Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Toby! Toby! Toby!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Toby! Toby! Toby! Reply with quote

The first-half play of Toby Gerhart against the Buffalo Bills might allow Vikings fans to breathe easier while awaiting the return of injured Adrian Peterson. Gerhart, a 231-pound running back, carried the ball six times for 30 yards against the Bills on Friday, Aug. 17, at the Metrodome. His 16-yard burst up the middle to the Buffalo 4 on second and 18 early in the first quarter led directly to Minnesota's first TD.

Gerhart: "It was just coming off a sack, so we were backed up a little ways. That got us into a third-and-manageable. I wish I would have kept my feet and scored, but we converted on the next play and then scored, so that's big points for the offense. It feels good to get out here and show what I can do. I think the last two games I've done OK to show that I can carry the load if need be."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21341628/minnesota-vikings-toby-gerhart-plays-like-starter-adrian

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With how Toby is playing I would have no problem resting AP for the first couple weeks of the season if he isn't absolutely 100% back to normal.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby has been playing solid.
I'd rather hold AP till week 3, when the competition rises a bit, but I have my doubts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Toby has been playing solid.
I'd rather hold AP till week 3, when the competition rises a bit, but I have my doubts.

I think it's better to give him snaps right away, so he gets acclimated to game speed against lesser opponents. Don't throw him to the wolves right away.
this providence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian's not going to allow Frazier to sit him down for the first few weeks. That's probably what should happen to protect the guy's career, but with his motivation I doubt they can convince him to do it.

As far as Toby's play, it's been reliable but nothing to write home about. Whether you're talking about this preseason or his career. If he's going to be your starter he'll give you around 90 yards per and perhaps a TD. I don't think he's the type of guy who's capable of much more. Solid option as a back up like he should be, but he'd be an average at best starter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
Adrian's not going to allow Frazier to sit him down for the first few weeks. That's probably what should happen to protect the guy's career, but with his motivation I doubt they can convince him to do it.

As far as Toby's play, it's been reliable but nothing to write home about. Whether you're talking about this preseason or his career. If he's going to be your starter he'll give you around 90 yards per and perhaps a TD. I don't think he's the type of guy who's capable of much more. Solid option as a back up like he should be, but he'd be an average at best starter.

I think going by a 50/50 approach would be the most appropriate in this case. Let them share the load for the first few games, and then really let Adrian "start" for us.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

I think going by a 50/50 approach would be the most appropriate in this case. Let them share the load for the first few games, and then really let Adrian "start" for us.

I think that's been the plan all along.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
If he's going to be your starter he'll give you around 90 yards per and perhaps a TD. I don't think he's the type of guy who's capable of much more.

So your idea of "nothing to write home about" is Adrian Peterson type numbers?

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
If he's going to be your starter he'll give you around 90 yards per and perhaps a TD. I don't think he's the type of guy who's capable of much more. Solid option as a back up like he should be, but he'd be an average at best starter.

1440 yards and 16 TDs over the season? Works for me.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not one mention of Belushi?

hmmph.

Webmaster wrote:
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
not one mention of Belushi?

hmmph.

Before their time! They is youngins, after all.
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
this providence wrote:
If he's going to be your starter he'll give you around 90 yards per and perhaps a TD. I don't think he's the type of guy who's capable of much more. Solid option as a back up like he should be, but he'd be an average at best starter.

No kidding lol. If thats average, then there are a ton of terrible runningbacks in the league.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
this providence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_allday2869 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
this providence wrote:

No kidding lol. If thats average, then there are a ton of terrible runningbacks in the league.

Considering the hypothetical game I outlined would be around the best case game for Toby.

But by all means, take the number and stretch it out over a 16 game schedule. We all know how consistent running backs are...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's jumping to conclusions? You were the one that wrote "he'll give you 90 per and perhaps a touchdown". Basic comprehension of the English language will tell you that when you use the word "per", it's the same as saying "each" or "averaging", which would result in a 1400 yard season, with around 10 touchdowns.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
let's all be nice. daddy hates it when his boys fight.

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: