Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 3 GDT: Carolina @ New York
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjkilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o line struggled with those 3-4 blitzes. offense did ok considering smitty was out. hope stew isn't a high ankle or something more severe. i didn't see tolbert at all. granted i could only watch bits and pieces...how'd he look?

love the rotational pass rushers. they make a play or two every game. norman is crazy aggressive. gamble looks as soft as ever. the middle of the D is easy to pick apart without beason out there. overall we got the W. one more then they count.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munnerlyn is straight up terrible. I will be a happy guy once Norman, Hogan, Butler, or for the love that is holy anybody on the planet replaces him as the #2. Lucking into an INT doesn't make me forget the penalties, massive cushions, and just plain bad coverage.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Munnerlyn is straight up terrible. I will be a happy guy once Norman, Hogan, Butler, or for the love that is holy anybody on the planet replaces him as the #2. Lucking into an INT doesn't make me forget the penalties, massive cushions, and just plain bad coverage.

Bingo. For him to look decent, he has to hang on the guy he is covering which results in PI 75% of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there were some stupid mistakes that made the offenses performance go from good to "meh". I actually think if the offense could have won more first/second down plays they would have been fine without Smith. Bash the other receivers all you want but the odds of converting 3rd and 8's aren't going to be good even with Smith.

Preseason is difficult to judge, especially because of things like the run game never getting a chance to reach it's full impact. Keeping with the run is something teams rarely do anymore it seems, but the run is usually most effective at the end of games. I thought the backs finally got on track on the TD drive although DeAngelo fumbled and Stewart sprained an ankle.

fretgod99 wrote:

It's so true. Captain is barely good enough to be on the field and it's so apparent. He isn't the Steve Smith of the defense he is more like the Drew Carter or Keary Colbert.

I can't wait for Norman to take Captain's job. I give it three games at most. I'm perplexed why we wouldn't do it. Does the whole "throw him into the fire" only hold true for Cam and not this confident cornerback?

Also, Kuechly is going to be the best player on this defense very soon. He was everywhere. He would clog a hole in the line and Green would bounce somewhere else and Kuechly would make the tackle still. 10 total and 2 solo means he is constantly the first player to the ball. Gang tackling is how you play the run.

Overall, I was ok with what I saw and I'm extremely happy to leave that game with Stewart's ankle being the only real injury.

Last edited by Moody on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
It's so true. Captain is barely good enough to be on the field and it's so apparent. He isn't the Steve Smith of the defense he is more like the Drew Carter or Keary Colbert.

Honestly, I think Gamble has looked a bit soft this preseason (I know, I know) and I think it's because he believes "well, if I were the QB I'd throw at Munnerlyn every play" which luls him to sleep.

I can't wait for Norman to take Captain's job. I give it three games at most. I'm perplexed why we wouldn't do it. Does the whole "throw him into the fire" only hold true for Cam and not this confident cornerback?
Well, he was in a lot last night. Whenever there was a third receiver, Munnerlyn moved to the slot and Norman played outside. Didn't look too bad, either.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Panthers11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 1 on TB is the perfect chance for Norman to start. Gamble will take Jackson but Mike Williams is not too tough of a #2 for Josh.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:

Also, Kuechly is going to be the best player on this defense very soon. He was everywhere. He would clog a hole in the line and Green would bounce somewhere else and Kuechly would make the tackle still. 10 total and 2 solo means he is constantly the first player to the ball. Gang tackling is how you play the run.

This is the key here. We executed it perfectly last night. The line clogged and LBs cleaned up. I think if we can clean up some of the CB work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least there is one good thing we can say from last night, there is still allot we can improve on.

Overall we looked pretty sluggish, never really got in sync offensively.

I think the only completions Cam had came threw passes where someone not named Revis or Cromartie was in coverage.

Run game was about on par.

We desperately need Smith on the field.

Tutu should be cut.

I want Gettis back now.

Hope Stews injury wasn't serious.

Outside of a couple runs our Run D was dominate, really happy about that.

The fact Mark Sanchez was able to drive on us has me a little worried about our Pass D.

Thomas Davis is a beast.

So is Keuchly.

I honestly believe Medlock and Nortman have the edge in the kicking battles.

Pilares hasn't been looking as solid as last year on kickoffs yet.

Overall, not a great game for the starters but this is what preseason is for and hopefully we can continue to improve, get healthier, and be ready to rock come Sept. 9th.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked Tutu started over Murphy. I don't see a reason for keeping him let alone starting him. He's got size, speed and knows the playbook but he can't play.

I don't think he has any connection with Cam whatsoever. Whereas Murphy came in and Cam went right to him, because they have a connection.

This team doesn't need any of those ex-charger bandaids anymore that make the team because of familiarity. Honestly I'd take Armanti over him.

I actually feel ok about our receivers and I'd feel good if Gettis came back.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Murphy locks up that third spot now that Gettis is on the PUP.

I believe Captain will be starting at the #2 cb spot, Norman should take over by week 4 since Hogan won't be seeing the field in the next 5 years

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
boston9089

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see that forearm one of the Jets put to Newtons throat after he hit him to the ground? First quarter I think. Is that a fine or a "look the other way"
panther dude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the game closer, I didnt see Cro or Revis on LaFell too much.

And Silatou or however you spell it is looking like a SCRUB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Ajiritutu and Captain Munnerlyn were pretty bad.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
And Ajiritutu and Captain Munnerlyn were pretty bad.
I like the subtle understatement here.

MrDrew wrote:
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have your guys' 1st team offense/defense looked this offseason? Be brutally honest with me, strengths and weaknesses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: