Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Orlando Franklin to guard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another article on the possible OL changes:

http://broncotalk.net/2012/08/40215/broncos-buzz/rumors/broncos-may-move-o-linemen-franklin-kuper/
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
whenmidgetsatak wrote:
It would be best if we didnt have a borderline paraplegic and all-around terrible replacement at RT. I say we keep it the way it is.

UNLESS, maybe flip Beadles to RT? I know we all think Beadles sucks, but its mostly with power guys, Franklin is the opposite. Beadles played RT in college too, right?

If anything, this might be what happens. Beadles sucks, that's a given, but he may be a better RT option than anything.

It's kinda funny. Last October I started a thread about switching Beadles and Franklin. That didn't go anywhere, but got some good observations on Beadles, mainly short arms and lack of foot speed. Still, weakness at RT is much easier to cover up than weakness at OG.

Personally, I'd rather have harris at RT (if he can still play, we still don't know that)with Beadles as a swing OL guy. He can play multiple positions.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nilknarf odnalro playing GL...good idea.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
nilknarf odnalro playing GL...good idea.

A mind works in strange ways. Only you jst, only you. Laughing
mke1010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the consensus on Franklin? Is he primed to be a bust? He is a liability in pass protection. Some question whether he fits inside. Most of the preliminary reports after seeing him play RG were poor.
So what do we have here? A RT good in run blocking but poor in pass blocking. Is that worth a 2nd round pick?
germ-x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think moving Franklin to OG is going to make a big difference in his play. Much like his play at RT, he is going to be solid when asked to attack in the running game, but struggle in pass pro when mirroring and needing to play with more depth. Obviously he won't be needing the same kind of depth at OG, but to me he will always be fine in the running game and pass pro will be a bit of a liability, no matter where he plays.

I think many assume moving Franklin to OG will cure his ills and he will be a great OG. While his struggles can be masked a bit more at OG, IMO, you will see similar play from him at OT or OG.
mke1010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I really don't think moving Franklin to OG is going to make a big difference in his play. Much like his play at RT, he is going to be solid when asked to attack in the running game, but struggle in pass pro when mirroring and needing to play with more depth. Obviously he won't be needing the same kind of depth at OG, but to me he will always be fine in the running game and pass pro will be a bit of a liability, no matter where he plays.

I think many assume moving Franklin to OG will cure his ills and he will be a great OG. While his struggles can be masked a bit more at OG, IMO, you will see similar play from him at OT or OG.

So if this is what he will always be, was it worth a 2nd round pick to draft him?
germ-x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
germ-x wrote:

So if this is what he will always be, was it worth a 2nd round pick to draft him?

I think so. While he isn't going to be a dominant all around OG or OT, I do think he will be a competent one for a long time. I don't think he ends up like Beadles and his best value is as a depth swing OL. Orlando Franklin is a starting caliber OL, IMO.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:

Franklins blocking style will matchup better against bigger defenders. His strength and power is his strength so limiting matchups against the speedier guys will only benefit him and this team.

Im all for him staying at RT right now, mainly because I have zero faith in Ryan Harris, but after this season Id be okay if we look for a veteran RT or a 1st rounder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
germ-x wrote:

Franklins blocking style will matchup better against bigger defenders. His strength and power is his strength so limiting matchups against the speedier guys will only benefit him and this team.

I don't doubt it could benefit him, but I don't think that is necessarily true. He may get away from the "speed" edge rushers, but quickness becomes an issue...especially with his height. In the Bears game there was a perfect example of this. Franklin was beaten off the snap, got tall and lost all leverage and was driven 2 or 3 yards into the backfield resulting in a negative play.

IMO, he is always going to struggle against quicker/speedier players regardless of whether he is inside or out.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
germ-x wrote:

I don't doubt it could benefit him, but I don't think that is necessarily true. He may get away from the "speed" edge rushers, but quickness becomes an issue...especially with his height. In the Bears game there was a perfect example of this. Franklin was beaten off the snap, got tall and lost all leverage and was driven 2 or 3 yards into the backfield resulting in a negative play.

IMO, he is always going to struggle against quicker/speedier players regardless of whether he is inside or out.

Agreed.

But lets remember that he hasnt played guard much in the last year. Yes, hes had experience there in the past, still doesnt mean he wont get beat every now and again.

I still think his skillset better suits him on the interior.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: