Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Projected 53 man Roster -update after game #4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Projected 53 man Roster -update after game #4 Reply with quote

After game #4 alot of players made it hard to judge. A couple for good reasons but mostly some for bad reasons. This is only for current players. I fully expect at least 2-3 new guys by the end of next week.

QB
------
Palmer
Leinhart
Pryor

RB
------
McFadden
Goodson
Jones

FB
-----
Reece
Schmidt

TE
-----
Myers
Gordon
Ausberry

WR
-----
DHB
Moore
Streater
Ford
Criner
McGee

OL
-----
Veldheer
Briesel
Wiz
Carlisle
Barnes
Bergstrom
Barksdale
Parsons

DT
------
Seymour
Kelly
Bryant /DE
Bilukidi
Hamilton

DE
------
Houston
Shaugnessey
Tollefson
Crawford

LB
------
McClain
Curry (IR, then comes back in 6 weeks)
Wheeler
Burris
Goethal
Ihenacho
Stupar

SS
-----
Branch
Mitchell

FS
----
Huff
Gio

CB
----
Bartell
Spencer
Lee
DVD
McCann
Underwood

ST
-----
Jano
Lechler
Condo

Last edited by TiberiusRising on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:25 am; edited 4 times in total
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things:

There is not a backup C on the roster and Wiz already has a calf injury. Barksdale is garbage and I would hope we have more than 7 total on the Oline. 2 player in case of injury? That is asking for trouble.

One too many LBs. We don't have to worry about McClain until 2013 unless the NFL steps in. Stupar and Kilgore are both PS types IMO.

Underwood is playing the safety spot if memory serves. 5 CBs should enough.

Just a guess, there are 3-4 roster spots for guys not on the team right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=495523

Sad
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have Ihenacho on the roster over Stupar right now, but Stupar on the PS

Also, Parsons will most likely make the team at backup C or G.

And last but not least, Schmitt makes the team as the true blocking FB IMO.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Couple things:

There is not a backup C on the roster and Wiz already has a calf injury. Barksdale is garbage and I would hope we have more than 7 total on the Oline. 2 player in case of injury? That is asking for trouble.

One too many LBs. We don't have to worry about McClain until 2013 unless the NFL steps in. Stupar and Kilgore are both PS types IMO.

I did want to add one more OL so we will see what happens after the next game. Barksdale had one bad game that I remember(last one) and I can almost gaurentee they will give him a chance. Parsons has always played bad and is a waste of a spot imo.

7 LB's is not a lot for a team trying to run 3-4 formations and one player might be suspended and another player is getting knee treatments in LA. A LB can also contribute much more on ST's than an OL that cant even block.

Also dont forget practice squad. I am sure we will have some OL sitting there in case of injury that can be activated rather quickly.

Ideally a backup OG/OC that is much better than parsons becomes available.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Couple things:

I did want to add one more OL so we will see what happens after the next game. Barksdale had one bad game that I remember(last one) and I can almost gaurentee they will give him a chance. Parsons has always played bad and is a waste of a spot imo.

7 LB's is not a lot for a team trying to run 3-4 formations and one player might be suspended and another player is getting knee treatments in LA. A LB can also contribute much more on ST's than an OL that cant even block.

Also dont forget practice squad. I am sure we will have some OL sitting there in case of injury that can be activated rather quickly.

Ideally a backup OG/OC that is much better than parsons becomes available.

I hear you.

As for Barksdale. If you are going to pile on Parsons, you have to do the same for Barksdale.

Guys has shown no ability to this point. Been a ghost in camp by all accounts and looked down right miserable blocking on Monday night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with the talk on here about 6 WRs, 6 CBs, and 7 LBs.

Your roster has only Reece at FB, but I think it's pretty solid that Schmitt has a spot. Especially on a running team.
Then there's only 7 OL, which I think is a disastrous number to head into a season with.
What exactly will McGee be doing in the 6th wr spot? What possible use can he have on the roster?

These are all a stretch in my mind:

McGee
Kilgore
Stupar
Goethel
McCann
Lee
Underwood
Chekwa

Even Barksdale is, but the depth is so poor on the OL I don't think there's any choice. Hamilton too. It's hard to carry 5 DTs no matter how good he looked right now.

I say Schmitt takes one of those spots. As for the others, there is generally 8 or 9 OL. So one or two more.
The rest make the team on their ST play. Which, if I was to just randomly guess, will be Kilgore, McCann, Lee.

QB
------
Palmer
Leinhart
Pryor

RB
------
McFadden
Goodson
Jones

FB
-----
Reece
Schmitt

TE
-----
Myers
Gordon
Ausberry

WR
-----
DHB
Moore
Streater
Ford
Criner

OL
-----
Veldheer
Briesel
Wiz
Carlisle
Barnes
Bergstrom
Barksdale
Parsons
Wang

DT
------
Seymour
Kelly
Bryant /DE
Bilukidi
Hamilton

DE
------
Houston
Shaugnessey
Tollefson
Crawford

LB
------
McClain
Curry
Wheeler
Burris
Goethal
Kilgore

SS
-----
Branch
Mitchell

FS
----
Huff
Gio

CB
----
Bartell
Spencer
Lee
DVD
McCann

ST
-----
Jano
Lechler
Condo

That's 52, no idea for the last spot. I know Wang and Parsons are nothing special, I just don't think there's any way we go into the season with 7 OL no matter how much they suck. 7 OL is shorthanded as far as the 45 active gameday players go, it's patently absurd as far as being the amount carried on the full 53.

The last 5 guys 49-53 are a guess for any of us. Becuase it's all about either potential, practice filling, or special teams play. Those guys have no immediate use at their actual positions.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way they were using the LB's as DE's the other night, I'm almost certain that Ihenacho will make this team because he can play both positions....Keep sleepin on my boy!

and...

Quote:
Carl Ihenacho

Ihenacho made so many plays on the field in this game that the announcer eventually pronounced his name correctly. He entered the game on defense along with the rest of the second team defense and his first play on the field, he teamed up with Christo Bilukidi for a run stuff at the line. The possession ended with a three and out by the Cowboys. The next series, Ihenacho Libre bulled into the backfield and tackled the running back for a loss despite the offensive lineman being called for holding. After halftime, he had a bit of confusion in coverage with Mike Mitchell that left his man wide open but those kind of kinks are expected from a defense this early in a new scheme. He made up for it later in that same drive when he teamed up with Jamie Cumbie for a tackle for no gain. Ihenacho davita kept it going until the last play when he stopped Cowboys quarterback Stephen McGee on a scramble for a one yard gain to end their day offensively.

TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt we only have 7 OL last season?

As for Barsdale they have moved him around and changed schemes on him. He looked good last season when he played. I cant change my opinion of him after one game. Also he has that slight edge of drafted player. Teams can say they dont count that as much as they want but they do.

I havnt seen Schmitt do any blocking that Reese or Gordon couldnt do. If anything I would add a 4th TE over keeping Schmitt. It also makes it less of a surprise with run vs pass when you keep switching out your FB's. If they dont think Reece can block well enough to be a FB they should rename his position. I thought he has done well enough. Certainly not getting much more from Schmitt. I could see if there was pro bowl blocking FB but this guy is most famous for hitting himself. The Eagles kept a couple rookies over him this year that havnt even played.

6 WR's are needed. DHB is the only one we can rely on every week as far as injuries. I dont expect we will see Moore or Ford for a full 16 games. Criner and McGee are more red zone targets. Ford should just be counted as a ST player and not a WR.

But hey this isnt the final edition this is just from one game and back. This does not account for what happens in the next 3-4 weeks.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:

As for Barsdale they have moved him around and changed schemes on him. He looked good last season when he played. I cant change my opinion of him after one game. Also he has that slight edge of drafted player. Teams can say they dont count that as much as they want but they do.

I havnt seen Schmitt do any blocking that Reese or Gordon couldnt do. If anything I would add a 4th TE over keeping Schmitt. It also makes it less of a surprise with run vs pass when you keep switching out your FB's. If they dont think Reece can block well enough to be a FB they should rename his position. I thought he has done well enough. Certainly not getting much more from Schmitt. I could see if there was pro bowl blocking FB but this guy is most famous for hitting himself. The Eagles kept a couple rookies over him this year that havnt even played.

6 WR's are needed. DHB is the only one we can rely on every week as far as injuries. I dont expect we will see Moore or Ford for a full 16 games. Criner and McGee are more red zone targets. Ford should just be counted as a ST player and not a WR.

But hey this isnt the final edition this is just from one game and back. This does not account for what happens in the next 3-4 weeks.

Regarding Schmidt. He was w/ Knapp in Seattle where he really liked him. I think they want a lead blocker type and a squatty back who can pick up some short yardage.

Edit:

Also, on Barksdale. I don't remember him playing well last season. I remember all the 'he was a great RT at LSU' talk, but never remember seeing any of it. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

Regarding Schmidt. He was w/ Knapp in Seattle where he really liked him. I think they want a lead blocker type and a squatty back who can pick up some short yardage.

Edit:

Also, on Barksdale. I don't remember him playing well last season. I remember all the 'he was a great RT at LSU' talk, but never remember seeing any of it. What am I missing?

He blocked well last year when he played and did very well in run blocking. Dont remember him giving up any pressures or sacks. Both in preseason and regular season. I can only report on what I saw with my own eyes in regards to Barksdale. This last game was by far his worst game since he has been on the team.
holyghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

Edit:

He blocked well last year when he played and did very well in run blocking. Dont remember him giving up any pressures or sacks. Both in preseason and regular season. I can only report on what I saw with my own eyes in regards to Barksdale. This last game was by far his worst game since he has been on the team.

I think it's pretty clear from the way he hasn't pressed Barnes one bit on the starter position that Barksdale is not much at this point. Regardless it's a stupid conversation to have. Our depth is so thin at OT that he has to be a lock.

Schmitt may not be Pro Bowl but this is a running team that utilizes the fullback. 2 are standard to be kept. So it should be reasonably expected Schmitt will make this team.

6 WRs are not needed. On game day, 3 or 4 will play and be active. Any 6th guy can be on the practice squad, McGee or otherwise, in case of injury. If you're down to the 6th WR getting playing time, it really doesn't matter if it's McGee or not because it's less than ideal to say the least. On an active roster there is absolutely no purpose for a 6th guy, nor does our 6th guy have to be stashed so noone else can get him. Noone's beating down doors to get to McGee.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it for what its worth regarding McGee and 6 WR's.

From Paul G.

"Eye on reps -- Receiver Eddie McGee, who missed the exhibition opener with a strained hamstring, was back on the field and getting a lot of work with the second-team offense. He entered camp expecting to compete for a roster spot as the team's sixth receiver."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-oakland-raiders/raiders-talk/Raiders-camp-summary-8-16-Getaway-day-pr?blockID=758191&feedID=7638
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article above...

Quote:
Extra work -- On the heels of his two-drop, muffed-punt performance against the Cowboys, receiver Jacoby Ford was putting in "extra work" with the first-team offense and quarterback Carson Palmer. Ford looked focus going across the middle and hauling in Palmer's passes.

NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

Edit:

I think it's pretty clear from the way he hasn't pressed Barnes one bit on the starter position that Barksdale is not much at this point. Regardless it's a stupid conversation to have. Our depth is so thin at OT that he has to be a lock.

Schmitt may not be Pro Bowl but this is a running team that utilizes the fullback. 2 are standard to be kept. So it should be reasonably expected Schmitt will make this team.

6 WRs are not needed. On game day, 3 or 4 will play and be active. Any 6th guy can be on the practice squad, McGee or otherwise, in case of injury. If you're down to the 6th WR getting playing time, it really doesn't matter if it's McGee or not because it's less than ideal to say the least. On an active roster there is absolutely no purpose for a 6th guy, nor does our 6th guy have to be stashed so noone else can get him. Noone's beating down doors to get to McGee.

agree. plus tonga is gone as gone. also gordon was a dam good fb imo last year.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: