Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins cut johnson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems possible to me that Philbin didn't really want CJ in Miami, and this incident was the perfect opportunity to get rid of him.
bigmark76

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
BRING BACK ORONDE!!!

yes!! this guy knows ^
Dolphins82

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigmark76 wrote:
xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
BRING BACK ORONDE!!!

yes!! this guy knows ^
Laughing

Will Matthews be solely used as a return man?

[]_[] Family
Not 1, not 2, not 3...........it's not a joke, it's a threat
Deets

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigmark76 wrote:
xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
BRING BACK ORONDE!!!

yes!! this guy knows ^

One problem though. Oronde comes as a matching pair with his buddy Dan. Are you guys okay with that?

FF Member #67
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that some of you hate Ireland but I'm not sure how you can use this incident to bash him for taking a chance on 85.

There is nothing in Chad's past to suggest this was likely to happen. If he was cut because he did something stupid on the field which cost is a game with a stupid penalty that would be their fault, but not something that couldn't be reasonably predicted.

^ Jamison on the sig.
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes that didn't take long
Judson49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdolfan wrote:
I get that some of you hate Ireland but I'm not sure how you can use this incident to bash him for taking a chance on 85.

There is nothing in Chad's past to suggest this was likely to happen. If he was cut because he did something stupid on the field which cost is a game with a stupid penalty that would be their fault, but not something that couldn't be reasonably predicted.

Well for me, as I said on the other thread, I didn't see the point in the signing in the first place. Miami is going nowhere this year so to add a 34 year old WR with massive self indulgent ego issues who's best days are far behind, serves zero purpose for a team in full rebuild mode.

I dont see it as bashing Ireland to point out that here he's taken a flyer on a guy (that in my opinion he shouldn't have bothered with) and he's been cut without playing a down.

It's more of the same kind of move that has left the team appalling bereft on any real talent.

I dont personally have any significant feelings toward Ireland personality wise, he just seems like a pretty poor GM.
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing Johnson was a low risk high reward kind of move. If he had panned out for a season or two it would have been brilliant. Since it didn't, we are really no worse off. Certainly not going to bash Ireland for the move.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin Dave wrote:
Signing Johnson was a low risk high reward kind of move. If he had panned out for a season or two it would have been brilliant. Since it didn't, we are really no worse off. Certainly not going to bash Ireland for the move.
I couldn't disagree more. Unless we magically won the Super Bowl this year, what was the benefit of bringing in CJ?

There was no way he was going to be on the roster when Miami ever got to the Super Bowl. Instead, develop a younger player who might have a chance to contribute to a SB run 3 or 4 seasons from now. Honestly, signing retread WRs is not the choice that SB winners take when they begin rebuilding. If we already were a playoff team, then signing CJ makes sense just like it did last season for NE. But we aren't a playoff team.
Judson49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Dolphin Dave wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. Unless we magically won the Super Bowl this year, what was the benefit of bringing in CJ?

There was no way he was going to be on the roster when Miami ever got to the Super Bowl. Instead, develop a younger player who might have a chance to contribute to a SB run 3 or 4 seasons from now. Honestly, signing retread WRs is not the choice that SB winners take when they begin rebuilding. If we already were a playoff team, then signing CJ makes sense just like it did last season for NE. But we aren't a playoff team.

I couldn't agree more with this. Exactly how I see it.

Having Chad Johnson on the 2012 Miami Dolphins just made no sense.

Probably the reason I think Ireland deserves to be frowned upon is that arguably up until a few days ago both the 34 year old retread WR & 34 year old retread QB were number 1 on the depth chart at their respective positions on a team he has been acquiring talent for for 4 & half years.
56GiantPens66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only the Dolphins never traded away Wes Welker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
I hope we have a back up because the WR roster is pretty scary to me and I don't see much in the available market.

Who cares? We are going to suck anyways. Just try not to jump off a bridge because basketball season will be back soon enough and our Miami HEAT will make us proud once again.

Why I rarely come here. Lol
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judson49 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
Dolphin Dave wrote:

I couldn't agree more with this. Exactly how I see it.

Having Chad Johnson on the 2012 Miami Dolphins just made no sense.

Probably the reason I think Ireland deserves to be frowned upon is that arguably up until a few days ago both the 34 year old retread WR & 34 year old retread QB were number 1 on the depth chart at their respective positions on a team he has been acquiring talent for for 4 & half years.

It makes sense considering the fact if Jeff Ireland doesn't post a winning season this year, he'll probably be gone. Like every GM on the hotseat, he has to win now or lose his job. Chad Johnson and David Garrard were probably last-ditch efforts on his part.

Nacho Simulation Football League
ZenZuki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
...Chad Johnson and David Garrard were probably last-ditch efforts on his part.

Well, considering one hid his injury well enough to clear the doctors and the other never had (or known for) legal issues before (and honestly how could anyone have known he would fight with his new wife) ADDED to the fact neither will cost the team any money, J.I. may cruise these two issues without a hitch!

I see neither of these selections as "last ditch" efforts on his part. Nor do I see what's happened to each player as a hindrance to Ireland continued employment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Dolphin Dave wrote:

And who would you like to develop ? We needed a strong veteran presence with good work ethic. Chad Johnson was that.

It made sense because he is a good WR, and was cheap.

I didn't give the Dolphins any real credit in my post because I wanted to agitate FOOTBALLFAN08, in the event he was still checking this thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: