Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tarvaris Jackson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it. We could work with him.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
If Graham Harrell has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

If TJack has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

If Colt McCoy has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

If Kevin Kolb has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

For better or worse, the Packers are going to live or die on the back of Aaron Rodgers. This team is predicated on excellent quarterback play in order to win games, and no backup QB that you can get at this stage in the game is going to provide anything close to that level of play.

So I'm not sure why you spend anything on upgrading the position. If Rodgers goes down for the season like Cutler did last year, the season is over and you're probably better off with the better draft pick anyway. If the Packers are going to have another quality home-grown backup like Flynn, it will probably be in molding Coleman over the next few years.

Cabbage, there may be other posters who out-geek you on stats, and there may be other posters whose professional lives out-network you on inside information, but, to me, your take on matters is always a rock-solid long view.

Your point is, the weakness at backup quarterback is here to stay for this season. Accept it and move on.

The only issue I have is this: why is MM continuing to not just defend but advocate for Harrell? One wonders if he just personally likes the kid too much.

Given the points you make above, isn't cutting Harrell from the final roster and giving more time to Coleman the smarter move?

Edit: After reading some of the posts following Cabbage's I am surprised to see the continued sentiments of "Don't give up yet" on Harrell. I'll be pretty mad if we lose Coleman to waivers trying to get him on the practice squad.

Last edited by blueswedeshoes on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99% sure we have zero interest. LaConfora is just suggesting that we are in need of a different backup QB. Jackson has been crappy with two different starting opportunities. He's going to be even crappier in an offense that doesn't fit, without reps with that first team, and with little run support. Honestly, his game isn't an NFL style. He isn't accurate. I know the mobility is tempting but mobility is at the top of my list for overrated attributes in a QB.

I know at least I was very happen when Minnesota took him two rounds early and committed themselves to mediocre QB play.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
I'm 99% sure we have zero interest. LaConfora is just suggesting that we are in need of a different backup QB. Jackson has been crappy with two different starting opportunities. He's going to be even crappier in an offense that doesn't fit, without reps with that first team, and with little run support. Honestly, his game isn't an NFL style. He isn't accurate. I know the mobility is tempting but mobility is at the top of my list for overrated attributes in a QB.

I know at least I was very happen when Minnesota took him two rounds early and committed themselves to mediocre QB play.

Agree with every word! Highly doubt Mac wants anything to do with that one. Outside of McCoy, I don't see a possible QB cut they might jump at.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:

Agree with every word! Highly doubt Mac wants anything to do with that one. Outside of McCoy, I don't see a possible QB cut they might jump at.

McCoy is only 25, but I'm pretty sure he is a Free Agent after this year--that makes his trade value pretty low for Cleveland. He's sure to want another starting gig. If he can't find one Green Bay would be attractive because A) History of being a QB factory. B) McCarthy and Clements. C) Aaron Rodgers concussions. And D) Surrounding cast is the polar opposite of Cleveland.

If Colt wants to rehab is career for a year or two, Green Bay would be a perfect fit.
byzr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd give the hawks 2 brats and a sixer of Natty Light but not a hop more.

i'm perfectly fine with letting Harrel and Coleman develop just as Rodgers did and just as Flynn did. Mac and TT both know QBs and wouldn't have kept Harrel around if he hadn't shown them something and Coleman is young with a live arm.

if Rodgers goes down our offense will rally around whoever is under center.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
i'd give the hawks 2 brats and a sixer of Natty Light but not a hop more.

i'm perfectly fine with letting Harrel and Coleman develop just as Rodgers did and just as Flynn did. Mac and TT both know QBs and wouldn't have kept Harrel around if he hadn't shown them something and Coleman is young with a live arm.

if Rodgers goes down our offense will rally around whoever is under center.

My only problem with that is that while Harrell has stunk up every game action he has seen he has supposedly shown something in practice but it was likely against the same guys who just made Jarrett Lee look like a competent quarterback. I'm questioning whether it's actually Harrell being that decent in practice or our defense really being THAT bad.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
mxr124

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
If Graham Harrell has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

If TJack has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

If Colt McCoy has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

If Kevin Kolb has to start a game for the Packers, we probably lose that game.

For better or worse, the Packers are going to live or die on the back of Aaron Rodgers. This team is predicated on excellent quarterback play in order to win games, and no backup QB that you can get at this stage in the game is going to provide anything close to that level of play.

So I'm not sure why you spend anything on upgrading the position. If Rodgers goes down for the season like Cutler did last year, the season is over and you're probably better off with the better draft pick anyway. If the Packers are going to have another quality home-grown backup like Flynn, it will probably be in molding Coleman over the next few years.

This
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if Rodgers goes down for the season in week two your ok with giving up on the season for a better draft slot. Let me be the first to say THE HELL WITH THAT!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
So if Rodgers goes down for the season in week two your ok with giving up on the season for a better draft slot. Let me be the first to say THE HELL WITH THAT!!!!!!

Do you really think there is any available QB out there that would give the Packers a legitimate shot to even make the playoffs? And is that QB worth the cost strictly as an insurance policy on Rodgers health? I agree with the always play to win, and not just mailing it in, but realistically if Rodgers goes down, this team is pretty much dead in the water.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Do you really think there is any available QB out there that would give the Packers a legitimate shot to even make the playoffs? And is that QB worth the cost strictly as an insurance policy on Rodgers health? I agree with the always play to win, and not just mailing it in, but realistically if Rodgers goes down, this team is pretty much dead in the water.

Maybe, maybe not. But no player/staff worth a hill of beans thinks that way. You always play for the week. That's a fans line of thinking right there. You don't make it to the pro level though with that mindset. Even more so with this team/brass. TT has built this thing on pride! Giving up on a season would KILL the culture that took years to build. No frickin way I play that hand!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offense is stacked. I definitely believe someone could step in and lead us to the playoffs.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Thigpen
Matt Moore
Brian Hoyer
Colt McCoy
Seneca Wallace
Matt Hasselbeck
Brady Quinn
Stephen McGee
Josh Johnson
Trent Edwards
Rex Grossman
Josh McCown
spilltray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Tyler Thigpen
Matt Moore
Brian Hoyer
Colt McCoy
Seneca Wallace
Matt Hasselbeck
Brady Quinn
Stephen McGee
Josh Johnson
Trent Edwards
Rex Grossman
Josh McCown

I'd be willing to bet Harrell has just as good a chance as any of those guys, bringing them in now with a very limited familiarity with the team and playbook.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate for the team to give up. However, I don't know what would be more frustrating: Going 4-12 because the QB is inadequate or going 8-8 because the QB just isn't good enough. IMO that is what we're looking at without Rodgers, unless the defense shows something they haven't in over a year.
Hopefully this is much ado about nothing.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: