Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Game 2- Detroit Lions @ Baltimore Ravens 08/17/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah keep him at Tackle. I think him and Fox will be the LT and RT starting next year for next 5-7 years
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
When he retires I will be very upset if the Lions don't do something extraordinary for him.

Absolutely. He seriously deserves to have his number retired.

IMO this is ludicrous. Regardless of how great he has been and for how long, at the end of the day he is still a kicker. Are there any kickers numbers retired in the NFL? Not only that, but pressure kicks in the playoffs are the most important aspect of kicking. (I should know, I was the kicker for my hs team and we lost by 1. I missed 2 XP and 1 fg and never kicked again). I can't believe Cundiff is still in the equation in BAL...

It would take something extraordinary like a 55 yard fg as time expires to win by 2 in the SB for him to change my mind. I hope that happens Razz

EDIT: my hs game I was referring to was our homecoming game Mad

Sorry but I don't understand your line of thinking.

First off, Hanson should be measured against other kickers not against QB, RB and WR.

He is one of the best to ever play the position and should also be recognized for his longevity and loyalty.

I have never bought into the concept of positional importance. The man can only do what he is asked to do and Hanson has done it at a high level for a very long time.

Don't get me wrong, he should be in the HOF and probably will be on his first ballot. But there is a reason there are no kickers' numbers retired in the NFL. They're.... kickers. Im probably going to get bashed for what im about to say, but as a former kicker and DT, i understand the difference between being a football player and being a kicker. Kicking is important, but all they do is kick a ball (don't give me the "occasional stop" on kick returns rebuke). Having a long career kicking a ball is not impressive to me. His number should not be retired IMO.

I think that since he was one of our only bright spot for years of darkness, some of our older fans are inclined to think highly of him to the point of retiring his number. Im a young man and vaguely remember the Barry days. Don't misunderstand- I do recognise his greatness (as a kicker). At the end of the day, however, he's still a kicker...

I would like to see what some fans outside our fan base think on the discussion.

Poll is at 23-11 in favor of number being retired. 6 of those votes are the HOF/Retire number nature.

I dont agree with HOF yet but still over 2/3 in favor of it being retired

Bro, you need to let me have your sig Very Happy

Said the day after the Thanksgiving game.
Big Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
He basically wants to throw him to the wolves from day 1. That is recipe for disaster 101.

In all fairness, I think he"s only saying he'd like to see more of RR at LT. Backus is going to start so throwing RR to the wolves is clearly not what he is suggesting. I suspect RR is playing on the right side because that's where he is most likely to start. Backus, Sims, DR, Rieff, and Cherllus could start the season. I would be happy with this OL.
ya..im not talking about him starting at LT. im saying when the 2nd team comes in his time/development should be at LT. they drafted him for that purpose. why waste the time on fox now? and like someone said he played fine the 1st ps game why change it. if they think hes not ready for LT fine but this is ps, he needs the time ther.[/quote]

That's not my quote. I responded to the quote, which is what you captured in your second paragraph.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
Don't get me wrong, he should be in the HOF and probably will be on his first ballot. But there is a reason there are no kickers' numbers retired in the NFL. They're.... kickers. Im probably going to get bashed for what im about to say, but as a former kicker and DT, i understand the difference between being a football player and being a kicker. Kicking is important, but all they do is kick a ball (don't give me the "occasional stop" on kick returns rebuke). Having a long career kicking a ball is not impressive to me. His number should not be retired IMO.

I think that since he was one of our only bright spot for years of darkness, some of our older fans are inclined to think highly of him to the point of retiring his number. Im a young man and vaguely remember the Barry days. Don't misunderstand- I do recognise his greatness (as a kicker). At the end of the day, however, he's still a kicker...

I would like to see what some fans outside our fan base think on the discussion.

You've got to be insane if you think that Jason Hanson is going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, let alone on his first-ballot. Getting your number retired by a franchise is a much less-exclusive honor than being enshrined in Canton. There's a reason there's only one kicker in the Hall of Fame--it's not because kickers are useless, but because a lot of them play until they're 40 like Hanson has and rack up a ton of points.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

You've got to be insane if you think that Jason Hanson is going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, let alone on his first-ballot. Getting your number retired by a franchise is a much less-exclusive honor than being enshrined in Canton. There's a reason there's only one kicker in the Hall of Fame--it's not because kickers are useless, but because a lot of them play until they're 40 like Hanson has and rack up a ton of points.

Yeah, my previous thought was that the HOF was less of an honor than getting your number retired. After hearing other thoughts on the topic, I have changed my tune.

I still don't think we should retire his number though, but.that is subject to change.

Said the day after the Thanksgiving game.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
When he retires I will be very upset if the Lions don't do something extraordinary for him.

Absolutely. He seriously deserves to have his number retired.

IMO this is ludicrous. Regardless of how great he has been and for how long, at the end of the day he is still a kicker. Are there any kickers numbers retired in the NFL? Not only that, but pressure kicks in the playoffs are the most important aspect of kicking. (I should know, I was the kicker for my hs team and we lost by 1. I missed 2 XP and 1 fg and never kicked again). I can't believe Cundiff is still in the equation in BAL...

It would take something extraordinary like a 55 yard fg as time expires to win by 2 in the SB for him to change my mind. I hope that happens Razz

EDIT: my hs game I was referring to was our homecoming game Mad

Sorry but I don't understand your line of thinking.

First off, Hanson should be measured against other kickers not against QB, RB and WR.

He is one of the best to ever play the position and should also be recognized for his longevity and loyalty.

I have never bought into the concept of positional importance. The man can only do what he is asked to do and Hanson has done it at a high level for a very long time.

Poll is at 23-11 in favor of number being retired. 6 of those votes are the HOF/Retire number nature.

I dont agree with HOF yet but still over 2/3 in favor of it being retired

Bro, you need to let me have your sig Very Happy

Well I started sporting this sig Aug 28th 2011 so I think you are the copycat Wink

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

Yeah, my previous thought was that the HOF was less of an honor than getting your number retired. After hearing other thoughts on the topic, I have changed my tune.

I still don't think we should retire his number though, but.that is subject to change.

I doubt they will. There are only a handful of retired numbers (7 Dutch Clark, 20 Barry Sanders, 22 Bobby Layne, 37 Doak Walker, 56 Joe Schmidt, 85 Chuck Hughes). There are several guys in the Hall of Fame whose numbers aren't retired, so I guess from that perspective, you're correct that having one's number retired is a little more exclusive. But having one's number retired is just an honor from one's franchise, whereas the HoF is a league-wide achievement. You can retire a guy's number just because he's been so good for 20 years the way Hanson has been.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

I doubt they will. There are only a handful of retired numbers (7 Dutch Clark, 20 Barry Sanders, 22 Bobby Layne, 37 Doak Walker, 56 Joe Schmidt, 85 Chuck Hughes). There are several guys in the Hall of Fame whose numbers aren't retired, so I guess from that perspective, you're correct that having one's number retired is a little more exclusive. But having one's number retired is just an honor from one's franchise, whereas the HoF is a league-wide achievement. You can retire a guy's number just because he's been so good for 20 years the way Hanson has been.

I think we now don't technically retire numbers, but place people in the ring of honor around the stadium. And IMO Hanson definitely deserves that. And as for kickers playing this long, it's not a normal thing. Morten and Gary Anderson did, and they are now 1 and 2 in all time points scored, and both likely will be hall of farmers. When eligible or shortly after. Hanson will likely finish third and the difference between he and the Anderson's is he did it all for the same team. That shows consistency and durability because that's what made the Andrsons move around later in their careers. I doubt Hanson is a first ballot HOFer but he is a very likely candidate within 10 years of his career ending.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

I never thought HOF was less of honor. Heck some people get their number retired for odd reasons. There are a ton of guys with numbers retired who are not in the HOF

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Cat wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
He basically wants to throw him to the wolves from day 1. That is recipe for disaster 101.

In all fairness, I think he"s only saying he'd like to see more of RR at LT. Backus is going to start so throwing RR to the wolves is clearly not what he is suggesting. I suspect RR is playing on the right side because that's where he is most likely to start. Backus, Sims, DR, Rieff, and Cherllus could start the season. I would be happy with this OL.
ya..im not talking about him starting at LT. im saying when the 2nd team comes in his time/development should be at LT. they drafted him for that purpose. why waste the time on fox now? and like someone said he played fine the 1st ps game why change it. if they think hes not ready for LT fine but this is ps, he needs the time ther.

That's not my quote. I responded to the quote, which is what you captured in your second paragraph.[/quote]ya,idk how that got screwed up. but i knew which one you wrote.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: