Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

"Rams to forego playing in London next 2 years"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D9-EM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: "Rams to forego playing in London next 2 years" Reply with quote

http://www.kmov.com/sports/Rams-to-forego-playing-in-London-next-2-years-166005136.html

Applause Applause Applause Applause

This is great news for St. Louis fans.

Quote:
The St. Louis Rams will forego playing a home game in London over the next two years to refocus its efforts to upgrade the Edward Jones Dome, Rams CFO Kevin Demoff said Monday.

Last edited by D9-EM on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goood... We suck too much to be losing home games.

3 years sounds perfect. At least put a good product on the field.

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god. Taking away home games is not what we need right now.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
yrba1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, no need to give up a home game for some publicity stunt for the next 2 years.
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish this would have happened 10-12 years during the GSOT era, that team would have been a huge hit overseas with how fun they were to watch. But hey, I'll take it. Hopefully by then this team will have an identity as a smash-mouth defense.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
tim199009

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if this is good for you guys out in st louis. I heard some speculation from the PTI guys that this move may have something to do with LA. But then again its just speculation

Kanye West= the GOAT
CalifornianRam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i hope it all ends with us moving to LA. im tired of having to drive five hours to frisco to watch them get killed.
D9-EM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
i dont know if this is good for you guys out in st louis. I heard some speculation from the PTI guys that this move may have something to do with LA. But then again its just speculation

lol didn't you hear? Every move the Rams make has "something to do with LA". Including correcting this mistake. This is nothing but good for St. Louis & The Rams.
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call off the party and call off the LA talks:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-drop-plans-play-london-193418969--nfl.html

Quote:
- The St. Louis Rams are dropping plans to play home games in London in 2013 and 2014, citing a need to focus on improvements to their stadium.

The Rams said Monday that they will go ahead with plans to use a home game to play the New England Patriots at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 28 while withdrawing their commitment for home games in London the following two seasons.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:

Quote:
- The St. Louis Rams are dropping plans to play home games in London in 2013 and 2014, citing a need to focus on improvements to their stadium.

The Rams said Monday that they will go ahead with plans to use a home game to play the New England Patriots at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 28 while withdrawing their commitment for home games in London the following two seasons.
I hope your right, but I don't see how not playing in London assures anything. Why would this stop them from moving to LA?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Ramsfan28 wrote:

Quote:

I hope your right, but I don't see how not playing in London assures anything. Why would this stop them from moving to LA?

Would you move your franchise to LA after dropping tons of cash fixing a stadium at your current location?

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Ramsfan28 wrote:

Quote:

Would you move your franchise to LA after dropping tons of cash fixing a stadium at your current location?
To be honest, it's already been known they want to make the Dome into a "first tier" stadium. Even before the Rams agreed to go to London.

I just don't get what's changed between now and then. And still don't get what not going to London has to do with moving to LA.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Ramsfan28 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Ramsfan28 wrote:

Quote:

To be honest, it's already been known they want to make the Dome into a "first tier" stadium. Even before the Rams agreed to go to London.

I just don't get what's changed between now and then. And still don't get what not going to London has to do with moving to LA.

Nothing has changed on paper, but this move shows me that they are intent on renovating the stadium (i.e. what they needed to get done to keep the team in STL). This is their way of saying that they want to stick around to see the dome get loud and full of fans again like it was 10 years ago and that they're not too concerned with displaying the team name elsewhere.

I'm normally not one to buy into "signs" or saying "I have a feeling that..." but I really do buy what's going on in my mind. I can't guarantee anything, but in my opinion if the franchise owners really didn't care about keeping the team in STL, they would do the bare minimum of what was required renovation wise and spend the fewest dollars possible just to get by until the LA opportunity landed in their lap. This move shows a much more aggressive intent on keeping the team in the Lou, and a total lack of lethargy.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were never going to play in London 3 years in a row. I said it then, and its obvious now. It was a ploy by Kroenke. It was a move to gain leverage, to get himself a bargaining chip, and even though we dont like to say it this way, it was a threat to the City of St Louis. Not a malicious threat, but more of a wakeup call, saying "Hey, I can move this thing, Im not messing around so get your act together"

So now Stan has played the first hand, he "conceded" on this to get the ball rolling. Its very much like what we saw with the Lockout, there will be alot of things being asked for and demanded that they will be boisterous about, then suddenly let the other side have that and pretend to be the bigger man, just in order to get something they want more later on.

Did any of you pay attention to the Minnesota situation? It took forever, but that was also the same time as the city getting a new baseball stadium, so it complicated things.

This move has absolutely ZERO to do with LA, and we arent moving there. Thats Stan's ultimate trump card that he can play when he eventually really wants something, and we will hear it come up in this process, but its all empty threats. No one has ever been able to refute this part of the argument: Stan Kroenke bought 40% of the franchise just to bring them from LA to St Louis, he isnt going to finally get 100% and then move them back to LA.

I still think the endgame for Stan is to move the Team out to the county. To set up the Stadium He wants, to have big conventions, concerts, and most of all Soccer matches on Top of the 10 Rams games per year. As for now he is trying to get a number that he will have to pay the City to let him do that, and what conditions/royalties he will have to pay once he does.
JAD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:

The CVC were very adamant that they did not like the commitment to London. The CVC sent out their proposal and then the Rams committed to cutting one home game a year for the next three years. These negotiations are about a balance of where money is coming from. The city is going to contribute money, and they (rightfully) feel that if they are going to contribute 100s of millions of dollars, that the Rams should have a full 8 game season here and that the commitment to London was counterproductive to the purpose of the negotiations.

I agree with the decision to drop the commitment past 2012, but I certainly hope that they explore renewing some sort of commitment to play in London in the future wants the stadium negotiations are done.

I really don't see why so many fans were against this. Obviously there is the perceived disadvantage by only having home field advantage for 7 games, but you haven't really heard teams complain about the effect the game has on their season. The Patriots loved it. And not to call anyone out, but I've read the gameday threads on this forum for years. I would say less than 10% of the contributors to this forum actually go to games semi-regularly. I can't name one single season ticket holder amongst us (not saying there aren't any, obviously some just don't announce it). If you aren't going to the games, why do you care where they are played? The London game is always televised, which is the majority if us' method for watching the Rams.

I fully agree that, for the purpose of negotiations, the commitment should be dropped. But I also recognize this was a great business opportunity for Stan Kroenke and the Rams and could provide a real solid platform for exposure. Disappointed this didn't work out.

StLunatic88 wrote:
It was a ploy by Kroenke. It was a move to gain leverage, to get himself a bargaining chip, and even though we dont like to say it this way, it was a threat to the City of St Louis. Not a malicious threat, but more of a wakeup call, saying "Hey, I can move this thing, Im not messing around so get your act together"

A very good point as well.

And I also agree about Kroenke's potential interest in the UK market. If the NFL does expand over the pond in the future, why not put one of your most valuable and powerful owners who ALSO owns a football team over there (Arsenal)? Playing the Rams overseas allows Kroenke to show off Kroenke Sports Enterprises to potential investors and could help get the ball rolling on stadium funding, relocation fees, etc..

Bjoern Werner Tunes Up for Senior Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: