Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lechler vs. King
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want as our punter moving forward?
Lechler, cut/trade King
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
King, cut/trade Lechler
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Both, have King back up Lechler but at a cost of a roster spot
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 27

RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Lechler vs. King Reply with quote

There has been some debates regarding this topic, but I think it would be easier to focus on the topic solely in this thread. There has been alot of buzz lately around Marquette King, an UDFA punter on our roster as of now. We all know of Lechler's abilities and how he is frankly the best punter in the NFL, and the best of all time imo. I love the man and what he brings to this team, but there are acouple of problems that I have with.

1. His age. He is in his mid 30's, which isnt bad for punters, but is definetly not young. He is only getting older and we wont know when he might begin to decline.

2. The costs of having him on our team. Waaay overpaid for a punter imo. He is great at what he does, but to expensive for his position.

What would be the ideal plan of action in your guys opinion? Would you want to keep Lechler or King? There is the possibility of keeping both ofcourse, but im not sure if McKenzie values the P position enough to keep 2 on the roster.

Edit: Added some videos of King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njrfpu8J12E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzNrS0ens0s

Cool how a punter has a highlight tape. Laughing

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.

Last edited by RaidersAreOne on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
norcalraider510

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the $$$

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see why he's quickly becoming a fan favorite 'round here.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets wait to see him in game situations but shane does cost to much imo

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Rolni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can get under the cap we should keep Lechler and sign King to the PS.
After the season check out what kind of a new deal Shane want's and if that's "out of whack" let him walk and sign King long term...
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane is the best punter in the history of the game. Has shown no signs of wearing down and will likely play into his 40's.

It takes more than a big leg to be a great punter. Yes, King can boom a kick. But can he control it? Can he execute a corner coffin? Can he pin teams inside their own 20?

There is ALOT more to punting than kicking high floaters. You don't give up a guy like Lechler who is as valuable a ST player as they come for an unproven commodity.

King could make the PS. But some team will likely need a leg. We've also see a number of big leg fizzle in the NFL because they have nothing else in their arsenal. So until we see King in some game situations, this shouldn't even be a topic of conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there,seen it,done it in the case of Lechler.
No way would I cut him for an unproven.IF we had you everyday punter I'd pick up King at the drop of a hat but with Lechler no way.
Can King do it in the NFL,can he handle the pressure ?
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Shane is the best punter in the history of the game. Has shown no signs of wearing down and will likely play into his 40's.

It takes more than a big leg to be a great punter. Yes, King can boom a kick. But can he control it? Can he execute a corner coffin? Can he pin teams inside their own 20?

There is ALOT more to punting than kicking high floaters. You don't give up a guy like Lechler who is as valuable a ST player as they come for an unproven commodity.

King could make the PS. But some team will likely need a leg. We've also see a number of big leg fizzle in the NFL because they have nothing else in their arsenal. So until we see King in some game situations, this shouldn't even be a topic of conversation.

How often does Lechler do that? Hardly ever, its really the only thing that aggravates me about him.

We certainly have to see King in live action before we discuss this, but what do we do if King has a fantastic preseason?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

How often does Lechler do that? Hardly ever, its really the only thing that aggravates me about him.

We certainly have to see King in live action before we discuss this, but what do we do if King has a fantastic preseason?

To be fair, it's a dead art. Almost every punter today relies on the pooch kick. And in that sense Lechler has one of the dirtiest pooch kicks ever. I've never seen a guy kill punt like him. High floaters that just die when the hit the ground. Pretty unreal when you see it happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

To be fair, it's a dead art. Almost every punter today relies on the pooch kick. And in that sense Lechler has one of the dirtiest pooch kicks ever. I've never seen a guy kill punt like him. High floaters that just die when the hit the ground. Pretty unreal when you see it happen.

Oh for sure. Watching Lechler punt is a thing of beauty. Best to ever do it in my personal opinion, but there are some times where he doesnt have enough space to pooch it and would be better served to angle it out of bounds, but when you produce results like Shane has you leave it to him to make that judgement. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just tired of our "star" players being our kickers. Lechler is great but what has he done recently that really helped us win a game and was it worth 5 mill a year. Ya I get the whole field position thing, etc. But how many punts were run back on us? 2 TD's were scored on punts last year not including the league leading 593 punt return yards. While granted is mostly the coverage teams fault it makes Lechler even less effective. All I am saying if we have even an average replacement Im in because I would rather the team spend that 5 mill on make our whole team better. You could get at least two quality players for that.

Ideally if a guy like King works out you trade Lechler and get some value back.
dante9876

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
I am just tired of our "star" players being our kickers. Lechler is great but what has he done recently that really helped us win a game and was it worth 5 mill a year. Ya I get the whole field position thing, etc. But how many punts were run back on us? 2 TD's were scored on punts last year not including the league leading 593 punt return yards. While granted is mostly the coverage teams fault it makes Lechler even less effective. All I am saying if we have even an average replacement Im in because I would rather the team spend that 5 mill on make our whole team better. You could get at least two quality players for that.

This.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:

You guys act like it's YOUR money. Who cares? He's the best kicker in the modern era of football. A consummate professional.

5 mil a year to a punter. Where do you want to apply that money if he was let go?

I think people overreact to the money and business side of the game. Players get paid, some more than others but his 5 mil salary isn't holding the Raiders back from anything.

And personally, watch some of these other teams without a sound punter and kicker. They are marching in legs all season, trying to find solutions. They have punters shanking kicks, kickers missing routine FG attempts. Punters who fold in pressure situations with a dud, etc. ST is a big part of the game, I personally don't mind having a sound kicker and punter I don't have to worry about blowing it in big situations.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

You guys act like it's YOUR money. Who cares? He's the best kicker in the modern era of football. A consummate professional.

5 mil a year to a punter. Where do you want to apply that money if he was let go?

I think people overreact to the money and business side of the game. Players get paid, some more than others but his 5 mil salary isn't holding the Raiders back from anything.

And personally, watch some of these other teams without a sound punter and kicker. They are marching in legs all season, trying to find solutions. They have punters shanking kicks, kickers missing routine FG attempts. Punters who fold in pressure situations with a dud, etc. ST is a big part of the game, I personally don't mind having a sound kicker and punter I don't have to worry about blowing it in big situations.

This. Just ask jaguar fans.

Without seabass and Shane, we lose the bears game, and quite possibly one or two others last year.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

This.

To both of you. What 2 'quality' players are you getting for that?

Fans have been spoiled with Lechler. I think most of you forgot or became fans after the Raiders early century run.

Does anyone remember Leo Araguz shanking around punts in 1999? That's why Shane was drafted.

The Raiders haven't had to worry about the punting situation in over a decade. Trust me, you'd miss Lechler. Most don't know what it's like without him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: