Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Season Week 3: Titans vs Cards - Locker wins again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win?
Tennessee Titans
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Tennessee Titans
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll write my defensive review tonight/tomorrow, but here's my thought on the offense
(note, I saw the game in person, which allowed me to focus on individual players better but sometimes miss the whole field).

Locker looked good- but there was still a lot to work on. He definitely settled down and was more patient than against Tampa. I think our Oline had some problems against Tampa but got that figured out. Locker was definitely doing a better job of working through his reads- he took his time well. He does, however, have a tendency to fixate on one side of the field. He doesn't stare down his receivers, but he definitely lets the defense shift towards the side where his eyes are.

He's got a problem on mid crossing routes of throwing to the receiver instead of in front. 2 drops were really his fault- he threw at the receiver on a crossing pattern and the receiver had to try and catch it on the back shoulder. This problem is compounded by Locker rocketing it; if he floated it the receivers could probably catch anyways, and if he rocketed it in front of them they could catch it, but with both happening, it goes down as a drop (but it really is Lockers fault).

Locker's pocket presence really astounds me (compared to where he was coming out of college and what people say). He feels the rush while keeping his eyes downfield, moves well to avoid it, and even when he's preparing to run he keeps his eyes downfield. We saw the downside at Tampa, where he tried to force a throw instead of taking off, but this game he was very good- he only threw if he knew he had an open receiver, and he took off and ran when he didn't. He also slide, which is good. We don't want him becoming a Michael Vick.

His deep balls are beautiful, except for a small tendency to overthrow. But he's still getting in sync with the WRs, so that's ok. Most of his TC throws were centered around Wright, who is the fastest gy for us right now, so one he adapts to the speed of Wash and Cook, those should get better. Cook's incredible catch was actually a perfect throw; Cook actually slowed down because he didn't expect the ball to go so far (from playing with Hass, I'm guessing) and then had to speed back up and stretch to get it. Again, with more time for these receivers to get in sync with Locker's arm strength vs. Hass, we should see improvement.

CJ didn't play too badly- the defense was clearly focusing heavily on CJ the whole game, and trying to shut him down completely. He really never saw room to run this game. I still don't like Palmer's play calling on runs- not enough counter, and way too many plays directly against Campbell. I also don't like Palmer running so many tosses against the athletic 3-4 of the Cards (especially with Wilson and Rhodes at safety). CJ's #1 play, counters, were also conspicuously absent.

Wright looks like a good #2 right now. ANd he's a rookie. His game speed is actually quite impressive- he never seems to be moving fast but he also ends up ahead of the corners he's against. He does a lot of the small stuff well, and he cuts perfectly without losing speed.

Wash should have had a better game- Locker seems slightly late on picking up the dead spots in zones, and Wash's wily vet sense finds them before Locker picks up on it. With a little more maturation from Locker, Washington should start picking up more yardage.

Ok, that's my notes on offense. A lot of good improvement, and the passing game should keep improving as they build chemistry and familiarity. I like what we're doing in the passing game (so many different looks, spreading out, making them panic). Locker needs a few small adjustments and he should be a lot better, but he is doing great now on the basics- pocket presence, moving his eyes, amking his reads, and playing safe with the ball.
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the game:

- When Locker gets some real game experience and settles down, I expect some of these errant passes to be better. Overall I was very happy with how he looked last night.

- CJ still doesn't look good to me. Yes, the defense gets to him behind the LoS too often, but what disappoints me is that he still turns his back and waits to get hit sometimes. Also he tries to back out of the hole and find another route very often, but with hardly any success to show for it. He did have some nice blocks, though.

- Wright looks great. Washington looks great. Britt looks like a guy who's watching his job go up in smoke. Sure it would be great to have Britt on the field because he is so talented, but between his health and his stupidity he's a guy you just can't count on. The other WRs look fine to me.

- Harper finally figured out which way is straight ahead, but even so there was too much dancing IMO.

- Poor Mariani. I feel awful for him and I think that might have ended not just his season but possibly his career.

- Special teams looked great, notwithstanding Bironas hitting the upright. Not worried about him though.

- Colin McCarthy, what a freakin beast! Always seems to be near the ball, hits hard... this team needed a presence like that at LB badly.

- Starting D looked good, but my goodness I hope we don't rack up injuries this year. I could not have been much less impressed by the backups.

- Arizona has some serious problems. That OL is turrible. It hardly matters who wins the QB job behind that line.

- Larry Fitzgerald is an excellent football player and a great representative for his team. It's a damn shame he's stuck with such an inept offense. If they could just give either of those QBs 2 - 3 seconds on a regular basis, Fitz could at least keep the team respectable.
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts from last night's game:

Pros

Jake Locker made good decisions. He made his reads, and more than once went through all of his progressions and delivered the ball to his 3rd or 4th option. He tucked the ball and used his legs when the play broke down.
That pass to Kendall for the (30 yard?) gain you could see he started looking left and made his way all the way to his right, moved up in the pocket, and delivered the ball to Wright (nice catch by Kendall) for the big gain. The touchdown to Wright was beautiful. The timing, the throw, and catch were perfect. Anytime a back shoulder pass and catch for a TD is executed flawlessly is something to be excited about. The connection between the two is apparent. Excited to see this duo grow.

Chris Johnson looked good to me. I know the stats didn't show it, but I thought he was a little better with his decisiveness. He showed great burst, and embraced impact (he got lit up a few times). Didn't get alot of running room, but I thought he made some plays where he got a yard or two more than he should have. Would have liked to see a screen pass or two to him. I really hoped they would work on that with him.

Nate is great. Really becoming one of my favorite Titans. Was it just me or did he look EXTREMELY fast on that touchdown pass?

Offensive line looked very good in pass protection. Arizona came at Locker with a "prowl" like defensive formation a few times, and the o-line picked it up no problem.

Jared Cook's catch last night is one of the greatest catches I have ever seen. The ball was high and behind him yet he was somehow able to dive, turn his hips, locate the ball, and haul it in over his shoulder. Truly a remarkable catch.

The defense in general was amazing. The pressure put on Skelton/Kob was something we havent seen in a long time. The prerssure led to 3 ints, and led to (17 points?).

Kamerion Wimbley was playing like a man possessed. Granted, the competition at LT was less than spectacular, but he was absolutley relentless. The only thing I noticed that could be a negative was that he only had to use his speed to beat DJ Young off the LOS every time, but then again how can you fault him if its working?

Thought Morgan looked better. Didn't get to the QB but he was constantly in his face. On one of Wimbley's sacks, Morgan came off the edge and forced (Kolb?) to step up in the pocket where he met Wimbley head on.

Jurrell Casey was constantly getting penetration. Was having a great game until he got banged up.

Michael Griffin. I am one of his bigest critics, but I have to say he has impressed me thus far. He seems to be a different player. He is already 100000 times more aggressive than he was at any point last year. He was actually meeting the ball carrier head-on and using his entire body to make a stop rather than trying to make an arm tackle. The INT was a bad decision on Skelton's part, but Griffin was in great posistion to make the play. Excited about his play so far. We need to him to be his former probowl self and be a leader on this defense. I'm sure Ruskie is VERY excited. Laughing

Colin Frickin McCarthy. What can be said about this guy that hasn't already been said a 1000 times? He's the real deal. So instinctive! His ability to read and react is truly remarkable for someone who's only in his second year in the league. Loved the play where he read the dump off screen, and came up and stuck the RB for a loss. His first INT he was in good posistion and made a nice catch even after Solomon kind of blocked his sight of the ball for a second. His second INT was just great coverage and made a play on the ball for the pick 6. Kolb even said he didn't see him and that it was "just a great play by the linebacker". Did see him miss a couple tackles in the backfield, but to be honest he probably shouldn't even have been there. The fact that he was in posistion to even make a play shows his capability to make huge plays in the future. Those TFLs will come with a little more playing time. I hate to be so optimistic (because Im so often let down lol), but can you say top 5 MLB and possible DPY candidate?

Special teams looked good. I dont know if its Reynaud or his blocking, but he consistantly gains signifiant yardage every return. The loss of Mariani is heart breaking, but I believe Reynaud was just guaranteed a roster spot with his injury. I think Reynaud will be able to take Mariani's spot on ST and should have success. Mooney with the big hit was awesome! Great tackle to force the turnover that led to the eventually game winning touchdown.

Cons

Not much negatives. Locker looked much better than last Friday, but still had some accuracy issues. Almost threw an interception on the Damian Williams comeback. Was late with the throw, but it was good coverage anyways. Probably shouldn't have made the attempt. Missed Nate on a touchdown. Threw high (again) and missed Nate over the middle. With the saftey falling down, this could have been an easy pass and catch for a would-be TD. The pass and catch to Cook should have been incomplete. That was just an incredible catch by Cook. There were others but I won't dwell on them any further.

O-line looked great in pass protection, but still pretty bad in run blocking. Not much room for CJ to run. CJ is still getting hit behind or at the LOS. Penalties along the O-line were frustring. Two holding calls against Leroy Harris to go along with an "illegal chop block". Still plenty of issues that need to be addressed.

Not as many drops this week. Nate had a drop that probably should have been caught, but the ball was behind him. Other than that I didn't notice many more.

Second team defense got ran on pretty good. Of course this was without Area 52, but they got man-handled.

As I said earlier, I would have liked to see a few more screens. There was another drop (by Ringer?) on a screen, and another on 3rd and long that went for a decent gain (but not enough for the first down). Kind of wanted to see CJ get some more opportunities in the screen game as well as Reynaud.

Overall I think this was a great game. Alot of positives compared to very little negatives. Each week we are getting better as a football team. Still alot improvements to be made, but I believe we are moving in the right direction.

Very exciting time to be a Titans fan!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local reporter said on Twitter that the pass Locker threw to Cook could have been a TD if it was accurate, but I disagree.

When they showed the blimp like view they showed that Locker pumped faked the Saftey and CB and made the jump an inside route which got Cook open. And then threw the ball away from the Safety that maybe could have made a play on the ball if it was thrown inside.

So Locker actually threw his targe open and luckily Cook is a good athlete he was about to adjust to go get the ball.

To me that was too great plays. One made by the catcher and one made by the thrower.
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
A local reporter said on Twitter that the pass Locker threw to Cook could have been a TD if it was accurate, but I disagree.

When they showed the blimp like view they showed that Locker pumped faked the Saftey and CB and made the jump an inside route which got Cook open. And then threw the ball away from the Safety that maybe could have made a play on the ball if it was thrown inside.

So Locker actually threw his targe open and luckily Cook is a good athlete he was about to adjust to go get the ball.

To me that was too great plays. One made by the catcher and one made by the thrower.

Watching Cook try to straighten out his hips i thought he had pulled up on the route then realized Jake was going to get the ball where it was supposed to be, thus having to get moving again. Can't blame him for that, Jake's arm strength is far beyond any QB Cook has played with so far in his career.
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.titansonline.com/media-center/videos/Titansonlinecom-Press-Conference-LIVE/3a9e5eef-668e-4e63-be41-f887e6790807

Press Conference LIVE
Same time as Mike Vicks new dog grooming show.

Justin Hunter #FTW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY-FTW wrote:
http://www.titansonline.com/media-center/videos/Titansonlinecom-Press-Conference-LIVE/3a9e5eef-668e-4e63-be41-f887e6790807

Press Conference LIVE
Sounds like the starters may go a full half in the last preseason game.

Adopted Titans - Sammie Lee Hill and Jackie Battle
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munch just said that the TD to Kendall was actually a called run play that Locker checked out of.

ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
VY-FTW wrote:

Press Conference LIVE
Sounds like the starters may go a full half in the last preseason game.

As they should IMO. Locker needs as much work as he can get before the opener. I hope Brees plays a good amount but I doubt it. The D hasn't really faced a good QB yet.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munch sounds pretty non-committal about the starting safety spot next to Griff. Sounds like the plan is to get both Babs and RJ on the field a lot this year.

titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is nice to listen to Munch. Doesn't use a ton of coach speak, pretty much tells you what's happening.

TitanTuff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
It really is nice to listen to Munch. Doesn't use a ton of coach speak, pretty much tells you what's happening.

I like this as well. It got so tiring watching Fisher who was continually coy with reporters and always showed visible signs that he didn't want to be there.

2013 Adopt-A-Titan RYAN FITZPATRICK 4
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him planning to use Babs and RJ as the starter in different situations is an interesting route to take. Honestly never thought he'd try something like that, and don't think I've ever seen a "rotating" system at a safety spot before, dependent on the opposing team's offense.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Munch just said that the TD to Kendall was actually a called run play that Locker checked out of.

Yeah, it def appeared that the offense was moving to the left, when Locker just rifled it to the right.

Love the poise.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrojanMan217 wrote:
Our starting QB is Ryan Mallet???

Im posting late but im glad someone else saw it besides me. I was like WTF dont disrespect Locker like that get the kids name right atleast mess up with a guy thats on our team

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: