You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric's quick mock!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Eric's quick mock! Reply with quote

Bored so i figured id do a real quick 10 min mock, here we go.

Players resigned:
Chris Cook - 1 year - Zimmer thinks he can turn Cook around.
Jamarcus Webb - 1 year
Everson Griffen - 4 years - 24 million, 12 million guaranteed.
Fred Evans - 1 year
Marcus Sherels - 1 year
Matt Cassel - 2 years - 10 million
John Carlson - restructured to make 2 million per year.
Chad Greenway <Restructured>

Not resigned/Cut/traded:
Jerome Simpson
Kevin Williams
Letroy Guion
Larry Dean
Jared Allen
Josh Freeman
Erin Henderson
Des Bishop
C.Johnson
Joe Berger

Free agency:

The Minnesota Vikings sign MLB D'Qwell Jackson to a 3 year, 18 million dollar contract - The Vikings bring in Jackson to fill a hole at MLB and let A.Cole move to SLB where he should be effective in Zimmers defensive scheme. Meanwhile they get leadership and a tackling machine in Jackson.

The Minnesota Vikings sign NT Linval Joseph to a 5 year, 30 million dollar contract - The Vikings decide to bring in some talent at DT next to Shariff Floyd. Hoping to get a big impact from Joseph. Will be a 3 down player next to Floyd. And the Vikings are set at DT for the next 5-10 years.

Depth signings: DE Willie Young

NFL Draft:

1. The Vikings select........ Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Quote:
Pure BPA pick, simialar to the Adrian Peterson pick years ago. While WR isnt a need, the Vikings just cant pass up on a talent like Watkins. He is a legit number 1 WR, leaving Jennings in the slot and CP as the #2/gadget guy. Plus the Vikings are gonna need that new superstar on offense for the next 10 years, because Adrian isnt gonna be around forever. Also makes it alot easier for whomever is throwing the ball.

2. The Vikings select.... Jason Verrett, CB/NCB, TCU
Quote:
Verrett fills arguably the Vikings biggest need, which is NCB. He is a fast, athletic CB whom has excellent cover skills. But will slip do to less than ideal size. He could potentially play on the outside, but that will be up to coaches

3. The Vikings select..... Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illionois
Quote:
Once again not the biggest need but the Vikings see Ward as BPA. And no doubt they would like to find the answer at S across from Harrison Smith. Ward brings excellent covering skills, and tremendous versitility. He would come in and immediately have a chance to start. A perfect compliment to Smith.

3. The Vikings select..... Christian Jones, OLB/MLB, FSU
Quote:
Jones' stock has been up and down, and right now its down. But there is no doubt that Jones has superb talent. He has sideline to sideline ability. Was pretty average at the combine, and must improve shedding blockers. But Zimmer sees a future pro-bowler in Jones

4. The Vikings select.... Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
Quote:
Gaines is a prospect who has helped out his stock in a big way at the combine, has great size at 6 ft 1/4. He ran a blazing fast 4.3 40 yard dash and did well in other drills. He was also a very good coverage man at Rice last year, and had 18 pass breakups. (2nd in the nation i believe) He will come in and have an opportunity to start at RCB. Competing with Cook and Robinson. But viewed as the future next to Rhodes.

5. The Vikings select..... Tom Savage, QB, Pitt
Quote:
Savage is a talent QB whom has all the tools to succeed in the NFL. But is still somewhat raw. But he will have the luxery of sitting behind Matt Cassel for a year or two. Big arm, great size, and solid athlete. Under the wings of Norv Turner, should be ready to compete by next year

6. The Vikings select..... Russell Bodine, G, NC
Quote:
Bodine has brute strength, and is an under-rated athlete. He posseses an overall good skillset. And could be the next late round offensive lineman to pan out for the Vikings. Could compete with Baca(whom im a believer in)

7. The Vikings select..... Stephen Morris, QB, Miami
Quote:
Morris is another supremely talented player, but fell on his face this past season. Was bad at the senior bowl and combine. He makes some beautiful 20-30 yard passes on a rope but then turns around and misses a guy 5 yards away. Has potential, but is ultimately another project for Norv.

UDFA's: RB Isaiah Crowell, DE Larry Webster

Depth chart coming.,.,,

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like everything you did in this mock ... wait ... then you drafted Stephen Morris Razz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jackson being ranked one of the worst LBers in football by PFF means nothing on this board? Yuck. No thanks. Sounds like Greenway to me, makes a lot of tackles after a 5 yard gain.....and I think relying on Cook to help this team at all is folly at this point. He's Ponder like at CB, with even more time to show how bad he is.

I would not be opposed to Watkins, but it wouldn't be my first choice. And I think he's gone before they pick also.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Browns fans have stated that he was a solid LB in a 4-3 defense but was extremely out of place in a 3-4 defense a lot of reason why he was so bad in PFF rankings which often get looked at in a vacuum without comments otherwise about surrounding talent and scheme.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
The Browns fans have stated that he was a solid LB in a 4-3 defense but was extremely out of place in a 3-4 defense a lot of reason why he was so bad in PFF rankings which often get looked at in a vacuum without comments otherwise about surrounding talent and scheme.

and Vikings fans for years pointed out how good player x was, when teh analysis showed he wasn't. I generally trust "science" over fans.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaines certainly did up his stock, but not to the 4th round.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
jshowers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Gaines certainly did up his stock, but not to the 4th round.

He may have.

Don't know why he wouldn't be considered a better prospect than Desir at this point. Size, measurables, consistent production. Huge riser. He's in my post-combine top 64 prospects.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A team would have to be putting a lot of stock in the combine for that to happen IMO. Prior to the combine he was fringe draftable based on what he did on Saturdays.

Post combine he solidified himself with a draftable grade.

I'd be willing to sig bet that he doesn't go that high with the depth in this class.

jshowers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
A team would have to be putting a lot of stock in the combine for that to happen IMO. Prior to the combine he was fringe draftable based on what he did on Saturdays.

I'd be willing to sig bet that he doesn't go that high with the depth in this class.

Haha no I'm good on the sig bet.

But he was pretty dang good on Saturdays too... Just one of those guys whose name didn't generate much buzz until now.

2 year captain, 1st team All-Conference USA for 2 yrs in a row, 38 pass breakups for the all-time school record, preseason coaches choice for C-USA defensive player of the year in 2013, Watch list for Jim Thorpe and Walter Camp awards.

This guy has some accolades to his name.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate this mock in that it addresses the defensive backfield and NT, but I don't think the Vikings see their priorities in this same sense.

Bringing in a FA MLB is not what this team needs for a short term future. This team needs that leader on defense that's going to be the go-to guy for a decade. Post-combine being what it is with measurables n all, I like Mosley at #8 ---- however, after Mack's little performance, I would also love to see him in purple.

Bodine is a guy that I can't see lasting until Rd 6 . . . 310 lbs, 5.16 40 and 6 million reps on the bench? Laughing I didn't see his work in drills, and his shuttle and cone weren't fast, so I see him sliding a bit, but no coach or GM will overlook the blend of speed and strength.

The most interesting part of this draft to me is not filling in DE and letting Allen walk.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Haha no I'm good on the sig bet.

But he was pretty dang good on Saturdays too... Just one of those guys whose name didn't generate much buzz until now.

2 year captain, 1st team All-Conference USA for 2 yrs in a row, 38 pass breakups for the all-time school record, preseason coaches choice for C-USA defensive player of the year in 2013, Watch list for Jim Thorpe and Walter Camp awards.

This guy has some accolades to his name.

No denying that, Gaines was one of my guys to watch at the beginning of this year.

In a year without as much overall depth in the draft I could see him cracking the end of the middle to the end of the 5th, but the more I watch and rank this draft is just unreal. I want the Vikes to somehow end up with 13-15 picks this year. I've got guys with 2nd/early 3rd grades that are going to be coming off the board in the 4th/5th round.

jshowers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree RPM, this is draft is crazy deep. Huge influx of talent for the league. I've also got guys with solid 2nd/3rd round grades that will likely be getting picked in the 5th or later. Ross Cockrell, Dakota Dozier, Trai Turner, Devin Street, so many examples.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to add all of those guys. I went back and watched more of Cockrell following the combine because his long speed didn't match up what I saw in his cut ups and the game I recorded vs A&M.

Crazy ball skills.

Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be willing to do a sig bet that Gaines will go in the top 5 rounds.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Eric. Linval and Jackson would be nice additions in the interior of the defense. I don't think Sammy is realistic and don't like either of the QBs but that's subjective. If Watkins makes it past Cleveland and Oakland, there is no chance he gets past Tampa. The rest of the draft is superb.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: