Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Projected 53 Man Rosters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you would keep 4 running backs total? not a bad idea. but it seems Pioli wants to keep 5. and If we are going to keep 5 Eachus has outplayed Bannon so it makes sense in that respect. Hillis and Charles are both coming off injuries so I can see why they want to keep 5.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCluster is 5th...he averaged 4.5 ypc with last years line, no passing threat, and bad playcalling.
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
McCluster is 5th...he averaged 4.5 ypc with last years line, no passing threat, and bad playcalling.

But He is strictly a WR this year.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Seems like poor use of a spot to me. You mention him getting carries with multiple injuries..JC,Hillis, Gray, Droughn, DMX...he's like 6th. Using a FB in our offense takes away a weapon that the D has to account for. We did great w/out using him much at all....we have speed and playmakers all over, we aren't like the Vermeil/Herm Chiefs that pounded it out a little more and had a limited number of weapons. This team works better spreading it out and it's not like he's a T-Rich anyway. As has been mentioned just use Hillis, Moeaki, Boss, Maneri, a DT in that role when necessary.

Yet our longest run of the night.. used him!!

Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

This. It's one of the focus points with Dex.. to play him at one position.

Pioli from an interview in STL:

Quote:
The big thing we're going to do is that Dexter is a wide receiver now. There was a decision made by the coaching staff that he was going to play one position and one position only. He's going to line up in the slot.

source: http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/8/17/3249535/kansas-city-chiefs-dexter-mccluster
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand wanting to work him at primarily one position ie WR. But you mean to tell me we can't count him as a 5th rb in case of emergency?? Instead we are gonna keep a 5th rb forcing us to cut much better players at other position. What is the point if having a versatile player like dex. Would be poor roster management IMO
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
I understand wanting to work him at primarily one position ie WR. But you mean to tell me we can't count him as a 5th rb in case of emergency?? Instead we are gonna keep a 5th rb forcing us to cut much better players at other position. What is the point if having a versatile player like dex. Would be poor roster management IMO

Why is it poor? Does Dex have to be multi-positional to be valuable? All reports have been saying since he has been allowed to focus on just the slot.. he has excelled.

Add to that he does still present depth in the return game.

The real point is though.. Daboll actually does make use of a FB. So if they like this Eachus guy as a FB over any other player filling the role of a FB.. how could anyone make the argument that the roster spot was wasted? I'm sure Eachus (or Bannon if it goes that way) will also participate in special teams.
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view it as poor because we will have to cut a much better player at another position IMO
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
I view it as poor because we will have to cut a much better player at another position IMO

Is that much better player at another position going to lead block for Hillis?

I mean I get what you're saying but this is a good thing. Our depth is really good this year and we will have to cut players that other teams will covet. We can't keep em all.

Dex, Gray, and Droughn.. nor Charles are going to lead block for Hillis when we want to just run downhill. Daboll's offense requires a FB - it's really that simple.
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

I mean I get what you're saying but this is a good thing. Our depth is really good this year and we will have to cut players that other teams will covet. We can't keep em all.

Dex, Gray, and Droughn.. nor Charles are going to lead block for Hillis when we want to just run downhill. Daboll's offense requires a FB - it's really that simple.

Just to play devil's advocate here, why would we need a lead blocker for Hillis when Moeaki, Boss and Maneri are all fully capable of filling that role already?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When that occasion arises why not just use maneri?
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Says who? He's working as a WR cuz he's gonna be used there more this year. If their are injuries, especially if JC misses a game or two, he can step in especially on 3rd downs as a RB and Wylie can get more time in the slot.

Edit: I didn't realize Pioli said that, I would still hope he would be our 3rd down guy if JC was out and move Wylie to the slot to get him some action (if he's ready).

The longest run of the night used Eacus, that is true. I still believe that play works just as well with Boss or Moeaki or even Hillis there and JC running it. Not only do we have more for the D to account for if those guys are all in, but we are also getting better use out of all our weapons and more playing time...because it is a little crowded with only 5 "weapon" positions open for each play and we have the 3 B's, DMX, Wiley, 2 TE's, JC, Hillis....that's 9 without even counting Gray, Droughn, or Maneri who are all decent as well. That's just my opinion, i'm sure we'll do great either way.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate here, why would we need a lead blocker for Hillis when Moeaki, Boss and Maneri are all fully capable of filling that role already?

Diesel2692 wrote:
When that occasion arises why not just use maneri?

I think they can in a pinch or within the motion design of the play. I actually look forward to such deception being employed by Daboll.

That said.. it's not their primary position.. and when we find ourselves in a 4 minute downhill offense.. I'd expect two of those TE's already in the game on the LOS. I wouldn't expect to see any of them lining up down after down in a power running game from the backfield.

I know the FB position is kinda getting endangered in today's NFL but consider.. this is a run first team. If any teams are going to make big use of a FB it's a team like this one.
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
I think they can in a pinch or within the motion design of the play. That said.. it's not their primary position.

Maneri used to be an offensive lineman, so he knows how to block well on the move or as an in-line blocker. We're still trying to figure out where his best fit is, so how can you say it's not his primary position? I view Maneri as a guy who is just as versatile as Hillis is, but each player has different strengths in certain parts of their games. Hell, just like Dex is versatile, so is Maneri and since we already have two other TEs ahead of him and he's obviously a good player, why would we want to keep him OFF the field in an effort to keep his skill set one dimensional?

Versatility is the name of the game with Pioli and Crennel. The only reason Dex has only been getting reps at WR is because he's no longer NEEDED at RB since we're so stacked there now.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd describe Maneri differently.. he tried to be an off lineman and packed on weight.. but it didn't work for him (read: failed) so he shed the weight again and went back to his natural position TE.

Travis Daniels can play CB and S! He's versatile! Should we forgo keeping a guy like Elam because he's just a safety.. that way we can get Daniels on the field more too? I say that tongue in cheek obviously.

Daboll's offense thus far has shown it uses a FB.. so I'd expect there will be a FB on the roster. And at this point I'd expect that to be Eachus as he ran with the 1's in game and in practice since then despite Bannon's return.

I don't think this will limit Maneri in any way, as I also expect to see 3 TE sets at times and him or one of the others shifting into an H-back and lead blocking on occasion as well. I say that despite not one single report from TC thus far mentioning ANY TE lining up in the backfield in any form thus far.

You guys are contending a guy can do something that so far.. you've never seen him do. This is Football's Future so that idea isn't without merit.. but at least concede it's much more unlikely a solution that will bring great success than actually having a FB on the roster might bring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: