Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Drafting Johnny Manziel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
resilient

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Drafting Johnny Manziel Reply with quote

It has been on my mind for a while now. With JM probably declaring and his "rumored stock" to be somewhere in rd one, has it crossed anyone's mind that Jerry Jones may actually take the Texas native with tons of Hype to eventually succeed Romo?

It seems like it would be something Jones would actually consider if JM was around at Dallas' pick.

Yes Dallas has much bigger needs and Yes there is a chance JM never pans out. Yet with Romo's age and the success of Qbs' like Wilson in Seattle, does it really seem that far fetched of a possibility? This is the type of Splash that JJ would love to make.

On that note, does any agree that this is an actually reasonable possibility?

An if so, what are your feelings on how Johnny Football will fair in Dallas/NFL?
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first round, I find a new team. Much better round one prospects at QB let alone other positions. If we are talking 3rd/4th I'll NEVER be mad at trying to steal a potential starting QB in the 3rd/4th as long as they know when to move on if it isn't work *cough McGee cough*.

Johnny Football doesn't amaze me though.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Tony7188

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support Dallas drafting Johnny Football, if it's in the 2nd round. 1st round should be dedicated to more protection (OL) or to the DL since at least 3 starters are gone next year (Ratliff, Hatcher, Spencer).

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a bye discussion but I guess this is close enough.

A couple of things to consider. The cowboys were one of 6 teams to send scouts to Manziel's final home game. I don't think it's much of a secret that the cowboys have some level of interest. So, yes, I'd say its feasible.

Second, however, is that Manziel will likely be a top 15 pick. I think the Alabama game solidified him at the top half of the first round. So, to realistically have a shot at Manziel, I think the cowboys may have to trade up. I don't really see that happening.

If Manziel were to fall to the Cowboys, I'd say that there is better than a 50% chance the cowboys draft him for all of the reasons stated by the OP.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we draft Manfail in the 1st round, I will go on a JerryHate fueled rage the likes of which this forum has never seen. You think Slam & Plan are critical of Jerry? I'll make them look like the Pres and Vice Pres of the "I Heart Jerry Club".

Manziel is nothing more than the love child of Tim Tebow, RG3 & Colon Crappernick with a midget thrown in for height purposes. The problem is, the NFL has already figured out the read option BS. That and the fact that QB's who run it have trouble reading defenses, along with Manziel's lack of height, make him the perfect storm for NFL failure.

Hell, I haven't even mentioned his attitude/ego problems yet. If this pampered and entitled, self aggrandizing, primadonna tastes failure early and often in his career, you know he'll be a problem in the locker room. Manziel is destined to fail at the NFL level and likely won't see the end of his rookie contract. But, I'm sure some idiot GM will think they can control him and will take him in the 1st round. I just pray that we aren't the team that does it.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
If we draft Manfail in the 1st round, I will go on a JerryHate fueled rage the likes of which this forum has never seen. You think Slam & Plan are critical of Jerry? I'll make them look like the Pres and Vice Pres of the "I Heart Jerry Club".

Manziel is nothing more than the love child of Tim Tebow, RG3 & Colon Crappernick with a midget thrown in for height purposes. The problem is, the NFL has already figured out the read option BS. That and the fact that QB's who run it have trouble reading defenses, along with Manziel's lack of height, make him the perfect storm for NFL failure.

Hell, I haven't even mentioned his attitude/ego problems yet. If this pampered and entitled, self aggrandizing, primadonna tastes failure early and often in his career, you know he'll be a problem in the locker room. Manziel is destined to fail at the NFL level and likely won't see the end of his rookie contract. But, I'm sure some idiot GM will think they can control him and will take him in the 1st round. I just pray that we aren't the team that does it.

You need to work on your communications skills man.....I just don't get nor understand how you feel.... Laughing
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hint of a pass rush and Manziel crumbles. Look at the LSU game from this year and last for an example.

He's not a guy I want on my team not just because of personal issues but because I don't think he will succeed in the NFL even with time on the bench. As ht, eluded to the read option has been figured out just like the "wild cat" BS was.

There are plenty of other QBs in this class I'd prefer if we elect to draft a QB, and even more in next years.

^^^mack
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see Manfail's attitude and actions, I see Ryan Leaf written all over him!!

Sorry, I don't want the next coming of Ryan Leaf on this team! JUST SAY NO!!!!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think Manziel has a chance to be a stud, but his attitude issue make him too big of a risk for me. Give me Hundley.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manziel is a splash pick. Better and more ready prospects out there. Wouldn't hate the pick (after rd 1), but there are more pressing needs.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made my thoughts on Manziel pretty clear. I'm with HT on this one

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said think the character issues are overblown- every single one of you hated Cam Newton and are quietly pretending you didn't/waiting for him to fail. And no one remembers/cares but tons of great quarterbacks are/were total D-bags, Jim Kelly for example.

Still, I don't love him as a developmental prospect since I'm not sure the pure arm talent is there. Footwork/mechanics are also an issue. Don't think he makes a whole lot of sense for Dallas.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would absolutely hate it early on. Later on, it may be worth a shot depending on who else is still on the board as a developmental player. Regardless, I just don't see him having significant NFL success. Even if you take away his massive attitude issues, this is a small QB that runs a simplified offense in college and does poorly in the face of pressure. In games of his I watch, I often see him bailing out of a clean pocket early

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't against him before I was before drafting him.

He is dynamic. A 20 year old who could become a folk-hero. His ability to extend plays is great, overall he is mesmerizing to watch. Him and Dez could be a lethal combo.

In the 2nd, I pull the trigger.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that Manziel and Dez could be a lethal combo. Even in the NFL, and even with double coverage, you can only cover a WR so long. With Manziel's ability to extend plays and throw on the run and Dez's ability to make a play, they would give defenses fits.

Let me be a little more succinct about what I alluded to before... Everybody knows that Jerry loves to make a "splash." Drafting Manziel is a cannonball from the 10 meter diving board.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: