Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Posed to have the best "surprise" season?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who gets it?
Hernandez
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Chandler
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Vereen
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Brady
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Mayo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

tonyto3690

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Posed to have the best "surprise" season? Reply with quote

Hernandez
The case for:
He was a dynamic playmaker whenever he was healthy last year, but missed time and played hurt for the second half of the regular season. All reports coming out of camp are that he's been uncoverable, showing athleticism, speed, and excellent route running.

The case against:
He's still #2 behind Gronkowski and is on an offense with Lloyd and Welker and as a result will naturally receive less targets than if he were on the Jags.

Chandler
The case for:
He has gotten rave reviews about his pass rush polish and strength and stoutness against the run. He's shown a wide variety of pass rushing moves not usually seen from rookies this early. Many questioned his strength and how he will match up in the NFL and pinned him as a project and he has seemingly already answered these questions and pinned as our feature pass rusher, taking first team snaps at DE.

The case against:
He's a rookie, and all rookie expectations have to be pinned with the rookie label.

Vereen
The case for:
He's shown in camp in the first preseason game a great amount of versatility, elusiveness, and lateral quickness. He has been used in a variety of packages and it looks like the Patriots intend to take full advantage of his ability as a receiver. He is far more explosive than Faulk ever was, though not nearly as talented as a pass blocker.

The case against:
He will be splitting the majority of snaps with Ridley in all likelyhood, and also be conceding snaps to Woodhead and Bolden. He is also unlikely to be getting a lot of goal line snaps as he isn't the biggest or strongest player, and as a result probably won't be sniping "easy" touchdowns to help his stats.

Brady:
The case for:
He's Brady. He's going to throw for 8000 yards, 80 TDs, and rush for 1000 yards.

The case against:

Mayo:
The case for:
It looks like we're going to play 43 primarily this year and with Spikes in the middle it allows Mayo the freedom to finally play a role besides cleanup. Given the freedom to make plays and blitz, he'll be able to really show his versatility as someone other than just a volume tackle machine.

The case against:
He hasn't played weakside linebacker for us save for a handful of scattered snaps- nothing for a full season and we have no idea if it's just preseason flashes due to scheme and what Belichick will actually allow him to do in a game.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
ConnPatFan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Posed to have the best "surprise" season? Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:

Brady:
The case for:
He's Brady. He's going to throw for 8000 yards, 80 TDs, and rush for 1000 yards.

That would be a lot of QB sneaks.

Also, Vereen is the only one of these players I am not expecting to be good/great.
samgurl775

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these players having a good year would surprise me.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them are going to be awesome. I think Mayo in particular is poised to "break out" based on how the rest of the NFL's fans view him. He's going to actually get a chance to make plays.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two on that list that could legitimately surprise are Vereen and Jones, and of those two, I'd take Jones. But overall, I'd prefer Mayo; I just have the feeling that he'll finally be allowed to make use of his speed and athleticism to make plays at the Will, instead of being shackled to the Mike and having to beat himself up taking on offensive linemen all the time. What he did in that New Orleans game didn't receive much attention, but there aren't too many guys in the league that could make some of the plays he did, especially what he did in coverage. If Hightower takes over the Sam and Spikes stays healthy, Mayo will thrive.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be Tavon Wilson. I was merely impressed with what I saw against the Saints.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more surprised if those guys you listed don't have a big season for us.

Brady, Mayo and Hernandez are main cogs of what makes us go now. Vereen is going to be a good spark for us especially if he runs the way he did against the Saints but he is going to have to show some sort of consistency.

Jones as Donut knows I expect him to be the next best thing for us. He's long, strong, not overly quick but the burst to get to the QB and honestly I don't think he's going to put up 13 sacks in his first year but he's going to be a troubling presence for linemen. Imagine kicking Chandler inside and him attacking poor interior linemen.

MMMMM that just sounds yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking an actual surprise contributor for this season it would be

Tavon Wilson-Going to be asked to cover TEs and play that big nickel role

Stallworth-Hes likely making the team over Deion Branch

Steve Gregory-In terms of just communication he's going to improve the defense. If I had to bank on someone having a quietly good season and no one giving them credit its probably Gregory as Chung is going to get by some sort of injury.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
Jones as Donut knows I expect him to be the next best thing for us. He's long, strong, not overly quick but the burst to get to the QB and honestly I don't think he's going to put up 13 sacks in his first year but he's going to be a troubling presence for linemen. Imagine kicking Chandler inside and him attacking poor interior linemen.

Man crush is almost 5 months strong Laughing He was on that Chad Jackson tier. Laughing
GoldenboyGB wrote:
Stallworth-Hes likely making the team over Deion Branch

That'd shock me.

I cant really think of who would shock me in a yr. But I cant really think of anyone. Brace if he makes the roster.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jermaine Cunningham

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Nihc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go Gaffney and Gregory

2014 Adopt-a-Patriot - Dominique Easley
Tackles: 0 | Sacks: 0 | QB Hits: 0 | TFL: 0 | Fumble Recoveries: 0
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Posed to have the best "surprise" season? Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:

Mayo:
The case for:
It looks like we're going to play 43 primarily this year and with Spikes in the middle it allows Mayo the freedom to finally play a role besides cleanup. Given the freedom to make plays and blitz, he'll be able to really show his versatility as someone other than just a volume tackle machine.

The case against:
He hasn't played weakside linebacker for us save for a handful of scattered snaps- nothing for a full season and we have no idea if it's just preseason flashes due to scheme and what Belichick will actually allow him to do in a game.

Question Mayo played WILL a lot last season, it was the position where he spent the most time. Spikes getting injured and the shift back to more 3-4 looks down the stretch led to him moving inside at times but to say he played WILL for "a handful of scattered snaps" is just wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Posed to have the best "surprise" season? Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:

The case against:
He will be splitting the majority of snaps with Ridley in all likelyhood, and also be conceding snaps to Woodhead and Bolden. He is also unlikely to be getting a lot of goal line snaps as he isn't the biggest or strongest player, and as a result probably won't be sniping "easy" touchdowns to help his stats.

Can't see Vereen losing snaps to Brandon Bolden who is not only a totally different type of player (and shouldn't be competing for Vereen's opportunities) but isn't even a sure thing to make the roster.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Brace...if he can stay healthy, which is kinda of a huge if.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will go with Gaffney out performing Lloyd as my surprise, because it would be surprising and possible despite being very unlikely.

Sigs-Taking Requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: