Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Does anyone else think Bill Bentley will be great?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Does anyone else think Bill Bentley will be great? Reply with quote

This may be a bit premature after only one preseason game, and maybe a bit of wishful thinking... but seeing how great his anticipation is, and his quickness, he has the tools to be great. He won a starting job out of camp, which speaks volumes to his skillset. I could see him getting 5-6 picks this year. Out of all of our picks, he is the one I'm the most excited about. Can't wait for a few years down the road when he puts on 10-15 lbs of muscle Shocked

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about one thing for sure... talk like that is extremely premature.

He made a few good plays in the first Pre-Season game, but he also made a couple of mistakes. He has a long way to go, and the Browns (no offense to their fans) aren't exactly top competition. Lets see him shut down the Packers WR's, or match up 1 on 1 with some of the better #2's in the league before we get too ahead of ourselves. Also, if Berry wasn't cut... would he really be starting? Maybe. But, right now he's kind of the #2 guy by default so we really need to take a wait and see approach.

I certainly hope he will one day become great, but he has to take it one game at a time and continue to work hard. I hope so though. The Lions have lacked a good defensive backfield for pretty much my entire life.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw flashes from him (the burst and insticts) that are extremely impressive in a young player.

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
I think you're right about one thing for sure... talk like that is extremely premature.

He made a few good plays in the first Pre-Season game, but he also made a couple of mistakes. He has a long way to go, and the Browns (no offense to their fans) aren't exactly top competition. Lets see him shut down the Packers WR's, or match up 1 on 1 with some of the better #2's in the league before we get too ahead of ourselves. Also, if Berry wasn't cut... would he really be starting? Maybe. But, right now he's kind of the #2 guy by default so we really need to take a wait and see approach.

I certainly hope he will one day become great, but he has to take it one game at a time and continue to work hard. I hope so though. The Lions have lacked a good defensive backfield for pretty much my entire life.

Greg Little is no scrub. You are right though, it is premature. Im not saying he will be a stud this year or anything, but just watching him play, the kid knows how to play the position. I was extremely impressed in what i saw today, and he is only going to get better

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he can be great. According to reports from training camp he holds a high standard for himself and works to be the best possible every second. He has great physical talents and with his situation and work ethic there's not too much standing in his way.

R.I.P. Stylish
lions on top

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I do really like from what I've seen with an extremely small sample size, the first, instincts. Skills like that are not very easy to come but are I'd say in the top five needed attributes to be a great corner in the NFL. It's good to see Bentley showing some of that after only one professional game.

Another thing I saw was a short memory, he got burned early and came back and had a much more solid game after that. If you think this is not important just look at the likes of Alphonso Smith, he'll get burnt once early in a game and from there you just know it's going to be ugly all game... he lets it get to him. If BB can continue to show these more innate covering skills I think he'll eventually be a true #1 shutdown corner.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instincts, works hard, and learns from his mistakes and has the potential to be good.

Sign me up.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions absolutely need one of the CBs they drafted this year to develop into a reliable starter. They can't keep signing free agent band-aids to one-year deals only to lose them in free agency or have them underperform.

Bentley is probably the best chance at that, but great? Ehhh . . . he's got athleticism, but if that were all it took to be a great CB then Chris Greenwood would have been a top ten pick. I understand the preseason hype train, but come on.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how you came to this conclusion..ill say he looks alittle quicker than i thought. but lets hope he dont see any big recievers bc i see trouble ther. and to only have 7 college interceptions, in division2 worries me abit. does he have problems locating ball? as far as interseptions/pass breakups it just dont look good onpaper. i mean only 7picks and 20 passbreakups in a career....ther are guys doin that in a season...i dont want to see him forced in to the #2. i think he would be a good playmaker out of the slot,with has quicks.hopen for the best with him tho. i remember i wanted janoris jenkins..then we took bentley who went to same hs as jj..just weird.i just hope he doesnt gamble too much to try an make a name for himself while hurting our team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go easy on the kool-aid shall we:

ttwentyman wrote:
Titus Young just showed Bill Bentley that he hasn't arrived yet in a one-on- one drill.

ttwentyman wrote:
Titus just schooled Bentley again. Young has looked great all camp
Louis Delmas26

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:
not sure how you came to this conclusion..ill say he looks alittle quicker than i thought. but lets hope he dont see any big recievers bc i see trouble ther. and to only have 7 college interceptions, in division2 worries me abit. does he have problems locating ball? as far as interseptions/pass breakups it just dont look good onpaper. i mean only 7picks and 20 passbreakups in a career....ther are guys doin that in a season...i dont want to see him forced in to the #2. i think he would be a good playmaker out of the slot,with has quicks.hopen for the best with him tho. i remember i wanted janoris jenkins..then we took bentley who went to same hs as jj..just weird.i just hope he doesnt gamble too much to try an make a name for himself while hurting our team.

1. UL- Layfette is a FBS school not an FCS school so it is a "D1"
2. Interceptions are always an overrated stat for cornerbacks, just because he didn't have a ton of INTs doesn't mean that he is not a great cornerback. He played for a bad team so maybe the opposing team wouldn't throw on him... The more significant statistic when envaluating a corner is 1. The opposing teams QB rating when he is thrown on and 2. Targets vs. completion %

So you're argument is completely flawed if INTs were such a big deal Alphonso Smith (6 INTs 2 years ago) would be more valuable than Nnamdi Asomugha (1 INT 2 years ago)... Just a poor argument.
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Delmas26 wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

1. UL- Layfette is a FBS school not an FCS school so it is a "D1"
2. Interceptions are always an overrated stat for cornerbacks, just because he didn't have a ton of INTs doesn't mean that he is not a great cornerback. He played for a bad team so maybe the opposing team wouldn't throw on him... The more significant statistic when envaluating a corner is 1. The opposing teams QB rating when he is thrown on and 2. Targets vs. completion %

So you're argument is completely flawed if INTs were such a big deal Alphonso Smith (6 INTs 2 years ago) would be more valuable than Nnamdi Asomugha (1 INT 2 years ago)... Just a poor argument.
so what is the target vs completion %? you cant tell me interseption mean nothing...and was not what im basing his success on but 7 in 4 years in pretty dam low. and 20 pass breakups for his time in college, that is very low. and im not buying teams threw away from him argument. so bud i do know interceptions dont make the player but it can be telling sign of other things. and the OP said great...nothing he has done has been great so how can he be great all the sudden. i call it div2 bc the competition, but your right

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, he looks to be a physical CB and believe that Gunther Cunningham will make a 'star' out of him!
Nathanakin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephon Gilmore had 7 int's and 9 pass breakups. Dre Kirkpatrick had 3 int's and 16 pass breakups. I know they played higher competition.
Dwight Bentley had 12 pass breakups and 4 interceptions in his last two years. They are at least comparable. There was a reason he was taken in the 3rd round and those other guys were 1st rounders, but I think he'll be a good value pickI think he can become a solid starter in the NFL. There are only a few great CB's. If he turns out like fellow UL-Lafayette players Charles Tillman and Ike Taylor, that would be great.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude is a straight baller. He'll be our BEST CB this season. Book it. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: