Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quinton Coples vs. Chandler Jones
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Quinton Coples vs. Chandler Jones Reply with quote

These careers are going to be interesting to follow.

2 similar players drafted close to one another on rival teams. Both are mainly 43 DE's who can also play 34 DE if they have to. Both are more about power and not speed rushers.

Who do you think will have a better career?

I just saw Jones in preseason and he looked amazing. It won't show up in stat lines, but he forced Brees to throw the ball away, forced back to back holding calls which set the Saints back to 3rd and 22... and his run stops were great. His impact was immediately evident on the DLine. I think this kids going to be special.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that i was in love with the coples pick, but i wanted no part of chandler jones in the first round, and thought you guys really reached for him. Dude is a great athlete and comes from an athletic family, but I just was not that impressed with him, or at least not for a first round selection.

I don't really like Coples though either. Guy seems ridiculously unmotivated even in interviews. Coples has more potential and a much higher ceiling, but if hes taking plays off like he was in college then it really doesn't matter and Chandler Jones will be the better pro player.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want Jones either he just couldn't do anything against big east opponents so I don't expect big things from him in the pros.

I wanted Ingram, who had a very solid 1st preseason game so Coples better live up to his selection. I'm still happy we didn't reach for the workout warrior in Jones.

Props to Mack on the sig
frank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've heard about Coples so far is that Vlad was pushing him around in training camp. If that is true the Jets are in a world of trouble. I would have rather had Jones then Coples prior to the draft, Coples lack of a motor really scares me.
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see Jones in yesterdays preseason game?

He was flat out dominant against a good starting LT. Made a big impact on 7 out of 26 plays, which is a really good percentage. He was all over the field, played with Patriots 1st team, and looked like the best player on defense for the few series that he played.

If he can continue playing like that in the regular season, he will be a frontrunner for DROY.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know too much about how Coples has been this offseason, but on the topic of Jones, here's something from a Patriots fan/writer who also disliked Jones predraft:
http://www.nesn.com/2012/08/chandler-jones-dominant-performance-in-preseason-opener-just-glimpse-at-potential-talent.html
Quote:
I was one of Jones' biggest critics coming out of Syracuse and had serious doubts about his ability to stand up and rush off the edge. I saw a player with a lot of untamed strength, great length and unlimited upside as a defensive lineman, but when Jones was asked to stand up and rush off the edge or drop back into coverage he looked awkward and uncomfortable. What I did not put enough stock into was how much his knee injury was affecting him. Jones hurt his knee in Syracuse's first game of the 2011 season against Wake Forest, missed the next five games and was obviously still affected by it through the rest of his junior season. This is apparent after watching him early in training camp and against the Saints on Thursday. Not only has Jones bulked up this offseason, but he also looks quicker and more fluid on a fully healed knee.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinton Coples looked great tonight, I like what I saw. He made it look easy at times where he just blew right past the guy, then manned up and stuffed the run, had a nice pass breakup at the line.

Stats 5 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack, 1 PD. Of course its only preseason, so hes got a lot to prove still. But its always encouraging to see your 1st rounder look good.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
green24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm pretty happy with Coples.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Coples

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
Quinton Coples looked great tonight, I like what I saw. He made it look easy at times where he just blew right past the guy,

Who was this "guy"?
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
Quinton Coples looked great tonight, I like what I saw. He made it look easy at times where he just blew right past the guy,

Who was this "guy"?

Considering the Bengals don't have a tackle on their roster as the Saints' starting LT, I'd wager winning one play isn't as nearly impressive as making the opposing probowl LT on a passhappy team, your playtoy the entire time he was in. Just physically abused him. It doesn't matter if it's preseason or not, players don't let other players out muscle them just because it's preseason. Jones was too fast and too strong for the most pass happy team ever's starting LT.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:

Who was this "guy"?

He lined up at right and left end in both the 43 and 34, inside at DT, and at the nose. He was able to dominate at times regardless of who or where he was lined up.

Coples will no doubt be in the running for DROY.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pissing contest begins. Yawn.

Yes, by the way, I'm drunk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
The pissing contest begins. Yawn.
My dad can beat up your dad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this was a troll trap. Rolling Eyes

Coples looked good out there. Its only preseason game #1 of his career. He played multiple positions on the line and did his job.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: