Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Szymanski

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Matt Szymanski Reply with quote

A guy noone talks about. Big question: why is he on the team right now?

Option one: Camp leg, take some kicks away from Colquitt & Succop during ST sessions. Uh, when do those guys practice kicking then?

Option two: taking a REALLY close look at a guy they may be interested in NEXT year. Colquitt is in a contract year - and kicker/punter salaries exploded recently. Szymanski comes in on kick-offs but also punted twice last week. Having someone they know something about may provide the Chiefs some leverage in contract talks - and a proven fallback option if they are unable to retain Colquitt at an acceptable rate.

In the Arizona game he put all three kickoffs into the endzone for touchbacks, his first punt went 35 yds, out of bounds, the second 55 yds to the ARI 16 with a 1 yd return. Not too shabby.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Matt Szymanski Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
A guy noone talks about. Big question: why is he on the team right now?

Option one: Camp leg, take some kicks away from Colquitt & Succop during ST sessions. Uh, when do those guys practice kicking then?

Option two: taking a REALLY close look at a guy they may be interested in NEXT year. Colquitt is in a contract year - and kicker/punter salaries exploded recently. Szymanski comes in on kick-offs but also punted twice last week. Having someone they know something about may provide the Chiefs some leverage in contract talks - and a proven fallback option if they are unable to retain Colquitt at an acceptable rate.

In the Arizona game he put all three kickoffs into the endzone for touchbacks, his first punt went 35 yds, out of bounds, the second 55 yds to the ARI 16 with a 1 yd return. Not too shabby.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the PS.

IMO, a punter/kicker on the PS is a waste of a roster spot.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's an interesting player in that he can both kickoff and punt, but does he kick FG's too? I forget.

I'm wondering when the day comes that you have just one "kicker" on the team so that other roster spot can be used elsewhere. This "kicker" will punt, kick FG's and XP's, and kick off.

side note: I really wish we used a back up QB as the holder instead of Colquitt. I like the "threat" of a trick play with a back up QB back there compared to the punter.
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
starbarkc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this super kicker idea, saves a roster spot. I don't see a ps spot as a waste if we can develop him. Anybody remember the dark years between Aguiar and Colquitt? Turrrible. How about Oakland drafting Seabass in the first round. They have some amazing weapons in their kickers and that non-traditional strategy has worked out pretty well for them.

Of course, then what do you do if this guy gets injured? Cut someone to sign two kickers? What if it is only for a couple weeks?
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's only here to lighten the load on DQ and Ryan.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want an extra kicker in camp mainly for two purposes as I understand it, A) don't overwork your main kicker/punter and risk injury(lots of kickoff and punt return practice for the return men needed), and B) to have someone ready to call up in case of injury during the season. I really think that's the main reason he's still here. I doubt he'd go to the PS, because we need those spots for actual scout team work as offense and defense, but also to develop more "important" positions. PS gives no relative security of keeping him over him just being on the street, because if someone wants him, it'd be for their active roster, because no one keeps kickers on their PS, at least not that I've ever heard of.

^ryknowssd on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: