Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Battle at SS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will start at SS?
Taylor Mays
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
George Lloka
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Shawn Williams
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: The Battle at SS Reply with quote

There are a couple of training camp battles going on, but none of them are more hard to predict than the battle at who wins the starting SS job. It might seem clear to most of us fans on who should win it, but looking at it realistically, its hard to guess.

The options are as followed

Taylor Mays-The most experienced of the bunch, despite only starting 9 games in his career, 3 of them last year. He has the talent, but was too reckless in games, and which ultimately was the reason he lost his starting after just one week last year. So far hes getting most of the snaps at SS right now

George Lloka-Even though he was drafted in the 5th round last year, Alot of mock drafts at the time though he should of been a 2nd round lock. Barely played at all last year though, so hes a big mystery right now.

Shawn Williams-Hard to believe that a 3rd round rookie would be the favorite to win this job, but he is given the circumstances. But don't forget he is from Georgia, and lately the bengals have been having alot of success with drafting players from Georgia.

From what Im hearing, Jeromy Miles appears to have no chance at this point to win that starting job now, so hes out and now just hoping to make the roster at this point.

I believe that Shawn Williams will be the one who wins the job, but thats just me.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its going to come down to Iloka and Williams. I don't trust Taylor Mays at all at this point. They both have more well rounded games, they aren't just a big hitter. I see Taylor Mays as one of those trade bait/cut guys. In the end, honestly, I think Iloka might win it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think lloka wins the battle, he's the only one of the three that I have faith in right now to not give up big plays in the passing game. I like Shawn Williams but I think he'll need more time to develop...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Iloka. He is better against the pass, and isn't bad against the run. In he passing league we are in I think that is a huge asset.

Williams needs more time in my opinion. Mays is a special teamer who can play some god forbid injury

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care who officially starts. Mays, Iloka and Williams will all play in cerrtain packages. Since mays seems best against the run at tjhis point, I see him playing on first downs, so technically he starts. until Iloka or Williams overtake him, which wont be long.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a bit surprised on most of you going for Iloka. Never would of though that would be the case. He does seem like the safest option to put him, the issue is its the unknown. Williams might be the same case, but alot of people seem to believe hes the favorite for some reason

For all we know though, the bengals will sign a vet in september after a couple of games, like they did with crocker and it worked. I certainly would rather see Iloka or Williams get a chance instead. If Mays does start, it wont last long probably.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer you're looking for here is Shawn Williams.

The other thing to add off course is that the Bengals don't play 'strong' and 'free' safeties, they like them interchangeable.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
For all we know though, the bengals will sign a vet in september after a couple of games, like they did with crocker and it worked.
I know things can change, but Marvin has said he does not plan to sign any vet safeties.

I wouldn't write-off Jeremy Miles just yet either, Coach Simmons likes him on ST's and he has a major say in the final roster make-up.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to ESPN Jamison Hensley Whos been at the bengals camp for a week now, Shawn Williams looks like the front runner at SS now

Williams has apparently has adjusted alot better than taylor mays, so that doesnt help mays at all.

So at the moment its down to Williams and Iloka for now it looks like
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is, the Bengals don't like to start rookies unless they are ready. Iloka already has 1 year under his belt, he may start the season, Williams may pass him at some point

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
the thing is, the Bengals don't like to start rookies unless they are ready. Iloka already has 1 year under his belt, he may start the season, Williams may pass him at some point

It's not that they don't like rookies, it's that they prefer veterans. And i'd hardly consider Iloka a veteran. That 1 season wasn't filled with a lot of defensive snaps, so they're almost on equal ground as far as experience goes. Iloka has the advantage of having been in the film room for the last year though.

I don't really care who starts. But i am excited about the potential of those two players.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's not Taylor Mays. I'll trust Zim in deciding between Williams and Iloka.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the correct answer was George iloka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: