Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 2 GDT: San Francisco 49'ers vs Houston Texans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you missed the game and have the NFL Network, they're re-airing the game at noon.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of notes from what I saw; I had a few functions to head to and only caught bits and pieces from the game:

- Matt Schaub looked pretty good out there, but not GREAT: I saw the pass to James Casey on 3rd and short, where Casey made a nice catch, then threw on some moves to inch pass the marker for the 1st down. Had Casey not made that play to get the ball and get the yardage, Schaub is to blame for a dead drive. That ball was pretty bad, and on 3rd and short, that's a drive killer. Can't be having your QB kill drives like that, even if someone makes a great individual effort to bail you out. Outside of that - meh, he looked OK. I saw the AJ play on highlights, and that wasn't a pretty pass at all, but I firmly believe that Schaub doesn't make that throw unless AJ is running that route; He knows he can underthrow it a bit and AJ will make a play on it. One thing not mentioned on that play? The 49ers D - a very talented and very experienced D - completely bit on the play fake. That is one thing Matt is not given credit for, he probably sets up the play fake and the fake hand off better than any QB in the NFL. Matt had 5-6 seconds to make that throw following the fake.

- AJ looks mighty fine...I only saw his big grab on the playfake, but that was vintage AJ out there; Adjust to the ball as its in the air, use his body to shield away whatever defender is in the area, come down with the ball. That play tells me he's not feeling the effects of any of his injuries - making that play with a bad hammy or a bad groin is downright improbable. We shall see if he can do this for a whole game in due time, but the initial results are very positive.

- We're gonna see a LOT of Lestar Jean signaling "first down" this upcoming season. Guy has a nose for the marker, plays faster than he is, isn't afraid to take a hit, has reliable hands to make catches, knows how to use his body to make catches on errant passes - he's not gonna be a superstar, but he will be a reliable platoon guy with either Keshawn Martin or Kevin Walter this season. Again, he's not a star...but that's fine and dandy, because...

- ...Keshawn Martin WILL be a star. I really can't put my finger on it, but K-Mart just has that "IT" factor. Working out of that slot just fits him like a glove, he runs very concise routes when he's running the 0-5 routes, cuts on a dime, uses his hands very well, finds a lane when the opportunity is there...the more I see him, the harder time I have believing that he's a rookie, let alone a 4th round rookie. How the hell did he fall into the 4th round?

- Hear that sound? That was the sound of Trindon Holliday making the team. I said he needed to do ONE more thing to add to his resume to make the squad, and 87 yards later, he's got two big return for TDs. When he was drafted, I was high on him, and that clearly fell off the map as he proved to be not as explosive way back when. The game is slowing down for him, the lanes are showing up for him, and with his track speed...that is a bad thing for the rest of the league. With DeVier Posey playing like he's got a pocket full of 100lb posies in his pants, Trindon has a spot to take, and he just took it.

- Brandon Brooks is "teh sukz" as the kids say. Guy got exposed in a bad way this week, and while it was against a good D, there's no excuse for looking THAT bad. Two holding calls in the same drive, and the one play where he DIDN'T hold, he got bowled backwards into the backfield. If anyone is due a trip to IR-World, it's Brooks. Guy just isn't NFL ready yet. Has a nice set of tools to GET there, but it's gonna take a while.

- My goodness...go AWAY, Alan Ball. It usually takes a while for me to really hate a player, and it never happens in the preseason...but wow, Ball is BAD.

Someone wanna fill me in on what I missed on?

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: