Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FREE JOE WEBB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it time for Joe Webb to start?
Yes, for the rest of the season.
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
Yes, at least for the next game to give CP's frazzled id a break.
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
No. I want a better draft pick and Captain Checkdown is our best chance at getting a higher draft pick.
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
No. I'm enjoying the comedy.
21%
 21%  [ 13 ]
Give CP one more game to pull out of the funk.
29%
 29%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 61

Darth Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: FREE JOE WEBB Reply with quote

Joe_Webb_1971_Topps by Darth_Brooks_, on Flickr

It's time for a change. Captain Checkdown is useless and he is not improving. 58 yards versus Arizona and now 68 yards versus Seattle. You have to go back to the thirties to find QB's not named Trent Dilfer that were equally ineffective AND WERE STILL ALLOWED TO START.

Joe Webb is lighting in a bottle. His talent is undeniable. Sometimes, because of being drafted in the sixth round he doesn't seem to be given a fair chance by fans. Sometimes he's still a little raw but he's never been given a solid chunk of a season to grow as a starter. He's never really had the Deer-In-The-Headlights look that T-Jax made famous.

Joe makes Brett Favre smile.

Joe throws a niiice deep ball, and has the speed and running ability to make defense pay if they try and flush him out of the pocket. He may be the third fastest player on the roster*. Meanwhile CP is frazzled, jumpy and throws to the closest option regardless of down and distance.

*behind Harvin and Josh Robinson. Peterson is still a little hobbled.

Last edited by Darth Brooks on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darth Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Note: I moved this here after talking it over with a mod.)

Also, I've had a strange experience with Madden pertaining to our QB's. When I use Ponder the other team's offense is unstoppable, the defense, solid and difficult to overcome, like climbing uphill in mud. When I use Webb it's like sliding downhill. Passes that were ponderceptions now glide past the DB's into the hungry arms of the WR's. Same settings, same schedule, wildly different results. Instead of quitting in frustration at the :censored: game it's now a blowout. Again, I know it means nothing. In fact I think that Webb's stats are worse than Ponders in the game and it may be nothing more than how I approach the game when playing.

But maybe Madden knows something. After all, there's a chance Webb would get more than 68 yards in a game.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to try something to get that offense moving.

I dont think Webb is that good, but at this point, neither is Ponder. Peterson cant do it alone, and teams arent really respecting the pass at all.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE JOE WEBB Reply with quote

Darth Brooks wrote:

You have to go back to the thirties to find QB's not named Trent Dilfer that were equally ineffective AND WERE STILL ALLOWED TO START.

No, Kyle Orton in 2005. He threw for 200 or more yards twice in 16 games. Threw for 67 yards in victory and 68 yards in victory. Captain checkdown par excellence.

Doesn't Webb have a pretty strong arm? I don't really remember. Maybe he could be a threat to scramble and throw some deep balls like Tarvaris used to do to at least keep defenses more honest.

EDIT: You sort of answered that, but I missed the bottom of the post.

Last edited by Slaymont Harris on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see an "other" option Wink

I think you have to stay the course. The Vikes play the Lions, Bears (x2) and the Packers over the next four games. A QB change during this stretch will probably make little difference.

If the season is lost after these four games, what good does benching Ponder do? May as well stick with him and see if he can pull through, get out of his slump and start playing with confidence. Ponder's biggest issue right now seems to be confidence, what is benching him going to do to improve it.

Basically, if you want Ponder to be that QB of the future (which I believe is what the Vikings want to see), you don't bench him. Play him as long as you can, give him as much experiences as you can, it will do more for his long-term development than benching him.

I dont think adding Webb does much to improve the passing game, which is why you would bench Ponder.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE JOE WEBB Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Darth Brooks wrote:

You have to go back to the thirties to find QB's not named Trent Dilfer that were equally ineffective AND WERE STILL ALLOWED TO START.

No, Kyle Orton in 2005. He threw for 200 or more yards twice in 16 games. Threw for 67 yards in victory and 68 yards in victory. Captain checkdown par excellence.

Doesn't Webb have a pretty strong arm? I don't really remember. Maybe he could be a threat to scramble and throw some deep balls like Tarvaris used to do to at least keep defenses more honest.

Confused

One of Tarvaris Jackson's issues was being extremely tentative in taking deep shots. He is actually eerily similar to Christian Ponder. Both rattled easily, both were conservative, both limited mistakes and didnt take risks, both have been known for being fragile, both have excelent athleticism but were pass first QBs.

Webb has insane athleticism and a huge arm, but that is really all he offers. Given MN doesnt have a WR who can get the ball down field, I am not sure Webbs arm strength will really make a difference.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE JOE WEBB Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
Darth Brooks wrote:

Confused

One of Tarvaris Jackson's issues was being extremely tentative in taking deep shots. He is actually eerily similar to Christian Ponder. Both rattled easily, both were conservative, both limited mistakes and didnt take risks, both have been known for being fragile, both have excelent athleticism but were pass first QBs.

Webb has insane athleticism and a huge arm, but that is really all he offers. Given MN doesnt have a WR who can get the ball down field, I am not sure Webbs arm strength will really make a difference.

Well, COULD do anyway, even if he didn't do it often. I'm not saying they're comparable, I just mean that it's good to have someone who can throw deep when playing with Peterson. I think Simpson and Aromashodou have some semblance of deep speed that could be exploited. Maybe.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a lot of Ponder's struggles are directly related to Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashodu being unable to create any separation down field. Simpson has shown flashes and clearly has the deep speed to get down field, so maybe Webb's arm would make a difference. However, Simpson has missed a lot of time due to his suspension and a random back/nerve issue that sprung up so he may just be rusty and out of sync.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Webb because he'll definitely be more entertaining to watch, although for the sake of the Vikings I don't think you'll see any drastic change if you switched to Webb, he's nothing special. So are Vikings fans done with Ponder now? Lol because after the first few games of the season I feel like all the Vikings fans were drooling over him and how he's the Vikings QB of the future. For those that are done with Ponder, do you think management is done with him? You guys probably won't pick in the top 8 either and the only three QBs capable of immediately starting IMO are Geno, Barkley and Wilson, all who will likely be taken in the top 8.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
978 yards (1st), 6 TDs (t-5th), 95.5 Passer Rating (10th)
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE JOE WEBB Reply with quote

Darth Brooks wrote:

It's time for a change. Captain Checkdown is useless and he is not improving. 58 yards versus Arizona and now 68 yards versus Seattle. You have to go back to the thirties to find QB's not named Trent Dilfer that were equally ineffective AND WERE STILL ALLOWED TO START.

You need to watch yourselves some Chiefs games.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
18 catches, 259 yards, 2 TDs
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
I want to see Webb because he'll definitely be more entertaining to watch, although for the sake of the Vikings I don't think you'll see any drastic change if you switched to Webb, he's nothing special. So are Vikings fans done with Ponder now? Lol because after the first few games of the season I feel like all the Vikings fans were drooling over him and how he's the Vikings QB of the future. For those that are done with Ponder, do you think management is done with him? You guys probably won't pick in the top 8 either and the only three QBs capable of immediately starting IMO are Geno, Barkley and Wilson, all who will likely be taken in the top 8.

Drooling over Ponder, I dont think anyone was. I know many felt good about his progression and fitting the style of the team, but I think most realized that he still lacked the ability to attack down field.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Well, a lot of Ponder's struggles are directly related to Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashodu being unable to create any separation down field. Simpson has shown flashes and clearly has the deep speed to get down field, so maybe Webb's arm would make a difference. However, Simpson has missed a lot of time due to his suspension and a random back/nerve issue that sprung up so he may just be rusty and out of sync.

Maybe Aromashodu lost a step since he was with the Bears. He was pretty fast for a taller receiver (he ran a 4.35 at the combine after all), but his hands, route running, and football IQ were a problem.
Darth Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE JOE WEBB Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
Darth Brooks wrote:

You need to watch yourselves some Chiefs games.

Serious question, who do you think misses Marty Shottenheimer more, you guys or Charger fans?
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE JOE WEBB Reply with quote

Darth Brooks wrote:

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Darth Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible QB's ITT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: