Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech Reply with quote

Is there any reason to think that right now at this point in time Marcus Davis doesn't project as a top 15 prospect at the wide receiver position for the upcoming NFL draft?

Obviously this question doesn't intend to include the variables of injuries, poor performance, etc. which are all variables that impact prospects to one extent or the other.

Basically I am looking to discuss what Davis brings to the table as a wide receiver in comparison with the other projected prospects (underclassmen included) at the position?

Obviously reports of measurables at this point in time or subjective but does make for interesting discussion :

Quote:
2012 College Football Freaks List: 7. Marcus Davis, Va. Tech, WR: The Hokies have produced more than their share of jaw-dropping 40 times in recent years, and they've done so again. Still, even the most skeptical would come away impressed with Davis, a 6-4, 228-pound former QB-turned-wideout, who set a VT record with a 44-inch vertical to go along with a 4.37 40

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=82395

The fact that Davis is a former quarterback turned wideout IMO is an interesting point when you consider the positive that could be when it comes to understanding his development.

All things considered, my questions are :

Why isn't Davis being discussed more when talking about the top WR prospects in 2013?

Is there any reason that Davis doesn't project as a top prospect at the position?

If you don't view him as a top prospect and potential top 15 pick come draft time, what are you looking for from him this upcoming college season to cause you to re-evaluate him as a prospect?

TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis and Logan Thomas should ball out this year. IIRC from the V-Tech games I watched last year Davis looked good but dropped some balls I would expect a top WR prospect to make. I could be mis-remembering but I thought that was him...
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Davis and Logan Thomas should ball out this year. IIRC from the V-Tech games I watched last year Davis looked good but dropped some balls I would expect a top WR prospect to make. I could be mis-remembering but I thought that was him...

TV,
I would definitely agree with you. The expectations for Thomas and Davis SHOULD be very high. That being said, and I am not inferring you are stating this, I don't necessarily see Davis' stock tied with Thomas' performance. If Thomas regresses or fails to take the next step from a progress standpoint, I would say Davis could still improve his stock provided he shows improvement in the characteristics that are evaluated specific to his position - ex. route running, hand/eye coordination, concentration, etc. If Davis can show improvement in those areas along with maintaining his projected elite measurables, I think Davis could still be viewed as an elite prospect even if Thomas struggles more than expected.

I guess I just read over and over about the underclassmen at the position. And while there is alot of top-tier talent, I just don't understand the overall abscence of Davis in any discussions about the top WR prospects for 2013. And while nfldraftscout isn't the all-knowing authority, I am amazed they have him ranked 38th ranked SENIOR wide receiver!!!
draft_fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have him as a second rounder as of right now. He is still adjusting to the game and needs to work on his hands and route running. Also, I don't think he runs a 4.37, more like a mid-high 4.4 (which is still amazing for a guy his size).

With a good season and a good combine, he could easily make the top 15 though.

bucs99 wrote:
Keep McIntyre just call him "The Diddler"
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draft_fanatic wrote:
I have him as a second rounder as of right now. He is still adjusting to the game and needs to work on his hands and route running. Also, I don't think he runs a 4.37, more like a mid-high 4.4 (which is still amazing for a guy his size).

With a good season and a good combine, he could easily make the top 15 though.

I agree with you. sub 4.4 in the 40 might be wishful thinking with a mid 4.4 more likely as you mentioned. If he can run in the mid 4.40's with impressive burst as was indicated in the nfldraftscout quote, along with technical improvements and some productivity increase, I think we might be talking about a high top 15 pick.

edit : I forgot to comment on your mention of continued adjustment to the game. That is the interesting part. I would think there is a good chance that his transition from quarterback to wide receiver could help him when it comes to the technical understanding of route running, etc. once he gets more comfortable. And the transition could buy him something in the eyes of the scouts as well as he still has huge upside combined with general lack of experience at the position.
norcalgsr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a "Marcus Davis" in last year's draft.

6-5, 229
4.39 40, 1.5 10-yard
43" vertical
10-08 broadjump
6.78 3-cone
19 reps

His name is Lamont Bryant.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=104687&draftyear=2012&genpos=TE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn04xezWSME&feature=youtu.be
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You doesn't want him. He's the "dontari poe" of wide receivers this year. Teams will draft him solely based on potential. He's always have been the bigger guy on team and rely on his athleticism all the time.

I know this for sure; he's not nfl-ready at all. Very soft. I fought him in a practice once, back then I was only 5'10" and 175 lbs kid, he was about same size and I looked down, there he was lying on ground yelling.

In va tech where the system benefit speedsters a lot, he didn't produced. Enough said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: