Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois Reply with quote

What can you guys tell me about Illinois senior cornerback Terry Hawthorne?
He seems to have solid size for the position at a reported 6'-0", 190 lbs.

According to NFLDraftScout.com, there is a chance he could get some playing time at wide receiver, but definitely projects better as a cornerback prospect at the next level.

Terry Hawthorne
Position : CB
College : Illinois Fighting Illini
Class : Senior
Height : 6'-0"
Weight : 190 lbs.
40 yard dash : 4.49 (estimated)

Quote:
Illinois' top playmaker isn't on offense or defense, he's on both. Hawthorne, who was an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention pick at cornerback last season, will also see some reps on offense as the Illini attempt to replace first round receiver A.J. Jenkins and his 90 catches from last season.

While NFL scouts will love his willingness to play on both sides of the ball, they'll be looking at him mainly as a cornerback for the next level, a cornerback who has top-50 potential.

An Illinois-native, Hawthorne was a four-star CB/WR recruit out of a high school, choosing the Illini over Oklahoma, Missouri and a host of other scholarship offers.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=89612

Terry Hawthorne to be used at wide receiver in 2012

2011 Statistics

Games played : 13
Solo tackles : 41
Assisted tackles : 19
Total tackles : 60
Tackles for loss : 5
Tackles for loss yardage : 21
Interceptions : 3
Interception return yardage : 39
Interception return touchdowns : 1
Passes broken up : 8
QB hurries : 1
Forced fumbles : 1
Punt returns : 5
Punt return yardage : 37
Punt return average : 7.4

Hawthorne's ability to be used to some extent on offense at wide receiver might prove beneficial in improving his understanding of positioning, angles, and technique by having an opportunity to play with the perspective of a wide receiver. How does he grade overall as a cornerback prospect in 2013? Does he have the overall athleticism at the position to get the attention of scouts?

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
c0insnap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Black Cat since I saw him as a freshman. Think he's going to be a good one.

Beast
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
Love the Black Cat since I saw him as a freshman. Think he's going to be a good one.

After names like (in no particular order) David Amerson, Xavier Rhodes, Jonathan Banks, Justin Gilbert, and Carrington Byndom I think the cornerback position is wide open for a lesser known name to really move up draft boards. Prospects like Johnny Adams and Micah Hyde get mentioned here and there along with Jordan Poyer. I haven't heard much about Hawthorne.

c0insnap, what do you think are his main strengths and weaknesses at this point? What does he need to do this upcoming college season to get mentioned as one of the second-tier cornerbacks behind the first 5 I mentioned?
c0insnap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I think Illinois does a really solid job producing NFL players... high draft picks, too. As for Hawthorne himself, he just has that "IT" factor. He's a cornerback. He looks the part, he's a natural. He's not supremely fast, but he has good speed and outstanding ball skills. Weaknesses, I'd say he's not too physical and looks a little uncomfortable coming up and having to deliver a hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK49Vc0wQ_o

There are actually a few outstanding corners in that conference. Bradley Roby I've mentioned a million times, and of course there's Hyde, Adams and now Hawthorne. The best football player out of all these guys might be Ricardo Allen out of Purdue. When I sit back and actually watch everyone, Allen and Roby jump off the screen. I would rank them:

1a. Roby
1b. Allen
3. Adams
4. Hawthorne
5. Hyde

*Keep in mind that I really, really like ALL five of these players...

Beast
keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll always root for Hawthorne because he is from one of our rival high schools. Dominant on both sides of the ball in HS, and a stud in the secondary for Illini.

I project a 2nd round pick.

My NFL Draft Thread
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
First off, I think Illinois does a really solid job producing NFL players... high draft picks, too. As for Hawthorne himself, he just has that "IT" factor. He's a cornerback. He looks the part, he's a natural. He's not supremely fast, but he has good speed and outstanding ball skills. Weaknesses, I'd say he's not too physical and looks a little uncomfortable coming up and having to deliver a hit.

There are actually a few outstanding corners in that conference. Bradley Roby I've mentioned a million times, and of course there's Hyde, Adams and now Hawthorne. The best football player out of all these guys might be Ricardo Allen out of Purdue. When I sit back and actually watch everyone, Allen and Roby jump off the screen. I would rank them:

1a. Roby
1b. Allen
3. Adams
4. Hawthorne
5. Hyde

Awesome feedback c0insnap - much appreciated! What do you think about Allen and Adams as far as their relative lack of size (mainly bulk)? Do you think that could end up dropping them a bit on draft boards when teams start looking at measurables? Height/Weight measurements off of the internet are pretty approximate, but I have seen Johnny Adams listed at 5'-11", 175 lbs. and Ricardo Allen listed at 5'-9", 176 lbs.
c0insnap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
c0insnap wrote:

1a. Roby
1b. Allen
3. Adams
4. Hawthorne
5. Hyde

Awesome feedback c0insnap - much appreciated! What do you think about Allen and Adams as far as their relative lack of size (mainly bulk)? Do you think that could end up dropping them a bit on draft boards when teams start looking at measurables? Height/Weight measurements off of the internet are pretty approximate, but I have seen Johnny Adams listed at 5'-11", 175 lbs. and Ricardo Allen listed at 5'-9", 176 lbs.

Adams is only 5'11" but he's got some long arms and is fiery as hell. Superior confidence... you gotta love that in a cornerback. Allen is just as fiery but his arms aren't as long. Outstanding in run support, though... I'd liken him to an Antoine Winfield-lite. I think the measureables will be thrown out of the window until combine time, which is always crucial to defensive backs. If these guys can run in the 4.4's and have great triangle numbers I can't see how they'll be no worse than 2nd round picks. Both programs will have scouts looking as they have great prospects other than those two. If they're watching William Gholston, they they'll have no choice but to notice Adams, Denicos Allen (3rd) and Isaiah Lewis (5th). Same with Purdue, who has Kawaan Short (1st) and Dwyane Beckford (4th).

I like Denicos Allen, Dwyane Beckford a lot, FWIW. Allen is fast and hits. Reminds me of Phillip Wheeler when he was at Georgia Tech. Beckford needs to play a little better, but he's going to blow up the combine which is going to get him get looks regardless of production.

Beast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: