Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game Day Thread Seahawks at Broncos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiehardBronxFan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhuston wrote:
This was a poor effort by the reserves. I am trying to look for a bright spot in the second half but it is hard. Malik Jackson and Jeremy Beal stood out a little bit but that's about it.

I thought Seattle was way more up for this game. Our defense scares me a little in the fact that at times we are all or nothing. If we didn't get there right a way, it resulted in a big play for the hawks.

Looking at our draft picks it is real disappointing. Wolfe was ok, Os. was terrible, Hillman - is he even on the team, Bolden showed nothing, Blake was terrible, Jackson was ok, and DT didn't play. I really hope for a lot more next week.

Overall this was a really poor performance buy our offense in the first half with three turnovers and even a worse performance by both offense and defense in the second half. Let's hope for a better next week.

They held Hillman out due to his Hamm. Hope he heals up and shows something, cause you're right, so far (and its early) the rookies other than Wolfe aren't setting the world on fire. And after Von and Franklin, last years class still has a lot to prove, too.
broncospride95

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhuston wrote:
This was a poor effort by the reserves. I am trying to look for a bright spot in the second half but it is hard. Malik Jackson and Jeremy Beal stood out a little bit but that's about it.

I thought Seattle was way more up for this game. Our defense scares me a little in the fact that at times we are all or nothing. If we didn't get there right a way, it resulted in a big play for the hawks.

Looking at our draft picks it is real disappointing. Wolfe was ok, Os. was terrible, Hillman - is he even on the team, Bolden showed nothing, Blake was terrible, Jackson was ok, and DT didn't play. I really hope for a lot more next week.

Overall this was a really poor performance buy our offense in the first half with three turnovers and even a worse performance by both offense and defense in the second half. Let's hope for a better next week.

Let me remind you it's only the second preseason game. Let's hold off judgement on our draft picks till at least after they've played games that matter.

Honestly I don't really mind all that much about how most players play in preseason because often it really doesn't matter (with a few exceptions). The regular season and playoffs are what counts. Preseason is a time to rid rust, learn from your mistakes, and move on. Anyone else notice most of the time the teams that light up preseason usually don't do much in the regular season? I like preseason just for the fact that football is on again. I'm not too worried if a player has a poor showing and I'm definitely not going to throw them under the bus if they had one poor preseason game.

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the brief skim through the first half I can say that...

- Manning's throw velocity looked much better last night
- Willis runs hard and set to have a year similar to last season
- Ball is our poor man's Rhodes
- the idea of Dreessen ahead of Tamme is growing on me
- Wolfe looked good again
- Warren was better than anticipated
- Florence was a wise acquisition and he is out to prove it
- Harris (except for being beaten deep once by TO) played strongly
- Bruton - the ST player, not the safety - made a case for not being cut

- our new home jerseys look really good with their bright, almost neon, orange

I haven't had the time to watch the second half. So for that and a more detailed analysis overall I hope to get some input from the usual suspects on here. Thanks guys.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will watch the game in more detail later, but a couple of notes. Very concerning how our team Defended against the zone runs that we saw (all of our units). The Raiders are running a ZBS this year and Jamaal Charles is in my opinion the best RB in the NFL on zone stretch plays, so this is very concerning. Seattle were cutting a LOT upfront, and our DL obviously have seen that in Training Camp (high risk of injury) so we really struggled with staying on our feet.

The pass down the seem from Manning was a poor one; it wasn't there, although I think Dreesen would have laid out for that in a regular season game. Other than that, I thought Manning was impressive again. The way he slides away from pressure is so impressive, and it sure is nice to see our QB go through 4 progressions on one play.

I will watch the game in more detail at some point and let you know my thoughts again.

MUFC OK
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Will watch the game in more detail later, but a couple of notes. Very concerning how our team Defended against the zone runs that we saw (all of our units). The Raiders are running a ZBS this year and Jamaal Charles is in my opinion the best RB in the NFL on zone stretch plays, so this is very concerning. Seattle were cutting a LOT upfront, and our DL obviously have seen that in Training Camp (high risk of injury) so we really struggled with staying on our feet.

The pass down the seem from Manning was a poor one; it wasn't there, although I think Dreesen would have laid out for that in a regular season game. Other than that, I thought Manning was impressive again. The way he slides away from pressure is so impressive, and it sure is nice to see our QB go through 4 progressions on one play.

I will watch the game in more detail at some point and let you know my thoughts again.
A lot of that came from Woodyard doesn't have much experience playing a ZBS like D.J. does. The majority of runs came on our right side of the defense. Elvis would get sealed, Woodyard would get chipped and Mays either overran the play or missed the tackle.

While I have confidence in Woodyard in the passing game and in the open field, I have no confidence in him filling the hole and containing backside. That was something D.J. was good at even if he is a bit overrated. I also have no confidence in Mays to do anything but occasionally hit someone hard.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Ball stats. Too painfully average. Can someone step up and beat this guy out. I know what to expect from this guy during the regular season and I am not looking forward to it.

At running back, where things are crowded, Lance Ball was the second back into the game against the Seahawks on Saturday night. Ball also ended up being the leading receiver among the starters with four receptions in the opening half.

From the backfield, he had just two carries for 5 yards.

Read more: Broncos' Lance Ball makes mark at running back - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21346806/broncos-lance-ball-makes-mark-at-running-back#ixzz240ik0vPr
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21346806/broncos-lance-ball-makes-mark-at-running-back#ixzz240ik0vPr

Quote:
In the preseason, the Broncos' starting defense has held the Bears and Seahawks to a combined 2-of-19 on third-down conversion attempts.

Quite impressive Shocked
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Ball is the new Kyle Orton.

BroncoinGermany wrote:
- Bruton - the ST player, not the safety - made a case for not being cut

It's pretty obvious the coaching staff wanted Bruton on the team just after the week 1 game. He played all four quarters in his normal(and important) role of personal protector on the punting unit, we had no one step in to replace him in a preseason game, which was not what we did with the other special teams positions. He's almost surely going to make the team.
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to pay close attention to either preseason game, but I haven't been impressed with Dreessen and Tamme as blockers. For those who have paid more attention, are they struggling or am I just catching a couple outliers every time?
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I haven't been able to pay close attention to either preseason game, but I haven't been impressed with Dreessen and Tamme as blockers. For those who have paid more attention, are they struggling or am I just catching a couple outliers every time?

Not directly related and I am not answering your question, but I actually saw Tamme motion from TE to FB that we ran out of in our last game. I will be sure to comment on it when I look at the game in more detail.

MUFC OK
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before everyone overreacts about the play of the team, especially the rookies, we need to remember that this is preseason.

That being said, I thought the first teams played fairly well, but a bit lackluster. The defense got gashed initially, but overall I actually thought we looked pretty good. Some missed tackles, but you can absolutely tell JDR has drilled it into these guys heads that they will tackle appropriately.

Manning's second pick was awful, his first pick was a mix between his fault and Beadles inability to keep Mebane's hands down. At any rate, I thought Manning looked really good in the two minute, and the offense mostly was able to work it's way down the field. The turnovers are what they are, but that's why this is preseason. The ability for this team to get down the field the way they did is going to be big this season, especially at home.

I think personally that Beadles and Walton were getting too much crap this game for their performance. On the whole, both played well. I actually felt our entire line had a good performance keeping Manning clean and giving him a pocket. Manning is so slippery back there and rarely gets hit which is great.

The backups looked rough. 2nd team OL is garbage. All the Ryan Harris champions on this board should take note of how badly he was worked this whole game. He isn't making this team, and I think he's done. Defensively, Malik Jackson impressed me. He gets nice push, he'll be good rotational fodder.

I would say that this game, especially with the first strings was a pretty big example of a preseason game where the team did situational work. We saw a lot of hurry up, a lot of stretch plays, etc...I think McCoy is trying to see what works and what doesn't.

Also, I know Lance Ball fumbled, but after the play of Moreno/Omon/Johnson, I'm not sure why we're still hating on Ball. He's the best receiving and blocking back we have. People who don't think that's important in a football team have no idea what they're talking about. He's making it. He won't get the touches Hillman does, but he's firmly on the team, IMO.

Thanks, Tzimisce
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notes on a further watch of the game :-

* As everyone knows, Ramirez started at RG. 1st play of the game saw us go with a 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB look but with Tamme lined up in the slot. Tamme motioned to FB. I actually think the Broncos missed out here due to clear chemistry issues between Ramirez and Franklin. They doubled up on the NT instead of doubling then peeling off to the next level. Tamme made contact with a LB, but it wasn't a great block.

* Interestingly, the next play we kept the same personnel but Tamme this time ran a route from the slot. Not convinced on his athleticism to play this role but obviously our Coaches have seen something.

* I actually think the failed 3rd and 1 was 100% on Willis McGahee, not the OL. He had a hole inside to hit thanks to a great block by JD Walton, but he bounced it outside and lost 4 yards.

* Man, Del Rio isn't afraid of showing some of his exotic blitzes in the preseason. 2nd play sees us (from our base 4-3) drop Elvis into coverage from RE, have Von Miller cover the strongside flat from SLB, and blitz Woodyard (from WLB) and Mays (from MLB). Joe Mays blows right past Marshawn Lynch, who has to hold Mays for a penalty. Ty Warren makes a great move off the LOS to force Flynn to scramble.

* I can tell you this - 2nd and 20 is not going to be a good down for opposing Offenses against our pass rush. Elvis, Von and Mitch Unrein all win at the LOS and Matt Flynn gets hit by 3 Broncos at once. Really impressed with the way Unrein split his double team. Wolfe was the other DT in the Nickel.

* Of the Broncos first 5 plays on Offense, Tamme initially lined up in the slot on 3 of them.

* Hard to pin the Manning INT on Beadles or Walton. Red Bryant barely attacks the pocket whatsoever (likely gassed as we were running no huddle), and Manning threw it straight at him.

* On the 8 yard carry of Robert Turbin's, Joe Mays over ran the play, hence him missing the tackle. Mays read the play all the way and was totally untouched, so he has no excuse for not making that play for a 1 yard gain.

* With 6.30 left in the 1st, not seen anything of any note from Derek Wolfe. Not won at the LOS yet. Dumervil on the other hand has been very impressive from a pass rush perspective. One of the hardest downs to rush the passer is 1st and 10 when the Offense is in their 2 TE, 1 RB, 1 FB, 1 WR package. You have to commit to the run first, so for Elvis to beat Russell Okung so well out of play action is a great sign.

* Interesting that during the Okung hold, Florence got easily beat and on the next play, he went out of our base 4-3 with Chris Harris playing RCB.

* I really am concerned with this teams ability to defend zone runs. On the Lynch 10+ yard run it is a zone left misdirection play where the line go left, the FB and RB fake to go left but then both cut it back to the right. The fake gets all 3 of our LB's, with Mays and Woodyard totally taken out of the play. The FB blocks Miller in the hole, but Dumervil is who I am most disappointed with on this play. He is 1v1 vs Anthony McCoy (TE) and he gets blocked easily on the backside of the play. Poor execution all around by our Defense.

* The officiating in the backfield has been terrible. Dumervil being held every time he rushes the passer ...

* I think our 1st team OL have looked good in the 1st quarter in both pass pro and run blocking. Manny Ramirez looks powerful at the POA, and JD Walton made a great pancake block on McGahee biggest run of the night.

Will watch the 2nd quarter onwards a bit later on in the week.

MUFC OK
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to see who steps up at TE.

IMO, Tamme is a joke. He's a crap player who made a mark w/ Manning in Indy. Right place, right time in that offense. Guys just isn't a talented player.

Dreesen is an interesting guy. His role in Houston let him make some plays. IMO, he's a better option than Tamme.

Just not seeing that presence at the position we thought would be there w/ Manning at QB.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't been able to watch a game so between stats, play by play and mostly your opinions I've got one observation.

Safety play, a huge concern coming into the season hasn't been discussed at all in these gameday threads. I guess no news is good news?
broncospride95

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Still haven't been able to watch a game so between stats, play by play and mostly your opinions I've got one observation.

Safety play, a huge concern coming into the season hasn't been discussed at all in these gameday threads. I guess no news is good news?

Well we've played the Jay Cutlerless Bears and the Seahawks. The safety's haven't really been tested all that much if really any at all so far in preseason at least from what I've noticed. So either our safety's are doing a good job down field coverage for the most part or QB's aren't taking shots down field yet (hard to tell without coaches film).

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: