Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quinton Coples vs. Chandler Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
J.J. Watt, leading candidate for Defensive POY in his second year, had only 5.5 sacks as a rookie playing the same position as Coples. It takes a while to learn to play that position.

We as Jets fans are overly sensitive about D-Line prospects after Robertson and Gholston, but in limited action Coples has already shown to be a better player than them. Dude is gonna be a load to deal with for years to come. When u see him in games he is most often double teamed so opposing teams already know. As he understands what teams are trying to do to him, his counter moves will develop. Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples is gonna be a beast of a D-Line.

I'm not concerned about what Jones is doing. Because I know that Coples will be great for us.

Great post. I really like the future of our DL.

Yeah, great post. I forgot about JJ's first year. Even Calais Campbell, he didn't have a sack in his first year. So Coples still have a chance to become a great player.

5-tech DEs are no suposed to be putting up huge sack numbers and are suposed to be commanding more double teams and have completely different gap responsibilities then your normal 4-tech 4-3 DE. What J.J. Watt is doing is simply unbelievable. IF Coples is anywhere from 6-8 sacks and playing the run well I will be extremely happy with that.

Honestly the Jets really just need a pure NT to complete that DL. Pouha is old and his back will be an issue for the rest of his career. Ellis is alright but probably wont be the guy. If this team brings in a pure NT that can 2-gap and finally draft some OLBs. well be just fine on defense. Unfortunately our offense is so bad we need to focus almost all our energy on rebuilding that side of the ball.

I agree about the NT position. I'm not giving up on Ellis yet, but he hasn't shown me much that makes me feel like he can take over the position. Might need to get a good free agent for that one

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
J.J. Watt, leading candidate for Defensive POY in his second year, had only 5.5 sacks as a rookie playing the same position as Coples. It takes a while to learn to play that position.

We as Jets fans are overly sensitive about D-Line prospects after Robertson and Gholston, but in limited action Coples has already shown to be a better player than them. Dude is gonna be a load to deal with for years to come. When u see him in games he is most often double teamed so opposing teams already know. As he understands what teams are trying to do to him, his counter moves will develop. Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples is gonna be a beast of a D-Line.

I'm not concerned about what Jones is doing. Because I know that Coples will be great for us.

Yeah, great post. I forgot about JJ's first year. Even Calais Campbell, he didn't have a sack in his first year. So Coples still have a chance to become a great player.

5-tech DEs are no suposed to be putting up huge sack numbers and are suposed to be commanding more double teams and have completely different gap responsibilities then your normal 4-tech 4-3 DE. What J.J. Watt is doing is simply unbelievable. IF Coples is anywhere from 6-8 sacks and playing the run well I will be extremely happy with that.

Honestly the Jets really just need a pure NT to complete that DL. Pouha is old and his back will be an issue for the rest of his career. Ellis is alright but probably wont be the guy. If this team brings in a pure NT that can 2-gap and finally draft some OLBs. well be just fine on defense. Unfortunately our offense is so bad we need to focus almost all our energy on rebuilding that side of the ball.

I agree about the NT position. I'm not giving up on Ellis yet, but he hasn't shown me much that makes me feel like he can take over the position. Might need to get a good free agent for that one

I like Terrance Knighton from JAX hes 6-3 330. Perfect size and hes a good run stuffer. Pouha is great but it doesn't matter how great he is if he cant get himself on the field. Might not be very expensive. We can afford to cut Sione after next year anyway. He'll be 35.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
We can afford to cut Sione after next year anyway. He'll be 35.

Yeah I have been playing with that idea. He is making a ton of money, is old, isn't on the field, and when he is on the field this year he isn't playing that well. I really wish Ellis was healthy so we could evaluate him better
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Jet Life wrote:

I like Terrance Knighton from JAX hes 6-3 330. Perfect size and hes a good run stuffer. Pouha is great but it doesn't matter how great he is if he cant get himself on the field. Might not be very expensive. We can afford to cut Sione after next year anyway. He'll be 35.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Him & Ellis would make a good rotation at NT when Pouha retire. Get a good run stuffer, and revamp the LB core. I'll be happy with that.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been begging for this team to attempt to trade down several times like the Pats always do and collect 2nd and 3rd round picks. If we have a good draft in April and a smart FA, this team could be on the right track going into 2014. 2013 is going to be a tough year, and I honestly think we should select one of Landry Jones, Tyler Bray/Wilson, or Mike Glennon on day two or three, draft a RB earlier and move forward with the run first attitude and ball control on offense. Say we go like 7-9 or 8-8 (which would be progress after a bit of a rebuild) and have another strong draft, 2014 could be the year we get back to being a 10-6+ team. Unfortunately we dont have the right people in the FO to make this happen, or an owner who has any idea of what to do.

jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
I have been begging for this team to attempt to trade down several times like the Pats always do and collect 2nd and 3rd round picks. If we have a good draft in April and a smart FA, this team could be on the right track going into 2014. 2013 is going to be a tough year, and I honestly think we should select one of Landry Jones, Tyler Bray/Wilson, or Mike Glennon on day two or three, draft a RB earlier and move forward with the run first attitude and ball control on offense. Say we go like 7-9 or 8-8 (which would be progress after a bit of a rebuild) and have another strong draft, 2014 could be the year we get back to being a 10-6+ team. Unfortunately we dont have the right people in the FO to make this happen, or an owner who has any idea of what to do.

Only problem is with the way we've been drafting we'll take Nickelbacks, reach on project OL, trade up for FBs, trade away core players for a pick, etc.

All the extra picks will likely mean less talent. Laughing

But I like your idea of run first and ball control on offense. It's PERFECT for the team and Rex. Have a dominating defense(gotta get that OLB though) and let the run game keep your D fresh and their D tired. It worked for us the first 2 years and then we just made crappy personnel decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

Only problem is with the way we've been drafting we'll take Nickelbacks, reach on project OL, trade up for FBs, trade away core players for a pick, etc.

All the extra picks will likely mean less talent. Laughing

But I like your idea of run first and ball control on offense. It's PERFECT for the team and Rex. Have a dominating defense(gotta get that OLB though) and let the run game keep your D fresh and their D tired. It worked for us the first 2 years and then we just made crappy personnel decisions.

Your probably right especially the way we draft. I just feel like a dominating OL with a good RB and a big armed QB would give us a carbon copy of what the 49ers are. And any one of those QBs I listed could easily do what Alex Smith does.

If we can bring in at least one guard in FA it will help tremendously in the draft. We have needs at almost every position.

JetFanSince85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Chandler Jones get hurt yesterday or was he benched?

Big Q looked good again in limited playing time.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:

I understand the logic but what about the Pats drafting history makes you want to draft like them. They have been terrible drafters since doing this trade back thing. Way more misses than hits. They're at their best when they just stand pat and draft.

I'm not against trading down if there is a guy we like/need back a few picks.

Props to Mack on the sig
xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

I understand the logic but what about the Pats drafting history makes you want to draft like them. They have been terrible drafters since doing this trade back thing. Way more misses than hits. They're at their best when they just stand pat and draft.

I think its more their draft philosphy that we are hoping for not their evaluation on talent. To be fair hightower and jones look like good players but theyve produced some por picks too. I think if we are picking between 6-12 and Jarvis Jones is off the board but guys like Jordan, Moore, Mingo, Montgomery etc are still there then by trading down and adding picks we could still get a OLB and gain more picks. The situation has to be right for tjat to happen only on draft night will we find out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetFanSince85 wrote:
Did Chandler Jones get hurt yesterday or was he benched?

Big Q looked good again in limited playing time.

He suffered an ankle injury.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:

Even if we assume the Pats have drafted "way more misses than hits" (they haven't), they're still hitting more because of their quantity of picks.

10 picks with a 50% hit rate gives more good players than 5 picks with a 80% hit rate.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we will start trading back. We finally had a full draft in the last, cut 2 players before the season started, and threw 2 talented players on the practice squad. With Tanny & Rex, I just don't see the purpose of trading back multiple times in a draft.

As far as dealing with picks, I like what Tanny did in the last draft. Didn't trade to many away, and didn't only come out with 3 players. But who he selected is a different story.

Quote:
green24

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
I doubt we will start trading back. We finally had a full draft in the last, cut 2 players before the season started, and threw 2 talented players on the practice squad. With Tanny & Rex, I just don't see the purpose of trading back multiple times in a draft.

As far as dealing with picks, I like what Tanny did in the last draft. Didn't trade to many away, and didn't only come out with 3 players. But who he selected is a different story.

The first three picks of this draft have all been major contributors already.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

The first three picks of this draft have all been major contributors already.

Yeah, they are. I was just saying I wasn't going to talk about who he selected, but how he handled the picks. The only time I like trading back is if we don't have a chance at picking a true playmaker. But I don't mind trading up in the draft once to select a great player as long as we don't trade away everything. Like the trade to select Hill.

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: