Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason, Week 2: VIKINGS (0-1) vs Bills (0-1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 72819
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's all be nice. daddy hates it when his boys fight.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 4754
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TearsOfPurple wrote:
just comes to me as people who didn't support the pick are intentionally trying to stir up controversy. But it might just be me.


I dont think its controversy.
We have Kalil, we want him to be relatively elite at his position (top 5 eventually). I think many think he would have been more ahead of the curve right now.

Mental errors are particularlly frustrating, and we just want him to play to the whistle.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 72819
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Mental errors are particularlly frustrating, and we just want him to play to the whistle.

agreed. but i also think he'll be watching a lot of tape this week and have a lot of coaches in his ear.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TearsOfPurple wrote:
I'm not biased, I personally cared less about who we drafted. Kalil is gonna be an great cornerstone, but so would of Claiborne/Blackmon. It just comes to me as people who didn't support the pick are intentionally trying to stir up controversy. But it might just be me.


I can honestly say I think you have it all wrong. Anyone who has seen the tape who isn't intentionally trying to hold up a flameshield for Kalil should be able to clearly see he has been worse than advertised so far and doesn't appear to be quite as plug-and-play pro-ready as he was touted to be. I don't know if I can say he will be a "great cornerstone," but I am certainly still rooting for him, as I said earlier. CriminalMind did a good job pointing out the flaws that were apparent, so I second his post, as well. On top of that, I also agree with vike daddy; I think they'll be doing a lot of tape review and, if the coaches are worth anything at all, they will let Kalil have it because he deserves to be chewed out some for his miscues. It goes without saying that I want him to become a fantastic player for us but I do not see any point in sugarcoating things along the way.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 5998
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:

I can honestly say I think you have it all wrong. Anyone who has seen the tape who isn't intentionally trying to hold up a flameshield for Kalil should be able to clearly see he has been worse than advertised so far and doesn't appear to be quite as plug-and-play pro-ready as he was touted to be.


Even though I was in favour of taking Claiborne with the #3 pick I am OK with the Kalil selection. Left Tackles are so hard to find outside the Top 10 in the Draft, Kalil doesn't need to be particularly great to justify the pick.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6417
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had a few plays that he'll have to fix, but I wouldnt say he's been bad. O expect a rookie to never make a mistake is foolish. The real test will be how he responds to making those mental errors.

Yeah, I put him on my negatives this week, but it was hard for me to find three guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TearsOfPurple


Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 609
Location: Mankato, Minnesota
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that makes more sense. Sorry, I'm just sick of the negativity that surrounds the Vikings by our posters here at times Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freakout


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 2801
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gripe this preseason and training camp is that all we hear from Fraizer and Williams is about making young guys earn their position. Then why is Brinkley being handed the starting MLB position on a silver platter?

Both Mckenzie and Cole are outplaying him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 13858
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we may be putting way too much thought into these preseason games.

Christian Ponder is playing very well right now, but when the pressure of the regular season starts up, where we aren't playing a Vanilla offense/playing against Vanilla defenses, will he show up? Will he stand by his words, and perform well.

So far, Matt Kalil hasn't been this all dominating force that we so badly want. But its only 2 games for him. How will he respond? Can he watch the tapes, and talk to the coaches, understand his errors, and get better?

Its the preseason, and its like looking into a dirty mirror. While you may kinda know how things are looking, you still don't get the entire picture.
_________________

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TearsOfPurple wrote:
Ok, that makes more sense. Sorry, I'm just sick of the negativity that surrounds the Vikings by our posters here at times Sad


I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, I am not really keen on squashing out some creeping negativity altogether because then the forum truly loses its purpose. The best of discussions allow for both the good and the bad sides to be weighed. If you want others to understand your preference for optimism, why should you not understand their time-to-time pessimism? Fans of the team make positive and negative remarks because that's precisely who they are - fans. Fans that want to see our team thrive, fans that gush positivity when things appear to be headed in the right direction and sometimes favor negativity when things appear to be headed in the wrong one - and plenty of compelling arguments have been made that the team is headed backward rather than forward (particularly concerning the coaching staff and unsure QB situation). I really believe one has to be even-handed about how one receives the board's postings, and it cannot be all that surprising that there is some legitimate negativity brewing given that our team, one relatively used to success, is coming off an abysmal season. I really don't see anyone stepping out of bounds here, so to speak. I feel like this thread has not gone awry like a few have recently.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freakout


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 2801
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I think we may be putting way too much thought into these preseason games.

Christian Ponder is playing very well right now, but when the pressure of the regular season starts up, where we aren't playing a Vanilla offense/playing against Vanilla defenses, will he show up? Will he stand by his words, and perform well.

So far, Matt Kalil hasn't been this all dominating force that we so badly want. But its only 2 games for him. How will he respond? Can he watch the tapes, and talk to the coaches, understand his errors, and get better?

Its the preseason, and its like looking into a dirty mirror. While you may kinda know how things are looking, you still don't get the entire picture.


Kalil has actually done a good job.

The Kyle Williams sack wasn't even his fault unless he was expected to switch off his man. Kalil pushed the DE over toward Charlie Johnson who had Kyle Williams. Williams used Kalil and the DE as a screen to free himself of Johnson. If anyone is at fault there it is Charlie's for not sliding over and picking him up.

The only bad play really was the flea flicker. When you watch Kalil he isn't some road block. He moves his feet and pushes his guy up field. He was doing the same on that play.

A few times the DE came off Kalil when Ponder scrambled but Kalil cannot really stop that unless you expect him to get a holding penalty.

He played much better against Buffalo than he did San Francisco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SerenityNow!


Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Posts: 49
Location: Twin Cities
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there are some things that Kalil needs to improve but that is what the preseason is for right. One thing I found really impressive was that on the long catch and run by Jerome Simpson, Kalil was the closest person to him when he got tackled. That level of hustle to run down the field to try and extend a play would never have been seen out of McKinnie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZUj5XznMf0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 4754
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
My gripe this preseason and training camp is that all we hear from Fraizer and Williams is about making young guys earn their position. Then why is Brinkley being handed the starting MLB position on a silver platter?

Both Mckenzie and Cole are outplaying him.


Brinkley played a lot more reps then other starter LBs in this game.
That indicates a bit to me that coaches wants to see him in game to still evaluate him (along with getting him additional reps).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47529
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Freakout wrote:
My gripe this preseason and training camp is that all we hear from Fraizer and Williams is about making young guys earn their position. Then why is Brinkley being handed the starting MLB position on a silver platter?

Both Mckenzie and Cole are outplaying him.


Brinkley played a lot more reps then other starter LBs in this game.
That indicates a bit to me that coaches wants to see him in game to still evaluate him (along with getting him additional reps).


considering Brinkley hasnt played much the past year, he could use all the reps to get back into it as he can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6417
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
My gripe this preseason and training camp is that all we hear from Fraizer and Williams is about making young guys earn their position. Then why is Brinkley being handed the starting MLB position on a silver platter?

Both Mckenzie and Cole are outplaying him.


Brinkley is the veteran at MLB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group