Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Five questions from Ravens camp - by Pat Kirwin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlaccoForever

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Five questions from Ravens camp - by Pat Kirwin Reply with quote

Good article overall, here's something very interesting:

Quote:
2. Is it time to give Flacco a new contract?
There is no doubt the Ravens from Bisciotti on down recognize that Flacco is their franchise quarterback and they feel like they have a very good offer on the table. I doubt they will raise that offer significantly between now and the end of the season. One Ravens executive said, "We might have some fans that will criticize us for the offer we have on the table because it's too much." I asked Flacco about the situation and he convinced me his focus right now is football and the deal will get done in good time. If he has a great season the Ravens are prepared to raise their offer, but if he doesn't the deal on the table now or a franchise tag will be the option. After watching Flacco practice I think he's on his way to a very successful season. That being said, I would hate to see him risk injury this season and miss out on the deal sitting there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19755235/five-questions-from-ravens-camp

I wonder how much they offered Joe? Hmmmm LOL
The fans who may be upset when this contract is finalized will just have to wake up and realize that good to elite Quarterbacks in today's NFL come at a pretty steep price.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Ravens really do have an offer on the table that will "surprise" fans with how much it is, I wonder whats holding up getting it signed. I trust that Joe is focused strictly on football and not worried about the contract, but getting it signed before the season starts is the only true way that it will taken care of. I know it will happen sooner or later, but after some of these news stories I dont see why it cant get done sooner.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably $15m a year or so.

Just be prepared for a lot more Flacco bashing once a deal gets signed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to get scared that it will blow my prediction out of the park. My hope is that it's something like a $12.7m/year incentives laden deal that could allow it to reach $15-16m... but I could settle for a straight up $14m/year with minimal incentives. If he gets a straight up $15m, I'll be pretty peaved. I mean, I'm a believer in Joe being a top 10 QB in terms of physical talent, but fact is, he's never produced the numbers to make me comfortable with him hogging up that kind of cap space.. at least not to this point in his career.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I'm starting to get scared that it will blow my prediction out of the park. My hope is that it's something like a $12.7m/year incentives laden deal that could allow it to reach $15-16m... but I could settle for a straight up $14m/year with minimal incentives. If he gets a straight up $15m, I'll be pretty peaved. I mean, I'm a believer in Joe being a top 10 QB in terms of physical talent, but fact is, he's never produced the numbers to make me comfortable with him hogging up that kind of cap space.. at least not to this point in his career.

Diamond I'm pretty certain that the Ravens aren't going to give Joe $15 mil a year straight up. I believe Joe will get somewhere in the $13 to $14 mil a year range and that will upset some fans (haters) since some of them think Joe only deserves $8-$10 mil a year (true story, nuts on 105.7 the fan). Good to elite quarterbacks in today's NFL aren't going to come cheap. QBs are just going to get paid more and more money over the next few years. We hype these QBs up and have constant debates about them but when they get paid some people lose their minds over the price (not you). This is a QB league and it is the most important position in sports.
drd23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from a Flacco hater (I'm still undecided on him but acknowledge that it'd be stupid to let him walk) and I've said multiple times that Flacco's performance only justifies an $8-10m/yr contract, but given the premium that is placed on QBs, I could probably live with a contract at about $12m/yr.

Higher than $15m/yr for a QB that seems to struggle to put to together long stretches where he is consistent good (he tends to for periods where he'll have a 90% completion % and then he'll go 3 for 8, which I think is probably more damaging than just going at a constant 60-62% as you never know when those bad patches are coming) will be absurd

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistically he really isnt that impressive when compared with the rest of the highest paid QBs (save Big Ben and Vick), but the big argument that Joe has is the 4 straight playoff appearances and wins each time. Ive said before that ideally I would like a contract somewhere around what Phillip Rivers got. However Rivers probably got a little bit overpaid at the time with 38 million in guarantees plus it was a couple years ago when he got the contract. But slotting him above Rivers puts him at least on par with Eli Manning and in the same conversation as Roethlisberger, Brady and Peyton Manning. As impressive as 4 playoff appearances is, those guys all have Super Bowl rings. I definitely thinking we will see a big number, justified or not, thats the direction that the league is going in.
FlaccoForever

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
I'm far from a Flacco hater (I'm still undecided on him but acknowledge that it'd be stupid to let him walk) and I've said multiple times that Flacco's performance only justifies an $8-10m/yr contract, but given the premium that is placed on QBs, I could probably live with a contract at about $12m/yr.

Higher than $15m/yr for a QB that seems to struggle to put to together long stretches where he is consistent good (he tends to for periods where he'll have a 90% completion % and then he'll go 3 for 8, which I think is probably more damaging than just going at a constant 60-62% as you never know when those bad patches are coming) will be absurd

His performance in the AFC Title game alone pushed his price past $12 mil a year, Ozzie and company were highly impressed. They actually believe in his potential and are not only fixated on his first four years, you know players do get paid on potential too. If he has a monster year he will get more than $15 mil a year and so far he's been great during training camp.
FlaccoForever

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
Statistically he really isnt that impressive when compared with the rest of the highest paid QBs (save Big Ben and Vick), but the big argument that Joe has is the 4 straight playoff appearances and wins each time. Ive said before that ideally I would like a contract somewhere around what Phillip Rivers got. However Rivers probably got a little bit overpaid at the time with 38 million in guarantees plus it was a couple years ago when he got the contract. But slotting him above Rivers puts him at least on par with Eli Manning and in the same conversation as Roethlisberger, Brady and Peyton Manning. As impressive as 4 playoff appearances is, those guys all have Super Bowl rings. I definitely thinking we will see a big number, justified or not, thats the direction that the league is going in.

Eli and Rivers are going to get new contracts that will blow their current contracts out of the water, Eli's next deal will more than likely push him into the $18-$20 mil range. The 2013 free agent QB market is pretty weak, Joe and Matt Schaub headline the group, both of their prices will go up. Some fans may not like what the Ravens give Joe but they better accept it, no point in being bitter over it, it's not their money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: