Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quinton Coples vs. Chandler Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
I have no problem with him digging up this thread. It is better than starting a new thread and this is a perfectly relevant topic. Plus we would have done the same thing if the stats were reversed. Roll with the punches guys.

Agreed, I made the thread for this purpose. Laughing

You didn't make the thread... Wink

Oops, twas the Melvin Ingram one. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones has played way more snaps then Couples. I think Couples has been fine.
Jamison.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetFanSince85 wrote:
Jones has played way more snaps then Couples. I think Couples has been fine.
Agreed. I'm not even all that impressed with Jones. Not to mention Jones is asked to do something completely different that Coples is. I'd say Coples is doing just fine playing at he 3-4 DE spot. Especially considering it's a new position for him to play. I wasn't really expecting a 3-4 rookie DE to have all that many sacks. We'll see how the rest of the season pans out.

Jamison.'s Gallery
jpt331

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they have to be connected?? There 2 completely different type of players Couples being more of a pure DE while Jones is more of a hybrid you can't really compare the two because there styles are so different different pass rushing styles and moves if you wanted a guy to compare him to compare him to Bruce Irvin the first hybrid style rusher that came off the board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpt331 wrote:
Why do they have to be connected?? There 2 completely different type of players Couples being more of a pure DE while Jones is more of a hybrid you can't really compare the two because there styles are so different different pass rushing styles and moves if you wanted a guy to compare him to compare him to Bruce Irvin the first hybrid style rusher that came off the board

1) Jones is not a hybrid rusher whatsoever. He is a pure 4-3 DE and in no way shape or form does he compare to Bruce Irvin

2) Coples is not a pure DE he is more of a 5-technique DE/3-technique 3-4 DE.

Jamison.'s Gallery
jpt331

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamison. wrote:
jpt331 wrote:

1) Jones is not a hybrid rusher whatsoever. He is a pure 4-3 DE and in no way shape or form does he compare to Bruce Irvin

2) Coples is not a pure DE he is more of a 5-technique DE/3-technique 3-4 DE.

Jones plays the hybrid DE/LB in the Pats hybrid front which I guess you can say there "base" is a 43 but he's not a pure end, I've seen him play plenty of LB for them at times

The couples thing was me equating that he primarily plays DE in the 34 and 43 but he does play a fair share of 3tech DT in our 43 looks...I just don't think they should be compared because Jones is playing a position where he gets more chances to just rush the passer than couples who plays a position which main responsibility is not to rush the passer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, don't these guys play different positions?

Why is this thread a thing?

"I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrelle Revis wrote:

And.... it took till page four to come to this conclusion
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Darrelle Revis wrote:

I'd say this is a fair thread. I mean yea they don't play the sam position but it is someone our rival took in the first round that we were contemplating taking. So based on who is a better player at their position we can relatively say who the better selection was.

This isn't something we will learn in just their rookie year though
Jet Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.J. Watt, leading candidate for Defensive POY in his second year, had only 5.5 sacks as a rookie playing the same position as Coples. It takes a while to learn to play that position.

We as Jets fans are overly sensitive about D-Line prospects after Robertson and Gholston, but in limited action Coples has already shown to be a better player than them. Dude is gonna be a load to deal with for years to come. When u see him in games he is most often double teamed so opposing teams already know. As he understands what teams are trying to do to him, his counter moves will develop. Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples is gonna be a beast of a D-Line.

I'm not concerned about what Jones is doing. Because I know that Coples will be great for us.
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
Darrelle Revis wrote:

I'd say this is a fair thread. I mean yea they don't play the sam position but it is someone our rival took in the first round that we were contemplating taking. So based on who is a better player at their position we can relatively say who the better selection was.

This isn't something we will learn in just their rookie year though

No but it isn't fair to compare stats from a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 DE. Chandler has been slightly better but simply state 6 sacks compared to 2 (or whatever the numbers are) isn't fair.

I have no problem comparing/tracking the players if it is kept within perspective
green24

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Life wrote:
J.J. Watt, leading candidate for Defensive POY in his second year, had only 5.5 sacks as a rookie playing the same position as Coples. It takes a while to learn to play that position.

We as Jets fans are overly sensitive about D-Line prospects after Robertson and Gholston, but in limited action Coples has already shown to be a better player than them. Dude is gonna be a load to deal with for years to come. When u see him in games he is most often double teamed so opposing teams already know. As he understands what teams are trying to do to him, his counter moves will develop. Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples is gonna be a beast of a D-Line.

I'm not concerned about what Jones is doing. Because I know that Coples will be great for us.

Great post. I really like the future of our DL.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Jet Life wrote:

Yeah, great post. I forgot about JJ's first year. Even Calais Campbell, he didn't have a sack in his first year. So Coples still have a chance to become a great player.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Jet Life wrote:

Yeah, great post. I forgot about JJ's first year. Even Calais Campbell, he didn't have a sack in his first year. So Coples still have a chance to become a great player.

5-tech DEs are no suposed to be putting up huge sack numbers and are suposed to be commanding more double teams and have completely different gap responsibilities then your normal 4-tech 4-3 DE. What J.J. Watt is doing is simply unbelievable. IF Coples is anywhere from 6-8 sacks and playing the run well I will be extremely happy with that.

Honestly the Jets really just need a pure NT to complete that DL. Pouha is old and his back will be an issue for the rest of his career. Ellis is alright but probably wont be the guy. If this team brings in a pure NT that can 2-gap and finally draft some OLBs. well be just fine on defense. Unfortunately our offense is so bad we need to focus almost all our energy on rebuilding that side of the ball.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Jet Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Jet Life wrote:

5-tech DEs are no suposed to be putting up huge sack numbers and are suposed to be commanding more double teams and have completely different gap responsibilities then your normal 4-tech 4-3 DE. What J.J. Watt is doing is simply unbelievable. IF Coples is anywhere from 6-8 sacks and playing the run well I will be extremely happy with that.

Honestly the Jets really just need a pure NT to complete that DL. Pouha is old and his back will be an issue for the rest of his career. Ellis is alright but probably wont be the guy. If this team brings in a pure NT that can 2-gap and finally draft some OLBs. well be just fine on defense. Unfortunately our offense is so bad we need to focus almost all our energy on rebuilding that side of the ball.

I'm not ready to give up on Ellis just yet. He actually played pretty well before he got hurt. I noticed him pushing the pocket back like Jenkins used to.

I think he could really be a beast for us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: