You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Projected 53 man Roster -update after game #4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holyghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
holyghost wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
Didnt we only have 7 OL last season?

As for Barsdale they have moved him around and changed schemes on him. He looked good last season when he played. I cant change my opinion of him after one game. Also he has that slight edge of drafted player. Teams can say they dont count that as much as they want but they do.

I havnt seen Schmitt do any blocking that Reese or Gordon couldnt do. If anything I would add a 4th TE over keeping Schmitt. It also makes it less of a surprise with run vs pass when you keep switching out your FB's. If they dont think Reece can block well enough to be a FB they should rename his position. I thought he has done well enough. Certainly not getting much more from Schmitt. I could see if there was pro bowl blocking FB but this guy is most famous for hitting himself. The Eagles kept a couple rookies over him this year that havnt even played.

6 WR's are needed. DHB is the only one we can rely on every week as far as injuries. I dont expect we will see Moore or Ford for a full 16 games. Criner and McGee are more red zone targets. Ford should just be counted as a ST player and not a WR.

But hey this isnt the final edition this is just from one game and back. This does not account for what happens in the next 3-4 weeks.

Regarding Schmidt. He was w/ Knapp in Seattle where he really liked him. I think they want a lead blocker type and a squatty back who can pick up some short yardage.

Edit:

Also, on Barksdale. I don't remember him playing well last season. I remember all the 'he was a great RT at LSU' talk, but never remember seeing any of it. What am I missing?

He blocked well last year when he played and did very well in run blocking. Dont remember him giving up any pressures or sacks. Both in preseason and regular season. I can only report on what I saw with my own eyes in regards to Barksdale. This last game was by far his worst game since he has been on the team.

I think it's pretty clear from the way he hasn't pressed Barnes one bit on the starter position that Barksdale is not much at this point. Regardless it's a stupid conversation to have. Our depth is so thin at OT that he has to be a lock.

Schmitt may not be Pro Bowl but this is a running team that utilizes the fullback. 2 are standard to be kept. So it should be reasonably expected Schmitt will make this team.

6 WRs are not needed. On game day, 3 or 4 will play and be active. Any 6th guy can be on the practice squad, McGee or otherwise, in case of injury. If you're down to the 6th WR getting playing time, it really doesn't matter if it's McGee or not because it's less than ideal to say the least. On an active roster there is absolutely no purpose for a 6th guy, nor does our 6th guy have to be stashed so noone else can get him. Noone's beating down doors to get to McGee.

agree. plus tonga is gone as gone. also gordon was a dam good fb imo last year.

I thought of Gordon and FB. But considering the team is very thin at TE and Myers just got hurt, I can't see them putting the current starting TE at FB much.

As for McGee, same thoughts on it stand. Any 6th wr on this roster can be kept on PS or will be a significant special teams contributor. Not likely to see the field much at WR, if at all unless there are injuries.

It'd not like keeping a 6th WR is an impossible concept, that's not what I mean. I think keeping 6, and 6 CBs, and 7 LBs is an impossible concept while keeping 1 FB and 7 OL. If there are 6 WRs, expect there not to be 6 CBs and 7 LBs. Something has to give there, and on a running team it won't be the 2nd fullback.
And on any team, it won't be 7 OL.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i like owen he reminds me of old skool jon ritchie

i hope gordon gets more reps at TE imo he has very underrated hands.

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:

More like inconsistent. IMO he has shown me a little more than Ausberry at this point, but the reports from camp are that he just needs to catch the ball more consistently. If he does, I think he can be the best TE on our roster because of how good his blocking is.

As it stands now, Myers is far and away the best TE we've got until prven otherwise.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:

More like inconsistent. IMO he has shown me a little more than Ausberry at this point, but the reports from camp are that he just needs to catch the ball more consistently. If he does, I think he can be the best TE on our roster because of how good his blocking is.

As it stands now, Myers is far and away the best TE we've got until prven otherwise.

agree. imo he just needs more reps he rarely was thrown to last year or at mia. but from the little ive seen with myers out and reece at fb gordon should def get a lot of first team reps.

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
holyghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:

Schmitt bears similarities to Ritchie, but only in his manner. Not nearly the player Jon was..

Gordon is inconsistent as the next guy said. But if his blocking is as good as they feel (allen and mck) then he should see the field the most. I definitely wouldn't want to see any significant portion of the offense go through him.
Raidin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Barksdale not get yanked from a game last year because he was so bad? I think he replaced Wiz at RG because he moved into C to replace Satele an then he got light up two plays in a row and was taken out.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
Did Barksdale not get yanked from a game last year because he was so bad? I think he replaced Wiz at RG because he moved into C to replace Satele an then he got light up two plays in a row and was taken out.

Didn't Wiz play LG? I thought Heyer was the backup LG last year?
Raidin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Raidin wrote:

Didn't Wiz play LG? I thought Heyer was the backup LG last year?

Yea sorry meant LG.
holyghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I remember, yes, I think he did get yanked.

I think nothing of the guy's future on the Raiders to be honest. After a year, and he's not even able to remotely threaten the starter in front of him, who's not that good, you gotta ask yourself how much the guy has to suck. I mean.. there hasn't even been a passing mention of actual competition at that spot. Same as Campbell really. I'm well over waiting for these projects to just show up to be great players. Great players flash at some point, or at least show promise or work ethic. There hasn't even been a media mention of improvement from Barksdale. So I think it's safe to say another inheritor or competitor will have to be found for the RT spot. He ain't it, and ain't ever gonna be it.

Anyway, he'll still make the team. The real bad thing is that he is the primary backup at OT.
One the play he gave up a sack in the Dallas game, he didn't get out of his stance or move his feet before the DE was past him. It was a replay of Robert Gallery's worst days.
I saw no redeeming ability there.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed holyghost. I really thought he was going to be our RT by season's end but he hasn't been making any noise at TC and looked like crap last game. Not fair to totally write him off yet, but I honestly can't say I expect much from him any more.

And screw Owen Schmitt. He has a Red Sox tattoo.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally for me we get a better PC TE somehow and then keep Gordon as the blocking FB/TE. Even have Reece, Gordon, Meyers and unknown PC TE in the same set sometimes.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmer
Leinart
Pryor

McFadden
Goodson
Jones
Reece
Schmitt

Heyward-Bey
Moore
Ford
Streater
Criner
McGee

Myers
Ausberry
Gordon

Veldheer
Barnes
Barksdale
Briesel
Carlisle
Bergstrom
Wisniewski
Parsons

Kelly
Seymour
Bilukidi
Shaughnessy
Houston
Tollefson
Bryant
Hamilton
Crawford

McClain
Wheeler
Curry
Burris
Goethel
Ihenacho

Bar tell
Spencer
Van Dyke
Chekwa
Lee

Branch
Huff
Mitchell
Giordano
Boyd

Lechler
Janikowski
Condo
McCann
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Boyd? Shocked
Big Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
^Boyd? Shocked

Lol my bad, I saw 30 playing Safety. Turns out it was Chaz Powell. Liked Boyd on ST's lol
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarterback
Palmer, Leinart, Pryour

Running Back
McFadden, Goodson, Jones

Fullback
Reece, Schmitt

Wide Reciever
Moore, Heyward-Bey, Ford, Streater, Criner, McGee (we carry 6 due to injury concerns IMO)

Tight End
Myers, Gordon, Tory Humphrey, Ausbery

Tackle
Jared Veldheer, Khalif Barnes, Free Agent (i think Reggie will have to get a swing tackle in after the cuts)

Guard
Carlisle, Briesel, Bergstrom

Centre
Wisniewski, Parsons (Parsons scrapes in as he can cover G/C)

Defensive Tackle
Seymour, Kelly, Hamilton, Bryant (Bilikidi to practice squad)

Defensive Ends
Houston, Shaughnessy, Tolefson, Crawford (scrapes in ahead of Bilikidi for his pass rush abilities)

Linebacker
McClain, Curry, Wheeler, Burris, Ihenacho, Goethal (if Curry is out with injury Reggie will pick up a vet after the cuts IMO)

Safety
Huff, Branch, Mitchell, Giordano

Cornerback
Bartell, Spencer, Van Dyke, Lee, Chekwa, Underwood (Underwood covers S/CB and sneaks in)

Special Teams
Janikowski, Lechler, Condo

Couple of suprises i think on the way, maybe Ausbery misses out and another OL like Hurd or Wang make it but i don't think we have seen the last of the bugdet FAs from Reggie yet in an effort to shore up the backups.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: