, GA
Project 40 yard dash : 4.54

2011 Statistics
Games played : 14
Solo tackles : 48
Assisted tackles : 24
Total tackles : 72
Tackles for loss : 5
Tackles for loss yardage : 17
Interceptions : 4
Interception return yardage : 58
Passes broken up : 5
Quarterback hurries : 2
Forced fumbles : 1
Fumble recoveries : 2
Kick/Punt blocks : 1

Shawn Williams Georgia Bulldog Bio

Quote:
Overview
While his partner in the deep patrol -- free safety Bacarri Rambo -- gets most of the headlines due to his ball skills (eight INTs in 2011), Williams is also an accomplished pass thief (four INTs last year), a more consistent open-field tackler and is highly regarded by the coaching staff for his selfless play, toughness and versatility.

Like most prospects at a program boasting as much individual talent as Georgia, Williams initially made his mark on special teams, earning recognition in this role during both his true freshman and sophomore seasons.

He saw his first starting action in 2010, earning the nod three times while playing in all 13 games and recording 34 tackles on the year. Despite entering his junior season with only these three career starts, Williams was named a team captain last season.

He showed the leadership traits coaches love when he switched from his customary strong safety position to inside linebacker when injuries took their toll on the team early last year. Starting 13 of 14 games for the Bulldogs last season, Williams led the team with 72 tackles, including five for loss. Along with the four interceptions, Williams also broke up six passes, recovered two fumbles and forced another.

Analysis
The broad-shouldered Williams looks and tackles like a linebacker but moves well, showing enough agility to handle coverage responsibilities. His coaches have compared him to former Georgia safety/outside linebacker Thomas Davis, who was selected with the No. 14 overall pick of the 2005 draft by the Carolina Panthers.

Quote:
Draft Scout Player News
08/08/12 - The dirty little secret around the team is that while fellow safety Bacarri Rambo was an All-American last year, thanks mostly to his eight interceptions, Williams was just as good. It was Williams who led the team in tackles. It was Williams who excelled in pass coverage as well as blitzing, and provided big hits." You know Rambo, we all know, is a great player. People have voted him as an AP first-team All-American. But Shawn Williams, I think he's a great football player as well," head coach Mark Richt said. "And I think Shawn's going to have a tremendous year, and I think he's going to play football for a long time. Whoever gets him (in the NFL) is just going to love that guy. I think he's a special player as well." Linebacker Jarvis Jones (Carver), himself an All-American last year, echoed that." He didn't really get a lot of credit. But he's a ball-hawk, a guy that plays with a lot of passion. He pushes me on the field." Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, with his 11 years of recent experience in the NFL, is confident that Williams will be there next year, and well after that." I think Shawn can play in the NFL. I think Shawn is a guy who is kind of like our defense, I mean that's tough, he's physical, he's got a little nastiness to him. He goes about his business. He has a lot of pride in his work and he wants to win everything." Grantham said. "He's got a bright future, not only for us but down the road too." - Seth Emerson, The Ledger-Enquirer

04/07/12 - When safety Shawn Williams decided to forgo the NFL and return for his senior season, he was excited for the potential that the 2012 Georgia defense would have and the talent and friends he would get to play beside for one last time. “I made my decision first that I was going to come back and I didn’t really know what [Bacarri] Rambo was going to do,” Williams said. “But when he told me he was coming back, I was just really excited to get another year to play with that guy. He is a great safety, one of the best and even with Sanders [Commings] and Branden [Smith], too. They’re two of the best corners I’ve ever seen.” But when he made that decision to return, he could not have anticipated the turmoil that the defense - especially the secondary - would face. With the confirmed suspension to starting cornerbacks Commings and the likely suspension of Smith - as well as the possible suspensions to free safety Bacarri Rambo and linebacker Alec Ogletree - Williams has suddenly found himself as the lone and elder statesman of the Georgia secondary. Williams, however, doesn’t see himself as “the last man standing” from a once potentially-potent secondary. “I don’t think I will [be the last man standing],” Williams said. “There’s nothing final right now. Nobody knows right now.” - Edward Kim, Red and Black

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=91040

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done much research on next year's draft yet, but this kid was already on my radar. Love how physical he plays. I question his ability in coverage because he seems to have heavy feet IMO, though. Definitely worth watching as an "in the box" type guy.

What's your take on the top corners for next year?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
I haven't done much research on next year's draft yet, but this kid was already on my radar. Love how physical he plays. I question his ability in coverage because he seems to have heavy feet IMO, though. Definitely worth watching as an "in the box" type guy.

What's your take on the top corners for next year?

Ry, being in SC and being married into a family full of Bulldog fans, I always have a good chance of digging into Georgia prospects and watching plenty of Georgia games. Williams is a guy I am going to watch closely just like I did with Justin Houston and really liked him prior to the draft. From what I have seen of Williams is that he does have solid range and good instincts when handling coverage assignments. Like most top Georgia prospects, he probably will show above average athleticism and measurables.

Those two factors make me think he could atleast potentially provide a team with some flexibility as he isn't a liability in any one area and could be a prospect that teams for teams that like their safeties to be able to essentially handle free and strong safety roles. Another prospect I think fits this mold (and grades out a bit higher overall than Williams is Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro). I am planning on doing a prospect profile on him as well.

Edit : When I look at Kendrick Lewis, I see a player that as a college prospects didn't have measurables that jump out at you but is able to put himself in the right place at the right time in coverage. I think Williams will test well all things considered and has good instincts as well.

As far as the cornerbacks - and I will say, this is a position I can see being a need next year as of right now (with an eye to fitting with the Chiefs IMO) - I would say the prospects I like are :

Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State (Junior)
Xavier Rhodes, Florida State (Junior)
Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State (Senior)
Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech (Junior)
Carrington Byndom, Texas (Junior)
Dee Milliner, Alabama (Junior)
David Amerson, North Carolina State (Junior)
Jordan Poyer, Oregon State (Senior)
Terry Hawthorne, Illinois (Senior)
Ryan Logan, Rutgers (Junior)

I would like to do prospect profiles for these cornerbacks as well.
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally know nothing about Vacarro, so I'll have to keep an eye out for your thread on him. I'm looking forward to it!

...and the reason I ask about corners is because I haven't looked into them at all. You've now given me some names to keep an eye on, so thanks for that! Much appreciated. I always enjoy your analysis, man.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you.

Now i will read the article
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on this thinking it was for a QB. Sorry, carry on. Wink

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
I clicked on this thinking it was for a QB. Sorry, carry on. Wink

We will bigs, don't worry!

Laughing
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We NEED to draft Arthur Brown to be DJ's backup, that's my only opinion on this next years draft outside of the QBs

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
We NEED to draft Arthur Brown to be DJ's backup, that's my only opinion on this next years draft outside of the QBs

You mean you guys are losing faith in Quinn and Stanzi??!!

Wink

I remember all of the talk about how Quinn never got a fair shake and how Stanzi would lead us from the dark into the light!! So as you guys are starting to scratch off the lottery ticket that is Stanzi, you guys aren't liking what you are seeing??!! Oh ye of little faith in Pioli!!!

Laughing
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

You mean you guys are losing faith in Quinn and Stanzi??!!

Wink

I remember all of the talk about how Quinn never got a fair shake and how Stanzi would lead us from the dark into the light!! So as you guys are starting to scratch off the lottery ticket that is Stanzi, you guys aren't liking what you are seeing??!! Oh ye of little faith in Pioli!!!

Laughing

hell, I still would have been happy if we had traded up to get Tanny this year.

QBs I would love to take in next years draft:

1. Tyler Wilson
2. Logan Thomas
3. Matt Barkley
4. Geno Smith

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I see Williams as having a likely draft ceiling of second round, and depending on how he does (other prospects do) this upcoming season and during offseason workouts he could end up being available in round 3 or a bit later.
UPlay2Win

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams over Rambo, say whaaaaaaat?

It is apparent that safety is still a need for this team so as long as we take somebody in the first couple of days, whether he is from Georgia or not, we will be doing the right thing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPlay2Win wrote:
Williams over Rambo, say whaaaaaaat?

It is apparent that safety is still a need for this team so as long as we take somebody in the first couple of days, whether he is from Georgia or not, we will be doing the right thing.

Who said anyone had Williams over Rambo? This is just a prospect profile on Williams. I more than likely will do one on Rambo.
UPlay2Win

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Who said anyone had Williams over Rambo? This is just a prospect profile on Williams. I more than likely will do one on Rambo.
Well then, let's hear you say it. As of right now, considering likely draft position, who would make the better Chief?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPlay2Win wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Well then, let's hear you say it. As of right now, considering likely draft position, who would make the better Chief?

All things considered, probably Williams considering we would probably have to be willing to select Rambo in round 2 and Williams more than likely be available after round 2. Plus Rambo comes with some definite baggage and by all accounts Williams is a high character team leader. Now if Rambo is around in round 3 or later he might be worth the risk.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: