Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

"Rams to forego playing in London next 2 years"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAD wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

I just don't get what's changed between now and then. And still don't get what not going to London has to do with moving to LA.

The CVC were very adamant that they did not like the commitment to London. The CVC sent out their proposal and then the Rams committed to cutting one home game a year for the next three years. These negotiations are about a balance of where money is coming from. The city is going to contribute money, and they (rightfully) feel that if they are going to contribute 100s of millions of dollars, that the Rams should have a full 8 game season here and that the commitment to London was counterproductive to the purpose of the negotiations.

I agree with the decision to drop the commitment past 2012, but I certainly hope that they explore renewing some sort of commitment to play in London in the future wants the stadium negotiations are done.

I really don't see why so many fans were against this. Obviously there is the perceived disadvantage by only having home field advantage for 7 games, but you haven't really heard teams complain about the effect the game has on their season. The Patriots loved it. And not to call anyone out, but I've read the gameday threads on this forum for years. I would say less than 10% of the contributors to this forum actually go to games semi-regularly. I can't name one single season ticket holder amongst us (not saying there aren't any, obviously some just don't announce it). If you aren't going to the games, why do you care where they are played? The London game is always televised, which is the majority if us' method for watching the Rams.

I fully agree that, for the purpose of negotiations, the commitment should be dropped. But I also recognize this was a great business opportunity for Stan Kroenke and the Rams and could provide a real solid platform for exposure. Disappointed this didn't work out.

StLunatic88 wrote:
It was a ploy by Kroenke. It was a move to gain leverage, to get himself a bargaining chip, and even though we dont like to say it this way, it was a threat to the City of St Louis. Not a malicious threat, but more of a wakeup call, saying "Hey, I can move this thing, Im not messing around so get your act together"

A very good point as well.

And I also agree about Kroenke's potential interest in the UK market. If the NFL does expand over the pond in the future, why not put one of your most valuable and powerful owners who ALSO owns a football team over there (Arsenal)? Playing the Rams overseas allows Kroenke to show off Kroenke Sports Enterprises to potential investors and could help get the ball rolling on stadium funding, relocation fees, etc..

The reason I stopped going to the games is because that dome is retarded. There is no real tailgating to be done, no where to park, the inside is sterile and everything still costs twice as much as at the baseball stadium. I can watch it at home, more intently, and with much less hassle.

What I'm getting at is what Lunatic just posted and what I've cried for all along; a stadium outside of the city limits of Saint Louis. As I've brought u many times- the old chrysler plant at 44 and Bowles, and also the current location of Verizon Wireless Concert theatre stand out as possibilities.

When the Rams originally moved here, they entered negotiations to purchase the Verizon location, and our owner is currently investigating the Chrysler plant.

A dark horse candidate is the land that Gateway Motor Speedway currently stands on. (Across the river from downtown STL).

No way he keeps that dome for more than a few more years. This is a world class sports franchise owner we are talking about here. He will want a world class sporting complex.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
No way he keeps that dome for more than a few more years. This is a world class sports franchise owner we are talking about here. He will want a world class sporting complex.

BINGO. This guy gets it.

We can play out this lease, and then go year to year in the dome until the construction of the new Stadium and the entire surrounding area is built and ready to go. None of this "play at Faurot Field or Busch Stadium" crap that just started floating out there.
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure KIG has season tickets, not 100%. Still, I think playing in London was a bad idea. The fan base isn't strong now and one less game at home. If I was a STH, I'd be pretty pissed.

Like others have said, Silent Stan wants a new stadium, and he will get one, it will just take time.

Apparently Mizzou didn't even know about the Rams possibly playing there.

This team isn't leaving the city and the only people that think they are moving back to LA are LA fans.

El Ramster on this beaut!
D9-EM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

BINGO. This guy gets it.

We can play out this lease, and then go year to year in the dome until the construction of the new Stadium and the entire surrounding area is built and ready to go. None of this "play at Faurot Field or Busch Stadium" crap that just started floating out there.

Okay wait, Are you talking about the "2015 escape clause" or actually playing out the entire lease?

I would LOVE to see the Rams head to the county. However, St. Louis still owes plenty of money on the Rams current venue. So if they move out of the dome(2015), you can count the taxpayers out.

If they stay, the dome upgrades will undoubtedly cost hundreds of millions of taxpayers dollars. I have to assume that it would come with a new lease or at least an extension.

Hopefully I'm wrong here but, as much as I would love to see them in Fenton or St. Charles (Hell, even the speedway), I just don't see a way out of the dome anytime soon... What am I missing?
JAD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:

The reason I stopped going to the games is because that dome is retarded. There is no real tailgating to be done, no where to park, the inside is sterile and everything still costs twice as much as at the baseball stadium. I can watch it at home, more intently, and with much less hassle.

What I'm getting at is what Lunatic just posted and what I've cried for all along; a stadium outside of the city limits of Saint Louis. As I've brought u many times- the old chrysler plant at 44 and Bowles, and also the current location of Verizon Wireless Concert theatre stand out as possibilities.

When the Rams originally moved here, they entered negotiations to purchase the Verizon location, and our owner is currently investigating the Chrysler plant.

A dark horse candidate is the land that Gateway Motor Speedway currently stands on. (Across the river from downtown STL).

I couldn't agree more with you about the dome. It is the single worst sports venue I've ever been to. I remember when I finally went to my first Rams game just being so disappointed. It felt like the game was being played underground. And I'll never forget that after the Rams left the field and fans were shown out, I turned around to look at the field and they were setting up for a semi-pro lacrosse game. Kind of takes away from the feel of the NFL stadium when Semi-pro lacrosse is walking on as the coaches are shaking hands. Made it feel like the Rams were just the opening act of the day.

Im excited hearing about all the spots they are looking at. I can't see any self-respecting sports owner being satisfied with his crown jewel playing in a stadium like the dome.

Bjoern Werner Tunes Up for Senior Season
CalifornianRam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the lease runs up they can look any where to play even L.A. the only question is will there still be enough support to keep them here and pay 50 million in tax payer dollars for renovations? would the city want to pay that much? the city is already in debt to the team.
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifornianRam wrote:
if the lease runs up they can look any where to play even L.A. the only question is will there still be enough support to keep them here and pay 50 million in tax payer dollars for renovations? would the city want to pay that much? the city is already in debt to the team.

There would be support the first couple years, but if they start losing like they have in St. Louis the last 5 years or so, it'd be a ghost town.

The NFL doesn't need to go to LA. LA is just leverage for teams trying to get more $$ from the cities for their stadiums.

El Ramster on this beaut!
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesfreak74 wrote:
CalifornianRam wrote:

There would be support the first couple years, but if they start losing like they have in St. Louis the last 5 years or so, it'd be a ghost town.

The NFL doesn't need to go to LA. LA is just leverage for teams trying to get more $$ from the cities for their stadiums.
I still think the NFL goes to San Antonio before they go back to L.A.
mash3rramfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesfreak74 wrote:
CalifornianRam wrote:

The NFL needs to go to LA. it is the second biggest TV market and there is no professional team. Its time for an NFL team to return to LA

Rams. Oregon Ducks. Dodgers. Brewers. Lakers. Arsenal
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash3rramfan wrote:
bluesfreak74 wrote:
CalifornianRam wrote:

The NFL needs to go to LA. it is the second biggest TV market and there is no professional team. Its time for an NFL team to return to LA
This is the dumbest argument. Everyone there who wants to watch football, is already watching football.

The next spot for a Team is going to be a place that can draw the Fanbase, not saying LA cant do that, because they will to start off.

The question with LA always is will they support it when they arent shiny and new? When they arent going to the playoffs every year, when they go 15 wins in 5 years?

Because St Louis has done that, LA has the history of turning on the team and losing interest in them
Flounch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad, i live in France and i were happy to see the Rams in London during 3 years......
chris00cm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flounch wrote:
It's sad, i live in France and i were happy to see the Rams in London during 3 years......
Have fun with the Jaguars Laughing

They could use some more passengers on the Blaine Train.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
Flounch wrote:
Have fun with the Jaguars Laughing

They could use some more passengers on the Blaine Train.
Departing the Jacksonville station, Next stop...London, Final destination...San Antonio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: